488 spider homelink programmming | FerrariChat

488 spider homelink programmming

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JSpencer, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSpencer

JSpencer Rookie

Aug 22, 2017
    Just bought a 2017 488 Spider...did not come with the Ferrari homelink manual. It has been a nightmare trying to programming the homelink for my garage doors. I have a lift master 8550. I have reviewed the homelink website extensively, searched this forum and tried many different ways in accordance with the directions...replaced remote battery, tried different ways to use the learn button assuming i need that for the rolling code, held the remote in different places...but nothing works. Whenever I initially press any of the 3 buttons and holding the garage remote, it never gets to the second step of a rapidly flashing light or no flash...just flashes slowly then eventually stops flashing...

I would be grateful if someone could post instructions which have worked. I suspect that the 488 instructions are different than the 458 instructions which i have tried many times now.

Thanks!

2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    You need an adapter....the 488 can not be programmed straight up with a Liftmaster opener.
    Call them to discuss the adapter you need. I decided to just use the remote control and not go through the hassle.

3. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    As rocketman stated, you need a HomeLink Compatibility Bridge sold by Liftmaster. It's like $30 and it does work with homelink.

4. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I've had problems with rolling code units before so changed controllers on doors to non-rolling code units. Cheap & eliminated a lot of aggravation over the years.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I just use the control. Couldn't figure it out on my 488 gtb.

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Available on Amazon. I needed one for my '11 458. Now I can open my Liftmaster with the Homelink button.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So I am able to reprogram the remotes on both other cars in 20 seconds with the same procedure as specified by the Homelink docs that came with the cars and they are the same as for the 488. The problem here seems to be that the 488 system is different? The Cali T used Homelink and I had no problem with programming it and the Maserati and RR have Homelink and reprogram easily and quickly. What is different about the Homelink in the 488?

I do have a liftmaster opener but the other cars all have homelink in them and they work so why should I need a homelink bridge for the 488 if my liftmaster works with other homelink transmitter/controllers?

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    OK so I figured it out. I went to the Homelink site and found that indeed the unit in the car works with the Liftmaster 3255 which I have. So the car unit appeared to be programmed because it flashed fast but there was one issue. On the 488 once the indicator on the mirror flashed fast it still flashed fast after depressing it and the garage door didn't open so I followed the extra steps relating to the LEARN button on the Liftmaster unit. The key there is to press the LEARN button on the liftmaster unit and then press the button on the mirror unit for two seconds until the light stops flashing. One time isn't enough, on the second or third try the garage door opens. That was my error yesterday, not doing enough of the learning sequences with the mirror button.

rw99 likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I just use the remote. So much easier.

Art138 likes this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Until you lose the remote. The mirror in the car is the easiest if you can get past the confusing hurdle of the LEARN mode. It's not really hard to do, just a bit confusing but it will work on the second or third push of the button.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Don’t get me wrong- if I could program the damn thing I’d do it. Just haven’t been willing to invest in the brain damage required. Maybe I’ll give it a shot again...

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well here is the thing, I have demonstrated that it will work if the correct procedure is followed. That is what was not clear with the OP here. I think that armed with the knowledge it can be done without this bridge thing, you can have success. To recap.

Hold the button you want to program on the mirror for 20 seconds until it starts flashing fast. Then go to your garage door opener and push the LEARN button. Then back to the car and push the button on the mirror to be programmed for two seconds until it stops flashing and then release it. Repeat that process until the garage door opens or closes and you should be golden after that. The car can be parked in the garage while you are doing all this.

rw99 and SoCal to az like this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ll givr it a shot this weekend

wrs likes this.
  14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I tried this so many times and it didn’t work. Had enough and I bought the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    OK so as not to confuse everyone here. I went to this link on the Chamberlain site and found that only the 2018 488 doesn't need the bridge. Looks like all the years prior say the bridge is required. I only checked for my year model before I followed the procedure correctly. So if yours isn't a 2018 then you are right, you need the bridge.

http://bridge.chamberlain.com/#/select/vehicle-device-info/1

Labman likes this.
  16. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Has anyone with an F8 been successful in pairing their homelink to the garage door?

17. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Call HomeLink -- you need to listen to a litany of instructions/directions, but then you get a helpful customer service person at the end. They got my 488 HomeLink connection (garage only) up and running in a minute or two. 1-800-355-3515.

18. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My F8 worked fine, right away. Didn't need the bridge that my older Cali T did.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I could never get my 458 to work with my opener. Guess I needed a bridge.
    I used a small remote (not ideal; could be stolen, or cloned by any unscrupulous person who has custody of your car), until I realized I could use my phone with the MyQ app.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Here is the answer

You need to buy the homelink bridge kit. About 30 bucks PN 855LM

Get it directly from liftmaster.

Your program the remotes that come with that to your homelink because the ones that came with your original garage door opener are incompatible as you have discoveree

Hours of research and speaking to garage door people to figure it out

Accepting gifts because I know you want to send one to me because you have been frustrated over this for a long time now

I have a 2018 488 btw

21. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

Certain models of garage door openers need it and other don't. It more dependent on which model garage door opener you have vs the model of car

Need4Spd likes this.
  22. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    same opener. CaliT needed the bridge and my F8 didn’t. I can’t speak as to what changed on the Ferrari side.

in any case….if you are having trouble, buy the cheap bridge.

23. skilly

skilly Rookie

Mar 15, 2024
    Bay2LA CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    thanks to everyone sharing the details. I have a 2018 and checked that homelink link and it turns out I don't need a bridge. Im stuck in the learning mode on the car itself. I pressed the 2 outer buttons for resetting the homelink system - all three are now slowly flashing, which is supposed to rapid flash once it takes the information from the remote. I can't get that happen.

Is there a trick on where you should place the garage remote as you are trying to get the homelink to adopt that programming? I have been holding it 1 to 3 inches away. Moving it around...just can't get it to work. Car is going for service on Wednesday to ask but wondered if anyone found a sweet spot. Sounds like a lot of people just opted for the physical remote to avoid the hassle.

24. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    You need the bridge despite what the link states. I called after going what you went through and finally spoke to a Lvel 2 tech. She told me the link info is correct for some 2018's but not for others. Ferrari buys a quantity of working remotes and they don't install the new ones until they reun out. They do not wait to start fresh for a new model year. I have a 2018. and went through all the madness like you are doing now. Got the bridge and everything worked. Get it directly from Chamberlain as they made a new version that works with the newer garage door openers.

25. skilly

skilly Rookie

Mar 15, 2024
    Bay2LA CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    you just saved me a lot of head scratching - thanks for the recommendation. It was the sum of a lot of the feedback in the post, but hearing it out stopped me from spending the next hour in the garage trying to get it work!