488 Stock RWHP Data | FerrariChat

488 Stock RWHP Data

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Viperjoe, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I searched this forum as well as the web but found little Dyno data showing the RWHP of a bone stock 488. I mostly found before and after mods Dyno data which indicated that in stock form, the 488 puts ~525 HP to the rear wheels. Ferrari rates the engine at 661 BHP, so if both data points are accurate, that suggests frictional and rotational losses to be ~21% which is typically what you’d find in a conventional front engine/transmission and rear drive axle configuration. Modern Mid-engine cars typically have significantly lower frictional/rotational losses so I’m at a loss to reconcile these data. The aftermarket isn’t bashful about fudging numbers so perhaps that’s the answer. If the RWHP data was closer to 600, I could believe that. But 525? Somethings amiss here.

Opinions welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I forget where (maybe the 488/720 thread?)), but I have seen independent dyno data for the 488 that read 708 bhp and another (different source) that read around 720/730 bhp.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think that was not wheel power though, but rather "computed" engine power (derived from dyno wheel measurement).

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I think you are right.

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. John117

John117 Rookie

Sep 14, 2016

I don't like this guy buy his stock 488 Spyder achieved 626 wheel horsepower on a dynojet.

JuniorGTR and Viperjoe like this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The 3 runs averaged a measured 527 hp. The vehicle owner noted that the dyno shop indicated that the "dyno reads low by 15% to 18%", which calls into question the validity of the test data. The graph that is pictured shows 626 hp; it's not clear how the correction was made (temperature and humidity correction factors yield small differences in the raw data). I'd be thrilled if the car in stock trim actually pulled 626 HP, but this test leaves me unconvinced. Thanks for posting; greatly appreciated.

7. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    With maximum boost only in 7th, are dyno runs being done in 7th gear?

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Rolling roads are notoriously inaccurate. Their only usefulness is in validation of before and after states of tune or a comparison of different vehicles.

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Many other videos showing 630+ whp.

10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No. Dyno runs are conducted in the gear having a ratio of 1:1 or closest thereto. In the case of the 488, that would be 5th gear which has a 1:1.15 ratio.

In pure stock form? Can you post a few? I've been unable to find any other than the one posted above.

11. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
  12. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    If the dyno run is being done in 5th, I don’t think the 488 is making full boost. Unless there’s a dyno mode (I doubt it)?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Fabspeed dyno runs were posted in another thread comparing the McLaren 570 and the 488. While the 570 has a claimed 100hp less than the 488 it made the same power to the wheels ~530hp. Either Ferrari is over rating power or McLaren is under rating or maybe both. This may help explain why the 570 runs closely with the 488.

I would imagine there shouldn't be more than a 15% loss from the crank but there are other factors to consider such as temp, barometric pressure, etc.

blkdiablo33 and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hum? Very interesting point that I had not considered!

Another good point. Frictional, rotational and parasitic losses as well as atmospheric correction factors would need to be in the 20% range to yield 530 WHP.

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    any new dyno results fr a 488?

16. turbokraft

turbokraft Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Johnathan David Adams
    Mase tuning in Jacksonville Florida I believe has a stock graph vs. his tune only using a Dyno Dynamics machine, check their website.