488 Spider parking sensor failure | FerrariChat

488 Spider parking sensor failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jaldo, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    #1 Jaldo, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our 2016 488 is having a problem . After driving it for a few minutes,the parking sensor failure warning appears on the dashboard for a few seconds,then the "P" with the cone stays on (see picture). There were no obstacles around the car while moving on the highway.
    The car was at the dealership for two days and they didn't find anything wrong. The minute I drove out,the light came on.
    I took a video to show the dealership the problem.
    Trying to see if anybody is having the same issue,or recommendations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    #2 Jaldo, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I know the dealer probably checked but I must ask a dumb question. Have you had the car detailed recently? I briefly had this issue when the detailer left wax on the sensor.

4. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    The car hasn't been detailed recently. No obstruction on the sensors.

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No plastic film over them? It has been known to cause issues tho I've never heard of this particular failure message.

You can clear it by turning off the parking sensors on the upper console? And turn it back on the message reappears?

If so, then a sensor is bad or the cable is loose or unconnected to a sensor. Or perhaps the sensor (SCU?) controller is faulty.

SV

6. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    No film on sensors.
    In the last picture above, you can see the message that says "ok to close ,when you do so, the P with the cone (top picture) stays on. Sometimes it goes away while driving, other times when you start car over. As far as sensor failure goes, you can see all the sensors working (front and back) on the screen.

7. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    I have the same problem though intermittently on my 458. If I start the car and drive forward then the parking sensor failure does not come on when I subsequently engage reverse. If I engage reverse straight after I start the car, the sensor failure light comes up, though not always. All the sensors are working fine when the sensor failure light does not come up. Baffling.......

8. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    My problem was resolved,and it was one of the sensors that was failing.

9. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    I will let the dealer look at it at it's next service as I cannot understand why it only happens intermittently