488 Spider to GTC4 Lusso: would you do it? | FerrariChat

488 Spider to GTC4 Lusso: would you do it?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Principissimo, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Hello to all of you!
    Did anybody did what I'm thinking to do?
    I'm considering selling 488 spider to buy a GTC4 Lusso.
    Can I ask your opinion?
    Thanks

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My opinion is that these are two very distinct vehicles with different missions.
    What are you hoping to achieve with the change? What are your priorities? Understanding this may help in your decision-making.

Caeruleus11 and Principissimo like this.
  3. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Good question deserves a good answer.

In last 5 Years I had 2 Porsche Turbo S (997 and 991), a 458 Italia, and Huracan, an Huracan Performante and now a 488 Spider. I've loved them a lot but, finally, when I drive them I tend to go too fast cause that's what they are made for.
    I hope that a GTC4 could help me to start slowing down cause it is a supercar but even a GT. ;)

Caeruleus11 and C50 like this.
  4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Odd change. Do you just want to have the a supercar, or do you actually care about what the car accomplishes for you?

It's not like a gtc4 is going to be that much more usable. You're going to be going very fast very quickly no matter what modern exotic you buy.

If you want to go slower, buy a much slower car like an AM or a Bentley or maybe even a nice Mercedes GT. 991 GT3 maybe? V10 non-plus R8 RWD?

Just about any modern super car is way too fast for public roads imo, so you won't find yourself going much slower unless you buy a much lower powered (and older) car.

Principissimo likes this.
  5. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    You touched a nice point ;)
    As a matter of fact I'm contemplating different things ;)

6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Not sure if you’re familiar w the American expression “lead foot,” but I think you have a lead foot (I say this with fondness as I also have a foot made of lead) and the GTC4 will not save you from yourself
    ;)
    Perhaps an older air-cooled 911 or something along the lines of a 205 rallye?
    Sporty but with less power, less driver aids
    It’s a good problem to have.
    I look forward to your solution.

7. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I do have a lead foot ;)
    Unfortunately I only love modern cars ;) I have never had a car older than three years or with more than 10k miles on it. This attitude I can't change.

I've also considered AMG GT but the interiors look too old for me and same for DB11 :(

Was even considering 992 4S or the new Tycan. I'm really at a loss my friend!

8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well the perfect car for you has just been released, 812 GTS! Given that you are from Italy you will probably get one sometime next year.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my FF makes me want to drive fast - i dont have much seat time with lusso but it is a bit more refined - maybe that will help

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Bruno,

I very much understand the principle behind your question, and I think the GTC4Lusso would be a perfect match for what you’re aiming to experience and extract from your Ferrari.

Just one question out of curiosity, if I may: what GTC4Lusso are you considering? The V8 turbo or the naturally aspirated V12?

Tanti cari saluti!

Nuno.

11. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    FF, Lusso V12 Lusso T all Fast! V12 sound though tremendous! good luck

12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LussoT drives more like the 488 and is a bit more nimble especially apparent in the city and quick punches. The V12 is magic sound but you need space to rev and it will need an exhaust as the 488 is nice via stock, the Lusso12 is very quite at low revs. Good luck.. you really can't go wrong. All different experiences.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have both. Usability of Lusso much higher than 488 Spider. There are three big differences between the two cars - usability, mid v front engine and V12 n/a v V8 turbo.

If nimble and light-feeling plus brilliant handling is important to you, the mid-engined 488 is far ahead. The V12 is a wonderful engine but it is bigger and revs more purposefully but not as lightly as the V8. It is also heavier to steer the Lusso at high speed and the overall feeling is of a more brutish car. It is a wonderful car to drive though - a car more than a toy. But there is no denying, it is not as nimble or fun a car on the limit.

There is something wonderful about big n/a engines but these Ferrari turbos drive great on the road even if the throttle response is not quite as sharp. It’s a big reason why you might choose a Lusso though. These n/a engines are dying out and it’s a fair bet the big V12 might not be around for too much longer in the purest guise. If you haven’t tried one it’s well worth it. Can’t help thinking an 812 is a better idea though, unless you need the four seats.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Hi Nuno I'm considering the V12 only ;)

15. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thanks a lot. Very helpful!

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    New Aston Vantage. It's modern, new, and slow as **** (relatively speaking). Think of it as a more exotic but likely lower performance/way more expensive AMG GT.

New Continental GT is sexy, exotic, and also slow.

There's really nothing else new that will be "slow". Even the slowest exotics are very quick if you have a heavy foot.

17. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Continental is a car I'm considering. Actually Wraith also ;)

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If your primary motive in trading your 488 for a Lusso is to curtail your propensity for excessive speed, then your rationale has little sense. The Lusso is still a very fast car. Alternatively, if you want a car that offers greater comfort, versatility and usability, then that would be a logical strategy.

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can drive the Lusso V12 in comfort mode and it will only gently egg you on to go faster faster faster. If you put it into sport mode, it then wants to go faster faster faster even more. I think it could work, but I think you should get a test drive to be sure. Its a wonderful car, I highly recommend it overall, just know you'll face some stiff depreciation.

20. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    I am having some issue with my new Lusso T when I drive through small speed breaker or uneven roads I feel the suspension moving around a little and make uncomfortable noise ,I sent to dealer they couldn’t find anything,do you notice loose suspension feeling when you drive your T on speed breakers? I have no problem on regular road or at high speed ,sorry to bother you but I want a feedback from same new Lusso T owner :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sorry to hear, nothing on this side bud, its very stable and actually quite firm in the sport setting so I need to put on the "bumpy road" mode from time to time. Hopefully it all works out.

Mike Chawla likes this.