488 vs 991 turbo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 vs 991 turbo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by saraojo, Feb 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I have driven my 650S and a 488 for hours on the same day. They are very close in terms of power and acceleration...not clear at all. The 675LT is noticeably quicker than the 488
    Handling-wise, I could drive my 650S faster than the 488, but that may be down to familiarity (the 488 was not mine), as I found the 488 deeply impressive...The 675LT is miles ahead of both on handling, I was shocked how big an improvement it is over the 650S

2. monacodibaviera

monacodibaviera Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CD
    It is well known that Porsche official acceleration times are conservative and pretty much every owner will be able to achieve those. Third party measurements usually come out way quicker. So whatever Porsche says on their website "on paper" figure the car is quite a bit faster than that in real life. Ferrari, uhm, is a bit on the other side of the spectrum. But I still love them.

I haven't driven the new turbos but I personally, didn't feel like I'm getting much out of the car. My 997 turbo in overboost mode was so wicked fast. I would floor the paddle on some highway interchanges and within 2 seconds the speed was in the triple digits and shortly after in stratosphere where it's jail time. It's too much and oddly too easy - it's the no drama aspect that people consider as muted/boring. It just does what it's supposed to do. On a autobahn in Germany I'll take it.

So I sold the turbo and my GT3 afterwards provided a lot more pleasure on road and track.

The 458 is best at that IMO. Even when I go at lower speeds through back country roads the drama and excitement of sound and shifts is second to none. It may not be the fastest but unless you participate in quarter mile races I couldn't care less. The 458 is the most exiting car I've ever driven and that's why it's a keeper. Worth every penny.

For quarter mile, I'd go with RUF Porsche hands down. It'll smoke any super car and keep up in the hyper car league of Bugatti and koenigsegg.

3. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    RUF Porsche is a nice keyword..., 997 9ff 670hp vs 488 670hp:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP16Jwfts5w[/ame]

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    What is becoming clear is that the 488 has a lovely growl to the exhaust at lower revs

5. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    My 488 is Noticeably louder then my 458 in every RPM range until redline.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree. My Speciale was louder and had some different sounds also, just not the top end rev high wail. Depends what you want.