488 warranty claim for discoloured carbon fibre engine covers | FerrariChat

488 warranty claim for discoloured carbon fibre engine covers

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Droprename, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Droprename

Droprename Rookie

Dec 11, 2021
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Smith
    Hi all,

Has anyone successfully had their discoloured carbon engine cover replaced via a warranty claim?

As you'll see from this photo, my engine bay cover is significantly discoloured. I had a mechanic at my local Main Dealer say that its the worst he's seen, and that I should start a warranty claim.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

However, when I've started trying to claim I've been told I can’t claim it under warranty but they may be able to do a goodwill claim.

Anyone successfully claimed under warranty?

Many thanks.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  3. Droprename

Droprename Rookie

Dec 11, 2021
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Smith
    I should have mentioned it’s a 2016 car with just 6,300mi on it.
    Anyone else had a similar discolouration at this age / mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If the car’s original bumper-to-bumper is no longer valid (wasn’t extended by the original owner), Ferrari is under no obligation to take corrective action. That said, the level of discoloration shown in the photo is excessive and completely unacceptable. Factor in the lofty price and it’s really quite infuriating. Are you 100% certain that the components are genuine Ferrari?

Droprename likes this.
  5. Droprename

Droprename Rookie

Dec 11, 2021
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Smith
    The warranty the car currently has came from Graypaul Nottingham as part of the purchase. It wasn't extended by the original owner.
    It was a member of the service staff at my local main dealer Jardine Sevenoaks who reviewed the carbon fibre and confirmed it was genuine.
    I've booked it in for Sevenoaks to officially take photos etc and send them to the powers that be at warranty for review later this month.

Eric in Chicago likes this.
  6. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You might check to see if they were properly insulated on the inside. This happened to my Scud at 3,000 miles and warranty did not cover; if they are not insulated just a matter of time before it happens again. After each drive leave the engine cover open. I have a fan on a stand that I place near the engine to cool my Pista after every drive.

Viperjoe likes this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    UV does this too. The dar on on a prosthetic leg I had turn yellowish due to sun rays as I was outside all the time. Years ago Porsche had issues with some carbon pieces that see sun light all the time.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO a bad batch of Epoxy. Having said that it will still go yellow due to heat , UV.

Hence why I dont like it and never spec it.

mdrums likes this.
  9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    If the engine covers are not insulated, is there a way to add insulation and glue some in or something to that effect? What type of insulation should we buy?

I bought aftermarket carbon engine panels that I just looked at and are NOT insulated…so I would like to add insulation if possible!

10. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The Ricambi engine bay pieces come with reflective tape. I added the below reflective tape (Thru Amazon) to areas that would be subjected to more heat. It comes with self adhesive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Have you ever touched the grill on the sides of the rear glass after a drive ? Bloody hot. The whole engine bay is hop. Even putting some heat reflective tape/material on the underside in a way makes no difference. The whole bay is an oven.

By the nature of the product , i.e Epoxy it will still yellow.

Get some 2 pack epoxy glue 5 minute. Set it of then put a heat gun on it . Look at it as it changes colour and crumbles.

BTW thats the best way to remove excess glue when building speaker boxes.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Useful on the battery heat blanket on mid-fronts as well. ;)