512 BB mileage as advertised problem | FerrariChat

512 BB mileage as advertised problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jww427, Dec 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Hello everyone, and its a good day to drive.

I just purchased a 1981 512BB from Ted Johnson at Milestone Motorcars. A nice guy.
    Frame on resto. Engine and tranny serviced but not rebuilt.
    He mistakenly advertised the mileage as 33,000 km.

The miles are actually 33,000 miles on a UK/USA speedo. That's twice the miles almost.
    I paid full price on the car, 350K.

Should I ask for a slight refund? If so how much?

Thanks very much y'all!
    John

Website description:

"Recently restored and being made ready for Cavallino 2017, This fine example of Ferraris first 12 cylinder mid engine production GT car, was manufactured in August of 1981. Imported to the US in 1982, It was promptly federalized and sold to its first owner in California where it has lived ever since. Always well maintained and serviced, 37797 has recently completed a two year cosmetic and mechanical restoration. Refinished in a striking original Ferrari color; Blue Sera, it is complemented by a fresh interior in the classic tan leather, Conolly number 3218. A comprehensive engine out service with all mechanical systems rebuilt. Complete with tools, books, and records of the restoration, 37797 is ready to be enjoyed on the road or the show field. We are pricing this at a market correct $350.00. Please call for a detailed description. A pre purchase inspection is welcomed.
    33.000 km."

milestonemotorcars

Photos:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNtsQ-NJgSR03kVTfSRh_7JX9rp-AszrYVIh2JlG9NHFOHV9FAFSSiFzdi4_sndlw?key=WUhzNldVdE1kQnlER2hjaWc3ZmVjWEpUcjZiRG1R

2. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    OK
    now they are saying that at the 1982 conversion to USA specs, the kilometers were made into miles.
    Can anyone confirm this situation?
    Why would they do that at the time of conversion?
    It seems nuts.

JWW

3. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    The mileage from the original ad being 20,000 then suddenly 33,000 absolutely does change the value of that vehicle. I would be inclined to believe it could knock 50-75 grand off depending on condition.

Conversion mistake is highly unlikely but mistakes can happen when humans are about, what proof did they provide you of this claim?

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

My thoughts on this is that as these cars get older the actual mileage becomes less important than the actual condition of the car (at the time of sale) and what services and/or what restorations were done. Now... if the car was marketed as an ultra-low mileage "fully" original car then any mileage discrepancy would be a factor. However, this did not seem to be the case for this particular car.

Would I be concerned about the extra miles versus the price paid? I would not be given my perspective stated above.

Cheers,

Sam

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as sam already mentioned:
    the older a car get the less important is the mileage except it has been offered for "original low mileage"

about the odometer: could it be that they only changed the km/h scale into the mph scale and the numbers on the odometer are still km, not miles?
    I did this sometimes here when I imported cars from the US to register here in germany. so the speed display kilometer advertisement has never been correct, but the TUEV ( technical control ) wanted to see the km/h and not the mph. if the display would be correct they did not care

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree with Sam. Additionally the gray market cars imported to California needed to have 7500 miles on them and we saw many brought in that obviously did not have 7500 miles. That issue combined with the fact that speedometers were converted always muddied up how many miles those cars really had. At this point I would buy condition and ignore the indicated mileage unless of course, and it has already been said, it is being claimed the car has extreme low mileage, on the order of low 4 figures or less.

7. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Many thanks everyone!
    JWW

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I don't agree. these cars seldom are represented w/ correct miles. I suspect many of these cars had speedos disconnected in the day...welcome to the 80's.

if the car appeared to be in gorgeous condition then you will be a happy boxer owner!!!

congrats on buying a special car that represents the last of the hand made breed!!

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

simply gorgeous car by the way!!!! what a special brute!!!!

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I know my car had the mph face put on a KMs speedo. The odo very obviously still goes up in KMS. If its a LHD car, odds are the odo reads in kms.

Pretty easy to tell just drive it over a mile and if the odo goes up significantly more than that its reading in kms.

As otrher s here have said, in the end you buy the car soley on condition, unless youa re talkign a big premium for say a 2k miles car.

11. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    If this is the case and a common practice then no harm done.