50 yrs of Trans Ams | Page 2 | FerrariChat

50 yrs of Trans Ams

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jm2, Jul 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Was best I could afford. Wanted datsun in 280z. I took off all the decals, put 60 series tires, koni shocks, open exhaust, sheep skin seat covers. Wanted to like it but had tons troubles, alwsays in shop. Sold it after few yrs and got tr8 instead. Tons of trouble with it too but kept it 10 yrs and loved it. I like new american cars like vette, mustang, camaro, caddy v but never bought one

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    New or used? 4sp or auto? I had one used back in the day and it was great to me. I did not have anything to compare it to. If your honest you would admit that ALL cars back then were crap for the most part if comparing to today's cars. The Japanese cars were not that great either, just cheaper. If you go back and check out Motor Trend's review of the 79 T/A it was actually pretty good. The performance was better than ford or anything Chevy was doing. But you got me with the sheep skin covers. I hated those. As for being in the shop it was a fairly simple car so I can't imagine what you could not fix yourself and not to mention no electronic gadgets like today. Interesting comment about troubles with the tr8 but loved it. I would have trashed it if I had to pour money into it. Sorry to hear the T/A steered you away from some great cars that were made in the 80's and 90's along with the late models. You have missed out if you like tracking cars with minimal expense. The C5Z is a track day legend and SCCA champion that has not been equaled. I will get another one just to have.

jm2 likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Was a new base automatic w t tops. No ws6. Body would squeek like crazy all the time. Drove me nuts. I get it as a cool collector car now but my memories of it from over 40 yrs ago were not so fond.

5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I get it but all cars were like that to me. Sometimes the saying time makes the heart grow fonder might be true in this case considering how far cars have come. But at the time the 6.6L Pontiac 400ci was the car to have performance wise and I wanted one bad but was a tad to young (6th grade).

jm2 likes this.