488 Undercarriage | FerrariChat

488 Undercarriage

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sean Flex, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean Flex

Sean Flex Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Does anyone have pictures of the undercarriage of their 488 GTB or spider? Does it have an opening in the rear beneath the engine where you can see the engine number?
    Many thanks.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  3. Sean Flex

Sean Flex Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Brilliant! Is this the view from the top or bottom? All I want to understand is if the opening is normal vs an indication of damage.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    opening?

5. Sean Flex

Sean Flex Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Is the picture a view from the top or undercarriage of your car and is it covered?
    Many thanks.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Those photos are from the 488 owners manual

Ray

7. Sean Flex

Sean Flex Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Got it. Thanks!

RayJohns likes this.
  8. 488 owner

488 owner Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Not interested
    Hi Sean,

Did you ever find out where it is and how it can be accessed? I am going through the same problem now. Will I need to put it on a hydraulic lift and take off the bottom? Can it be seen from above? Will I need that camera with the extension?

If I need to take off the bottom, do I need any special tools? Sorry for the barrage of questions!

Hocakes likes this.
  9. Sean Flex

Sean Flex Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Not really. I just let the dealership service department sort out my questions. I saw a video youtube of a 488 oil change that involves removal of the bottom panel and its nontrivial. I wouldn't attempt at home.

10. 488 owner

488 owner Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Not interested
    Thanks Sean. Of course I normally would but there isn't a dealership in the country I am in so I had to get a service that doesn't deal with Ferraris. They were clueless as per my post. Of course I would never get a service or oil change except at a Ferrari approved place from what I've heard.

In any event though, after putting the car up on the lift it was accessible from below and impossible to miss. I thought I'd update the thread for anyone in my position because the pictures from the handbook weren't very helpful.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What's so hard about removing the undertrays? You don't need a lift or a manual. I like to take piece of cardboard and draw the panel on it as I remove the bolts. Push them through the cardboard or tape them on so they go back in the same place. When done you'll have a nice template for future reference and you'll have got to see and touch the real special parts of what makes the car a Ferrari. Most people that crave the CF chassis of the other brands have never even seen a truly great aluminum chassis. They are strong, light and beautiful. They will also never rust like steel or get spongy or crack like production CF.