500 Superfast, the Royal Ferrari | Page 8 | FerrariChat

500 Superfast, the Royal Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by carvad, Feb 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Exchange rate in 1964 was about 0.36 PDS = 1 USD

With all extras you were looking at close to 14,000 PDS = ~38,800 USD

11,000 PDS would be ~30,500 USD

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  3. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  4. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Tnank you for info, Alex. But now I have the 3rd start prise for 500 Superfast :)

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Photographed outside Broadway Autos in Hendon ...now defunct.........I love the photo

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was no standard price for the Superfast. Each one was a little bespoke and I'm sure prices varied quite a bit, particularly as Enzo loved to charge a little more to some clients and a little less to others....

Onno

7. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  9. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Anyone know the serial number or have pics of the 275 (GTS or GTB?) rumored to run the engine from 6345SF?

Originality arguments aside, the big-motor/small-car hot rod formula will never grow old to my eyes. :)

Happy Holidays everybody!

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    275 GTS s/n 7171.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  12. XRS

XRS Rookie

May 4, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Hill
    I came across this thread as I occasionally search on 6679SF. I came across this car back in the 1980/90s when it was owned by a neighbour. I had seen him driving up the road (usually early on a Sunday morning) to give the car its Italian tune-up. When I eventually managed to speak to him about it I was thrilled to discover it was the actual Peter Sellers car as, when my brother and I were teenagers we fantasised about the 500 Superfast we had heard about when PS picked it up.

The car was in concourse condition (in fact the owner was just touching in the red paint inside the exhaust tips) and he insisted I sit in it and have a good look at everything. In fact he had had the car restored to original condition, even insisting that the radio was repaired rather than replaced as Britt Ekland had adjusted the dials back in the day. Later that day I phoned my brother and told him I had just seen the ultimate Ferrari and he guessed immediately which car it was.

I was later very lucky to be able to drive the car (after first stalling it unfortunately) and its huge power was impressive. When my brother next visited me we spent a very pleasant tea sitting in the Superfast's garage admiring the car.

When the owner moved away he kindly gave my son one of the photographs he had commissioned and it hangs to this day on his bedroom wall.

I understand that the car is now in Belgium.

13. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks for sharing.

Gr. Martin

14. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    In Cavallino 193 is mentioned that 500 Superfast cost in 1966 about 11,500 Br Pounds.

Julius

15. XRS

XRS Rookie

May 4, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Hill
    Just opened my latest copy of Classic & Sports Car and see that two superfasts are up for auction in the next few months. 6661 at Goodwood Festival of Speed in July and 5985 at Pebble Beach in August.

With only 36 in existence, what are the chances?

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    many cars changing hands these days. some think they are buying at the bottom, some think they are selling at the top.

17. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    demand is high for such a rare great car so i think really high

18. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Yes that is what indeed makes a market. Time will tell who is smart and who is not ;)

19. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  20. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #195 johngtc, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. XRS

XRS Rookie

May 4, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Hill
    I know the owner of this car who had it after Sir George Burton (the chairman of Fison's, I believe). I suspect it was in the ownership of my man at the time these pictures were taken as he had a protracted campaign to return the car to its original registration number after it had had a personalised plate for a while.
    Coincidentally I bumped into him the other day and we stood chatting for a while. I had to be careful as he is now 86, though looking very good on it. If you have any more pictures I would love to see them.

22. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I think I have, but please bear with me as I am working through several thousand slides accumulated in 40 years or so of Ferrari spotting!

I saw this car when it was new and had the GYK registration, Soon afterwards Sellars used PS1216 on it.

J

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    was their driving characteristics similar to a queen mother or vastly different?

24. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    In all fairness and market dynamics, depends also what the seller paid for it...if you made 10 times your money you may leave a further upside for the next buyer,,,so both parties are actually smart..or at leat happy. Not all trade are simple game theory, I win- You lose or vice versa...

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Edward,

As the chassis is basically the same as a 330GT (2+2), I suspect that the handling is closer to the 330GT than the 365GT.

Regards,

Art S.