488 Spider -Engine Malfunction Light | FerrariChat

488 Spider -Engine Malfunction Light

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Candiceg, Sep 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Candiceg

Candiceg Rookie

Jul 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Candice Gharakhanian
    Hi there! I'm new to the forum. Just picked up a 2018 488 Spider and barely got to drive it. The Engine malfunction light went on. Took it to the dealer, and it showed a misfire when they ran the diagnostics test. They said they will check the coils. They are known to cause this malfunction due to soot build up. The car has less than 5k miles on it! Has anyone else encountered this issue? Be nice! I'm new here, thanks! :)

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Not sure if soot build up would affect the coils... The spark plugs, ok, but the coils? Coils are usually failing due to age and heat. 5K is very young to have a coil failure. Might be soot issue if the car was primarly used in city driving, and maybe bad fuel? You could check the valve for build up probably.

3. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Had a similar issue on my old 488 Spider, was just a cracked spark plug. Have them check these carefully and it’s about as cheap of a repair as you can have.