488 vs. Huracan 580-2 vs. McLaren 570S | FerrariChat

488 vs. Huracan 580-2 vs. McLaren 570S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ggonzaga, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Hey everyone,

A few months back I made a post here about a Ferrari FF and a California that I was torn on. I decided that I wasn't headed in the right direction; the FF was nice but in a collision and the California just didn't have what I want out of a sports car. Neither of those were the way I wanted to enter this segment.

After lots of research I fell in love with the Huracan 580-2. Yes, I know it's not Ferrari and this is a Ferrari forum but I'm sure you all can appreciate the car's naturally aspirated V10. I've been dead set on this car and was about to order my very special one, when I started to think about alternative options.

I'm in South Florida and it seems like Huracans are all over the place here. It also seems to be the car of choice for posers, rappers, exotic rental customers, and all other types of people that I wouldn't like to mirror myself with. I'm hoping that if I follow through with the Huracan, my spec would be different enough from the rest (no Verde Mantis or the typical yellow/orange for me..) for it to show that I'm someone that actually appreciates the car for how it drives and the brand, not because it's a flashy fast car.

I started thinking of the 488 because it's totally the polar opposite. We rarely see them around here (when comparing to the amount of Huracans in the area), and it would be cool to have a Spyder. The Huracan would be a coupé because I don't like the soft top, but I don't mind the 488 Spyder hard top. I do prefer the GTB because of the glass cover that exposes the engine, but having a car that you can put the top down and cruise in Miami would be handy. My only problem would be that I would buy a lightly used one (partly due to price and partly due to time), so it would mean I could be stuck with a spec I don't love or that is missing options. It also wouldn't be as loud as an NA V10 from the Huracan, but it would definitely be much faster.

I also thought of the McLaren 570S, and I'm utterly impressed by how fast the car is. However if I'm being honest I can barely tell McLarens apart from each other and after sitting in a 570S I really did not like the interior. I also don't like how gimmicky and oddly put-together the car is in terms of the technology. I don't like how there's some stalk that you use behind the steering wheel to interact with the display, and I think the interior quality isn't all that nice. Also would be a car off the lot, most likely new though.

I wanted to hear your thoughts on all three cars. Mainly the 488 and how it compares to the Huracan in terms of performance and ownership enjoyment, if anyone has had the pleasure to own both of these beautiful cars. I was also hoping to get an idea of what the "must-have" options are for the 488, so that I can keep an eye out for that when I'm searching for mine. I already know the ones for the Huracan.

Thanks everyone!

2. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    I’m on the opposite side of you, I never liked the 580-2. The Huracan should be a 610-4. I came close to buying one a while ago. Although I completely understand what you mean and I also wanted to shy away from the leased / rented huracan crowd. I would probably make an exception for the Performante.

As for the 488 I love the look but prefers the 458 so I bought a spider (loved it but didn’t use the convertible top that much).

As for mclaren I had a 570s. I found the build quality to be better than Ferrari (sorry to say but it is true), the interior has the best driving position of any car I’ve ever owned. The 570s is super fast and has the exotic factor with the dihedral doors. I sold it, missed it, but wanted something a bit more extra so I bought a 675LT.

That being said you either are a mclaren fan or you’re not. One thing that I will say is that mclaren really cares about your ownership experience. Their dealer network throws parties and events all the time and brings in teams from management / design / MSO to meet the customers first hand. My Ferrari dealers never did any of that and Porsche sort of do it but not even close to the degree of Mclaren.

So back to your choices I would say 570s is a hell of a car for the money. If you’re picking between huracan or 488 I would say 488. The only huracan I’d get over a 488 is a performante.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wildkalabaw, ktu and Gh21631 like this.
  3. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had 570s, have 488, and had experience with LP580-2, LP610-4, Performante.

Speed wise: 488 and 570S is superior than LP580-2 by a lot. More than what it show on paper.

Value wise: You can get a used 570S for $150k, it is comfortable and very fast. Despite the relatively low cost, LP580-2 I feel is least of car you can buy for the money. I do like LP610-4 and love the Performante.

488 is not yet fully depreciated yet, one hell of car with everyday usability, elegant, not as special as Performante.

In the end all of them are great cars, like them all, LP580-2 in black is absolute jet fighter looking, very very beautiful. Value wise, Gen 2 NSX is also worth a look, had one as well and wish I kept it. For $110k to $140k, that is one hell of a car.

Eric Kurtev and wildkalabaw like this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I own a 2018 488 GTB, so, at one point, I was in the same position as you - McL, Lambo, Potsche, Ferrari. The 488 was the clear winner for me and I am so happy to own one. I received it in late May and already have over 4,000 miles on it. Pure exuberance!

The best advice I can give is buy exactly what YOU want and don’t care about what OTHERS think. Please yourself, not a crowd of strangers.

Regarding finding a used 488 with the options you prefer: I don’t think you will have a difficult time at all finding exactly or very close to what you want.

IPO1 and sfcorsa1 like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Buy one use it for a wile, if it still moves you keep it. If not try something else. All of the above are a lot of fun.

Eric Kurtev and sfcorsa1 like this.
  6. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I had a 2017 488. Loved the car until the problems started. But leaving that aside, I have a 570s now. It's definitely faster than a 488. Its got better infotainment by light years. Styling is always subjective but id give the nod to the 570s there as well. Comfort id give to the 488. Feeling of it being more "special" of a car goes to the 488 but IMO that is because I always wanted a Ferrari and the dream was always Ferrari so thats a bit subjective as well. I recently tuned and did catless exhaust on my 570s and it is a mind blowing car now when you are going quick.

I wouldn't buy another 488. But I might try another Ferrari when the 488 is replaced.

NSXLuvr, Tsachi458 and wildkalabaw like this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Aren't those 3 cars potentially a $100K apart? 488 Spider is a lot more than a used 570S or 580-2... Probably closer to a 720S in price, no?

8. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Stripper high milage 570 coupe would be $150's
    Stripper high milage 488 GTB would be $230-50's
    Stripper higher milage 580-2 would be $190's

Owned 610-4 and would not even entertain a 580. Out of the three you asked, 488 hands down, but different price point.

stavura likes this.
  9. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    What kind of problems did your 488 have? One of the main reasons I never liked Mclaren is because of the reputation they have for not being reliable. I've heard things have changed with the 570S and that the 12C was the more problematic one, but I still want to make sure that whatever I'm driving won't give me a headache. It's not a daily driver, it'll be a weekend car. So I want to make sure the times I do take out the car that everything goes smoothly.

I was also attracted to the Huracan because of that. It's probably one of the most reliable supercars out there right now because of the Audi platform. I'd be willing to go Ferrari since I've heard good things about the newer models, but I'm trying to figure out how these cars are in the long run. I'm going to drive all three cars back to back at a dealership and decide what I most like, but consider what I know the ownership experience will be like in the long run.

As this is my first supercar I might do a 3 year closed end lease so that I can't really go wrong, and have the car while the warranty is there. Otherwise I'd be worried about the resale value of the Mclarens, as they're not as good as the Ferraris or Lamborghinis generally speaking. The Ferrari is the most expensive one but it's also not the "entry-level" car like the 570S is or the Huracan 580-2.

Eric Kurtev likes this.
  10. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    570S would be brand new, around $230k

Huracan 580-2 would also be brand new, at around $260k

488GTB/Spider would be used, I've seen nice ones at $299-329k.

I'm considering leasing the car so that I at least can use this as a learning curve, and depending on how I like the car I can choose something similar or different after 3 years and buy it. So leasing would be like 3-4k monthly for these cars, not a difference that's too major. I looked at a used 720S for 300k, and it's tempting but I think that's way too crazy of a car. Like I was going from a California T at first or an R8 to now looking at a 720S haha. I'll drive it as well and get some numbers on it, but if the car isn't manageable on the road and is more meant for the track then I'll be sticking with the 570/580-2/488. Forgive me, I don't know much about the 720S. I don't know much about Mclarens in general, if I'm being honest.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    if you appreciate sound and drama, the Huracan is the choice of those listed.
    Bargain for sure is the 570s.
    I find the 488 to be playful but boring, sound wise.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Perception may be different but I really doubt the 570S is "definitely faster than a 488" : http://www.zeperfs.com/duel5623-5721.htm

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You should consider buying all of them used IMO. A used 488 is no different than a used 580 or 570. They'll all be practically brand new. You'll save $50-80K buying the 570 and 580 used...

Since you don't know which you'll like, you're much better off testing the waters with a used car.

14. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    While I agree with you, the Huracan would be a special order. I have the spec down already. Grigio Telesto, red stitching on q-citura, nice options, etc. The 570S could be used but I have a really sweet lease offer on a brand new one, so I don't see why not go for it. Plus, leasing is pretty low-risk anyways. I'll have the car while the warranty is active and if I don't like it, I can just get rid of it and never get a McLaren/Ferrari/Lamborghini again after it. I think it's a good way of getting into the game without having to buy a car I might not enjoy owning. I'd definitely consider a pre-owned Huracan or 570S though, if a nice spec comes around and it is in good condition.

15. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    My 488 caught on fire once, then 2 major brake system problems including one that was a total lost of brakes at 140mph. I had problems out of my 458 as well, much more minor though. I would love to believe I got a "friday car", and that others wont have the problems I did.

I have spent time in the Huracan as well. For sound, hard to beat at the price point. Hardest to get in and out of for me though, my head was always hitting the pillar.

16. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I have had them both, I put 7k miles on my 488 and I am at nearly 6k miles on my 570s now. So id literally disagree with the often theoretical performance numbers on that site. See:

Also many 570s are dynoing much higher numbers stock than Mclaren was advertising as well. Where Ferraris tend to actually dyno at lower power than advertised. They weight something like 4-500lbs less as well.

I was seeing 10 mph faster down the back straight at VIR in my 570s and there was more there. Since my 488's brakes failed I find myself stopping early. Ive had both cars there 1 year apart in similar temps.

xfrgtr and dustman like this.
  17. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Wow that's insane, I'm glad to hear you're doing okay though. Would you discourage someone else from getting a 488 after your experience? I know this kind of stuff happens every now and again with Ferraris and it's kind of a crapshoot as you can't really tell if it's going to happen to yours, so it's hard to draw a conclusion.

As for the Huracan, I don't have a problem getting in an out of it from my past experience. I think it's a well-rounded car, but I'm not sure it's the best of the bunch. Definitely the winner in terms of sound though.

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd hold off on your purchase a few months. They're only getting cheaper and the financial markets aren't looking to hot right now (though I think it's oversold). Deals to be had even on new cars very, very soon IMO.

Even if you custom order a Huracan, ask for a discount. A $260K 580-2 has a **** load of profit built into it. I didn't even think a 580-2 could get that expensive.

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Just buy what YOU like.

20. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    If u like lots of attention & great sounding exhaust go Lamborghini
    If you like something a little different with proper supercar doors go Mcl
    If you more into the drive & feel of the car then go 488

570 has little downforce at high speeds so once u r above 180km/hr the rear end feels loose and same thing under hard braking, which does not inspire confidence at all. It feels faster straight line and is very nimble around tight corners.

21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Too often people approach these car decisions as the fininte decision, as in I’m buying this one car and I’ll never buy another again so this decision better be right.

Truth is each and every one of the cars that you listed you can’t go wrong. Each has its quirks and pros and cons and there is no perfect car.

Buy one used. I would never lease as it’s like tossing money down the toilet but that’s just me. After having owned most of these brands here are my suggestions:

Buy whatever car you decide on used. No it won’t be the perfect spec but you will find one 90% to your liking.

After a year- trade it in, buy something else.

Once you buy one- you will get hooked and want to buy others.

Good luck as you have some great choices there.

Jamie traina and theplanner like this.
  22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    simply too true, so buy used first.

theplanner likes this.
  23. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I wouldn't tell people not to buy a 488, but I would not buy a new one. Let someone else take that big dip that's coming in those cars. I would also be sure its fully under warranty and id have a dealer go over it prior to buying if its used. Id love to believe mine was a Friday 4pm built car or a Monday 8am built car. Not sure. I will say this much, I have shared my brake issues several times here and its alarming the amount of PM's I have gotten about similar brake system issues on other 488's and 458's. People tend to not broadcast this as it makes it hard to sell their cars. Just my thoughts.

The 3 are ranked something like this for me on the following key points.
    Looks:
    1. 570s
    2. Huracan
    3. 488

Power:
    1. 570s
    2. 488
    3. Huracan

Sense of passion / connection to the car:
    1. 488
    2. 570s
    3. Huracan

Sound:
    1. Huracan
    2. 570s
    3. 488

Infotainment/interior/stereo:
    1. 570s
    2. 488
    3. Huracan

Comfort (seating/driving position/space in car):
    1. 488
    2. 570s
    3. Huracan

Now if you were to put the Performante into this discussion instead of the regular Huracan, it would win most every bullet point.

Thecadster and Albert-LP like this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That website does not list theoretical numbers. They are the average numbers that various magazines obtained, obviously using different cars. Much more reliable than what a single example of each car does.

25. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    That remains as subjective as anything else. Magazines and such do not often test cars at the same time/condition/tracks/prep/etc.

Hell here is the heavier spider beating a 488, be it not by much its beating it:

At the very worst they are VERY similar in speed. A car thats more than 100k cheaper. My car now had catless exhuast, blow offs and tune. Id leave a 488 for dead, 5k in mods.