488 Spider Dead Battery | FerrariChat

488 Spider Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by platoonsargent, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. platoonsargent

Jan 4, 2022
    USA
    Hi all,

My 488 spider’s battery is dead, in fact it’s so dead that the car does not even detect the key fob so I cannot unlock the door electronically. I know I can use the physical key blade to unlock the car, but I’m curious as to if that would trigger the alarm to go off. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of old people who complain easily about noise, so I have to ask

2. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    if the battery is dead, what is going to power the alarm?

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It may depend on how flat the battery is. I've used the battery disconnect and triggered the siren on my F355. Siren have their own batteries. The siren may have responded to a sudden drop in external battery voltage (rather than a slow decay).

Was the car put into alarm mode when parked? I believe the siren remembers if the system has been armed or not (even if the car battery goes flat). However, the siren shouldn't respond to opening doors, lids, etc, if the car battery has been disconnected. The sensors of these only talk to the alarm ECU, not the siren.

Experts?

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are you okay with installing the new battery yourself? The alarm should not go off if you use the key.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There is an alternative. Get a 7 or 10Ah Ctek charger. Get an adapter like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ctek-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Conditioner-Adapter-Cable-Magnetic-Type-/182967461758?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

With that adapter you can connect a proper charger to the magnetic charge port of your car. It may not recover your battery fully, but it should be able to charge the battery enough to open the car and perhaps start it. The OEM charger is not able to charge a flat battery, and most certainly not able to recover it. A Ctek of either 7 or 10 Ah normally is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

f355spider likes this.
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #6 f355spider, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Be aware some battery tenders are not capable of charging a discharged battery. It depends on how the microprocessor is programmed. The voltage cut off of what the minimum it needs to see to begin charging varies with manufacturer. Ctek is one of the better ones with a relatively low threshold of 2 volt minimum. Some brands can be as high as 8 or 9 vts. So worth checking.

Also a smaller is battery tender is usually just as capable as a larger amperage charger at recovering a discharged battery, the difference is simply the speed. It could take a few days at 1 or 1.5 amps versus less than a day at 7 or 8 amps. Even faster at 20 or 50amps. The negative to faster is it is harder on the battery. Low and slow, is often easier on the battery and better for longevity.