488gtb making squeaking sound after a track day ??? | FerrariChat

488gtb making squeaking sound after a track day ???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RobertM, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    488gtb making chirping / squeaking sound after a track day ???

Took the car to a track day and drove 3 (20) minutes sessions… this is what it sounds like (chirping at a high pitch). The dealer says it needs brake pads …. The car only has 2,000 miles on it and it impossible in my opinion to need pads for the amount of time on the track. I have had the following cars Ferrari 360, Scuderia, 458 and now the 488 and drove the heck out them and with lots and lots of track time. No issues - - - none. I did take the 488 on the track for a previous event for a Ride-2-Revise (like a make a wish for children). We took kids from the age of 8 to 12 around the track and not at high speeds. That day driving home I had the same issue. Took it to the dealership where I got the car and they said that it was a typical sound. I disagreed and they finally assisted with removing the pads and cleaning them. Then the sound went away, until the next high speed event (the track day above).

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions ???

Note that I am the original owner and did everything you are suppose to do, including driving the car for the break in period.

I can NOT believe that I have this issue and it appears that the dealership will not assist. HOWEVER, I am waiting on a response from dealership .

2. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    There is probably a thread on this every month or so. It's normal, people get that even if they don't track them, for some reason, this generation CCB's squeal more than the others. I tracked the hell out of my Scud and it never made a peep, took the Speciale a couple of times, and it has since. It'll come and go.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My CCBs on the Porsche used to scrape some after a particularly hard stop but that always cleared up. Most of the time the solution for squeaky brakes is to brake hard from high speed like at the track. I am surprised they did this after tracking. As to squeaky brakes on high dollar cars, it's a hit and miss thing. Some cars squeak, others don't and then the ones that were squeaking eventually quit. I have seen so many of these threads on all different makes of cars that it's just a normal complaint I think. Not much the dealership can do IMO.

4. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    the sound while driving is a chirping sound,,, not when breaking... when driving... I tried to upload a video... but it says the file is too large

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    This is normal, like a piece of metal scraping, except you're not even applying the brakes. Your ceramic rotors need to be brought up to temperature and your road driving will not do that, hence the chirp.

6. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thanks for the responses / comments

7. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    dealer says need new pads in order to stop the sound.... the functionality is fine.... WTF.... does anyone know who I should contact at Ferrari North America. FNA ???

8. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    I’d listen to your dealer or get an opinion from another. Proper cool down at the track is crucial, and if you came in hot and held the pedal down too long or let the e brake apply with them not being cool you can get some funky issues.

9. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    just an FYI, I do at least one cool down lap and do not use my brakes... then at the parking area I put my car in 1st gear and place the Electric Parking Brake to OFF

Melvok likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Can you take a photo of your discs?

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I did many track sessions , on Spa and Hockenheim, and am now at 42.000 kms on my '12 458.

Have to exchange frontpads after this season ...

How old is your 488 car ? Any possibility that you may claim ? DO consult FNA ...

Worst case ...to find out if dealer was right ... pay the damn $ 1000 for a set ... :eek:

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I found this quite pronounced on the Speciale. One way I got rid of it was to wait for the brakes to be completely cold and then rinse the wheels/brakes with water.

dustman likes this.
  13. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    My old SLS had a similar issue and braking hard while moving in reverse sometimes cleared the debris and noise.
    Unfortunately even minute pieces of grit or metallic debris can cause this with ceramics causing vibration and noise. It’s commonly seen in ceramic on ceramic bearing total hip replacements-the Tin Man walking- so to speak.
    If it continues pad and/or rotor change may be the only solution- but the noise in no way affects performance.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I just posted a video on YouTube ..... ferrari 488 brakes bird chirping

15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    As hilarious as it is, this is "normal" and should be normal when braking. Here's a video of this coming up on a press car, as well as many owners saying the same. They should go silent when you press the brake pedal.

2:20 mark

Also, do not use any silicone based tire cleaners and NONE of the harsh wheel cleaners, simply use car wash soap as normal.

16. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    has anyone changed the Ceramic Brakes to Steel ??? there is a conversation kit and you can use the OEM calibers

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You can also post a link here and the software automatically embeds the video. This sounds terrible but I think it should go away. My Porsche would make a scraping sound after hard braking when I was practicing quarter mile runs out at the county road I go to. The scraping would be gone by the time I got it home, about 45 miles.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    WHY would you do so ?

I have seen a lot of 458's / 488's on steel at SPA Francorchamps ... yes ... full time race cars ...

19. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thank you for posting the video,,,, Ferrari North America will not do anything.... so I took the car to a race shop (they support Ferrari and Porsche, i know the guy personally) and they are going to remove all the pads, clean all brake components, lub, chamfer the edges of the pads. lets see how that works. The pads have plenty of life ont hem, just a sound issue. Standby for the outcome

20. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    What was the outcome?

21. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Mine does a similar noise. Fortunately not that loud.

22. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Mine had a similar noise after the first track day with the stock pads, although the chirping wasn’t this loud. I since switched to Pagid RSC1 pads, tracked a few more days, and haven’t heard any more chirping or other brake noises. I also bedded the new pads which might have helped.

23. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
  24. EasyVC

EasyVC Rookie

Mar 21, 2022
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vito Cinfio
    Hi All, I recently had similar issues and spoke with Ferrari tech about this. He indicated that soaps used on the brakes and tires could create build-up on the pads and cause them to barely touch the rotors. Apparently, Ferrari brakes will "pre-fill" with pressure in anticipation of you pressing the brakes. The pre-fill will bring the pads extremely close to the rotors to decrease the time from when brakes are pushed until they make contact with the rotors. Because the pads are so close to the rotors, if there is any residue or build-up on the pads, they will squeak in sync with the rotation of the tires.

To combat this, the tech suggested not dowsing the brakes and wheels with soap when washing the car to prevent build-up from the soap on the pads. I tried this week and so far squeak has gone away. I pressure-washed the brakes with only water and really got in there to try to wash away any build-up. If this doesn't work, Ferrari tech indicated that they can chamfer or grind down the edges of the brake pads to make it go away. This will slightly decrease the life of the pad, but should eliminate the chirping. He indicated that this is common on the 488 models specifically.

05F430F1 likes this.
  25. JuniorGTR

JuniorGTR Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Jr
    My Pista does this all day long. Really annoying as it comes and goes as it pleases. Going to do a visual inspection of the pads, but I don't think sub 5k miles warrants that's kinda noise.

In comparison my Huracan Evo makes no noise with triple the miles and way more aggressive stops well into the 200s.