512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage | Page 9 | FerrariChat

512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Such a great job. The original pics were of a car in much need. It really is the caterpillar tuning into the butterfly. Enjoy her.

pshoejberg likes this.
  2. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hi Peter and Paul,
    I just discover your thread while I just acquired a 512 BBi #41507, 82, fully revamped in Italy (Luppi, Zanasi) but with some fine tuning to bring it really "original", as Peter did.
    First of all, all my congratulations for the job you achieved. Stupendous!
    I take many points to check in my car, as Copiglias setting, etc.
    But some precise questions as I already posted remain for me without clear cut answer:
    The safety hook on the front lid is missing on my car and I am to buy one.
    Thru your pictures I guess that it is yellow plating (as bichromated) as is my corresponding female catch is on the body.
    Do you confirm this plating for a 82 car? Because on another 330 GTC of mine, this hook is plated CAD silver (authorised at that time) and I had it replated as such in Europe.
    BTW, at the difference to the 330GTC where the 2 fixation screws are M6, it is M5 nuts on my 512?
    Thanks also for the precise pics of the leather straps for small toolbag and spare wheel, because, amongst the usual vendors nobody knows about, shame...!
    If you could tell me where to get them because absent on my car?
    Lastly, the jack: it is reported Battaini F232 in the spare parts catalogue with sketch (the one with upper long plate terminated by an angle, yellow or blue, as on my 330GTC), while your looks black (blue?) with a small rectangular plate above (width 40mm to cope with body's rails).
    Is it due to a change where early BBi's had the F232 long plate at the time of spare parts catalogue printing, and further change for a black one for later cars, as your 84 one?
    Would be delighted to receive your feedback on above, and, again congrats!
    Best,
    Jean-Paul

3. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Jean-Paul congratulations on your car and welcome! I happened to notice this morning while reading the latest issue of Forza, in the back there is an advertisement by Two Redbirds for Ferrari leather trunk replacement straps. I have no idea about this company but perhaps they could help you. 512-520-7838 or tworedbirds.com

4. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks John for this vendor based in Austin as I can see on their website.
    Indeed, they do these small straps for the front boot (one for the small tool-bag, one to secure the spare wheel). I will contact them, but, as far as I can see on their site, the buckles are not in conformity with the original ones as they appear on Peter's thread.
    BTW, I see that you own a 512 BBi as well.
    So, could you tell me how is the plating (yellow or CAD silver or else), if original to your knowledge, of the safety hook, and associated 2 bolts, of the front lid on your car?
    Any advice on the jack as mentioned in my previous message.
    Thanks again,
    best regards,
    jean-Paul

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

dinogt4guy likes this.
  6. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  7. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks to all and congratulation to Jean-Paul for buying one of the most fantastic Super cars (I'm a bit biased). Newman is really the expert here and my BBi is a late 84 so I'm very reluctant to state any facts regarding your BBi from 1982. My qualified guess is that the hood safety hook most be yellow plated. Do you know you can buy these hooks as NOS?. The color of the jack changes with year but I know for sure an 84 model must be black like my original to the car jack. Jack color for an 82 must be a question for Newman or one of the other knowledgeable BBi heads.

Best, Peter

9. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks a lot Peter for your answer.
    You confirm that the safety hook is yellow plated as many cars of the 80's.
    i questioned many of the usual vendors in UK, Italy, France but either they don't know or commit on the plating finish, either they answer "silver", in fact Zinc Chromate which, BTW, is not the colour of the F cars of the 60's (same hook) as for my other 330GTC.
    It is silver CAD original, but CAD plating is very difficult to get because now dedicated mostly to airplanes, for environmental reasons.
    So I will try to find a yellow hook (dichromate which is the same as Gold cadmium), or, if not, I'll get any NOS one and have it plated dichromate.
    For the jack, your conclusion is what I guessed, black with small upper plate in 84, while earlier (change when?) it was probably as on the Spare parts catalogue with the Battaini 232 (the one with a long upper plate). And may be, by Pinin, the jack sketched in the Spare parts catalogue has never been...
    So if Paul Newman could give his insight, I would be very grateful.
    Otherwise the pics of both small leather straps in the front boot confirm how the nickel buckles were, and vendors don't easily sell the good ones: did you have these straps/buckles remade? And in case where to speed up my search. Thanks.
    May I tell you that I examined closely all your pictures and put them in a folder which is my reference book .
    For instance, as you did, I will put a 5mm Copiglia clamp on the solenoid to replace the plastic one.
    Since I could admire your car, I enclose some pictures of mine (restored last year by Luppi for upholstery and Zanasi for all the rest). But still to do some changes: as missing EQ & radio Pioneer, and the big tool bag with jack & tools.
    Again, all my congratulations and thanks for what I call the 512 BBi thread Bible.
    Best, Jean-Paul

Attached Files:

pshoejberg likes this.
  10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thank you for the nice words Jean-Paul. This is what it's all about on Ferrari Chat - sharing knowledge and experience. I could not have restored my BBi to the said level without access to hundreds of threads on this forum and maybe thousands of pictures. I also categorized a wast number of pictures from the experts such as Newman and they were very valuable when rebuilding the front of the car. Anyhow I had all the leather straps remade by a local leather tailor using the old straps as templates but I re-used all the hardware after applying new chrome. Let me know if you need some more pictures or measurements of the straps and I will supply these. Unfortunately I cannot access the picture database you are using (Unable to load the software on my work pc). I would have loved to see the work of both Luppi and Zanasi. I have used Luppi a few times and can highly recommend them. First class work, fair pricing, not snobbish and have never let me down.

Best, Peter

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hi Peter,
    thanks, I try to attach pics in jpeg (less heavy).
    If you have any comment on incorrect originals, welcome.
    Already pointed thanks to your pics: incorrect radio, EQ, Colson clamp on starter coil (already changed for Copiglia), missing sticker on water tank (ordered), wrong water hose route on rear side (to do)
    Yes, I would appreciate to receive additional info on both black belts (front boot, one for tool bag and one for spare wheel): dimensions (length, width, thickness) and any pics close up for stitchings.
    The most difficult will be to find chromed buckles exact replicas with a local leather maker, but let's see.
    I just bought a jack tool bag for reasonable price since incomplete, and a wheel nut monodado wrench.
    Now searching oil filter wrench (dichromate without black gum on handle since 82'), tow hook M12 (simple, but incredibly difficult to find the exact one for BBi), mallet, and bulbs box.
    Thanks again,
    Jean-Paul

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

msdesignltd likes this.
  12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Something very exiting happened regarding my wonderful Boxer #51257. Those that have read this thread might know that I had close to no information about the history of #51257. That changed a few weeks ago. I got an PM via fchat from a person in Canada that had stumbled over a binder with more than 200 pages of information about my car including the original user manual and the Certificate of Origin. After some negotiation we agreed on a price for the binder, and I received it yesterday. It's a small treasure and adds tremendous historical value for me as the owner and of the car. It's the perfect way to end the restoration after having spent nearly 2 years in my workshop and it is such a satisfaction to be able to document the special color scheme, the interior specification and not least the engine number. There are also several letters from the Ferrari factory that makes interesting reading. The file that I have received consists of the following documents among others:

· User Manual
    · Certificate of origin (c)
    · Societa Assicuratrice Industriale
    · Ferrari Invoice dated June 11 for total cost specifying extra equipment
    · Letter from Classic BMW Ferrari the dealership enclosing the deposit for $5750 dated Oct 25, 1983. Ordered in Prugna Metallic with Saddle leather, second deposit sent for a second 512BB (C)
    · Letter from Ferrari acknowledging the deposit accepted dated Nov 10, 1983, but the second car ordered could not be filled as production would cease shortly after my car was built (c). Ferrari ask the buyer to keep the information regarding the cease date for production of the BBI confidential.
    · Letter from Ferrari dated Nov 30, 1983 apology letter from Ferrari re inability to produce the second car, confirmation that your car is produced without black bottom, but with black dash and speedo in miles.
    · Production Invoice from Ferrari dated June 26, 1984 (c)
    · Letter from Classic BMW Ferrari dated Jan 10, 1984 requesting a late delivery from April to June so that Mr Habberstad (The final buyer) could take delivery when his friends car Mr Nowack is also delivered (c)
    · Letter from Classic BMW Ferrari dated 3-12-84 to Mr Habberstad enclosing all of its communication with Ferrari, confirming color changes (Bottom, Air intakes and grilles in same color as body), Ect
    · Original envelope from Classic BMW Ferrari to Mr Habberstad
    · Copy of Teletype 07.03.1984 from Ferrari to Doug Gibb salesman (I believe owner) of Classic BMW Ferrari giving approx delivery date is late April, continuation of color changes, and luggage is optional… cost is 700 dollars and can be paid when Mr Habberstad visits Ferrari in Italy, handwritten on teletype requested color changes air boxes and rear louvers and rear spoiler painted same as car, seat stripes in black (c)
    · Period copy from Mr Habberstad to Alberto Meris of Ferrari dated May 14, 1984 thanking him for a tour of Ferrari and witnessing his car being built (c)
    · Statement of Nationality dated March 23, 1984 confirming Mr Habberstad born 9, 29 1934 in Brooklyn NY USA residing at xx xxxxxxx New York Document prepared in Italy (I believe it was required to export the car) (c)
    · Letter from Amerispec to Mr Habberstad dated April 20, 1984 requesting he sign enclosed docs and a required deposit of $4000
    · Original Envelope from Amerispec to Mr Habberstad
    · Letter from Habberstad Datsun BMW by Mr Habberstad to Amerispec Corporation returning signed documents and requesting a special exhaust system that was fabricated for the car (c)
    · Invoice from Amerispec to Mr Habberstad re Ferrari 51257 for USA Conversion, Zust Ambrosetti, Federal Express, Costa Line Bunker Charge, Terminal Service charge, freight, pickup and truck to Danbury CT, Stainless exhaust and Insurance
    · Amerispec Letter of Authorization and package of documents (c)
    · Shipping invoice by Costa Armatori dated Jul 23,1984 for Ferrari 51257 for the sum of 1499 to Amerispec Co (c)
    · Letter from Autovettura June 25, 1984 (c)
    · Package of paperwork from US Importation of Motor Vehicles re Ferrari 51257 dated Aug 13, 1984
    · Shipping Information from William Skinner to Mr Habberstad
    · US Customs form $1485
    · Letter from Habberstad Datsun BMW Oct 23, 1984 to Amerispec Re confirmation of US Customs paperwork (c)
    · Letter from William Skinner notifying Costa Line that the car was damaged during shipping and a claim would be filed Aug 14, 1984 (c)
    · Copy of cheque paid to William Skinner by Amerispec for $949.43
    · Invoice (c) by West End Towing Aug 14, 1984 to Mr Habberstad
    · NY state dept of tax Certificate of Authority to Mr Habberstad (c)
    · Multiple letters and docs relating to the Dept of Transportation and my car specific
    · Stacks of further docs from William Skinner, Dept of Transport Ect
    · Service/Invoices from 1995-1997 from various shops in Florida
    · Invoice from German Classic Interior in 1997 for a complete fresh interior (listed piece by piece) $18,030
    · Titles from two previous owners dated 2005 and 2002
    · Many More invoices and docs

Here is one example of the documents I have received: (Sorry I can not rotate the picture)

Best, Peter

dgt, audi_328, Zaza and 6 others like this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The car looks great..fantastic progress! If however anybody is interested the previous owner of this Boxer is now selling his Countach. According to him it is the last car the factory restored. He does indeed have all the paper work for it also..and it's a mountain or reading.

When I last saw the Boxer gotta be 15-20 years ago now..it was a great running machine..but the front end damage was very obvious. Interior was mint tho and complete.

pshoejberg likes this.
  14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    gradulation to those history papers and the reunited with the car. this will not happen often.
    thank you for letting us know :)

here now the rotated photo:

pshoejberg likes this.
  15. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Peter,
    After your fantastic renovation work, you deserved to be lucky by getting all this documentation!
    I wish I would get the same with my #41507 since I tried to identify the first owner M.Othmar Piessl in München, without success up to now (warranty card dated 29/04/1982).
    Best, Jean-Paul

16. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Peter,
    I come back to you to follow your thread #210 about leather straps in the front boot, mostly the one for secondary tool bag.
    I am still looking to have this done according to original stiches and buckles shape, which I couldn't find up to now.
    You nicely proposed to send me pics of this strap (and the one for spare wheel) and I would love to get that.
    BTW, if your leather-maker in Denmark could do it, why not; because Denmark is not that far from France/Bordeaux where I live.
    But I read that you kept the original buckles, replaced, so I imagine that this leather-maker doesn't get the same, but who knows?
    In the same way, the small tool bag is wrapped within a "camoscio" enveloppe with stamped Cavallino and zip, which I have not.
    Do you know where I could get it for reasonable money (I don't concourse...).
    thanks a lot for your help,
    PS: I suppose now that you could see my BBi pictures which explain my willingness to get it perfect (I am currently replating the 9mm copiglia bands of the air intakes in yellow dichromate since wrongly Zn during the resto).
    Best,
    Jean-Paul

17. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    This is amazing Peter!! Fantastic to have it. Even when now owning a BB this would be great ad to any collection.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

pshoejberg likes this.
  18. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hi Peter and other F boxer chatters,
    I sent you below message in PM, but probably you didn't get it, so that I post it to all members interested.
    My purpose is to have the leather straps in the front lid of my 512BBi remade as original.
    Thanks to anyone who can help,
    Best,
    Jean-Paul

Initial message:
    Dear Peter,
    I come back to you thru a PM because I suppose you didn't see the message I posted on the thread of your renovation.
    I let you read below my purpose and look forward for your answer about manufacturing the straps for my "new" 512BBi #41507.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Jean-paul

I come back to you to follow your thread #210 about leather straps in the front boot, mostly the one for secondary tool bag.
    I am still looking to have this done according to original stiches and buckles shape, which I couldn't find up to now.
    You nicely proposed to send me pics of this strap (and the one for spare wheel) and I would love to get that.
    BTW, if your leather-maker in Denmark could do it, why not; because Denmark is not that far from France/Bordeaux where I live.
    But I read that you kept the original buckles, replaced, so I imagine that this leather-maker doesn't get the same, but who knows?
    In the same way, the small tool bag is wrapped within a "camoscio" enveloppe with stamped Cavallino and zip, which I have not.
    Do you know where I could get it for reasonable money (I don't concourse...).
    thanks a lot for your help,
    Best,
    Jean-Paul

19. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
  20. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks Terry,
    I didn’t see it. That is the right product.
    But quoted 500GPB, you must add VAT plus duties post Brexit plus freight comming to 750€ circa landed in France
    For such a simple pouch of « camoscio » with a small zipper, I wish to remain reasonable and don’t wish to pay that. Some leathermaker could do it for 50/100€, providing I get the cavallino stamp.
    thanks again.
    Jean-Paul

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    J-P I completely agree with you. I posted the link partly because the price asked is half any other similar ad that I found.
    Have one made and then drive over it a few times to give it some character!
    Perhaps some kind Fchatter could lend you one, as a pattern for your chosen leather craftsperson.

22. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Terry,
    Hope so, but looks with little chance since this stamp tool is quite expensive and heavy.
    But, maybe some leather maker could get it for previous realisation and propose the pouch for reasonable price....
    Cheers,
    Jean-Paul

23. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Congrats on your purchase, but your modesty did not mention it was Bebel's car !
    Ps : I am waiting my (new for me) BBi service in Toulouse impatiently !

24. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hi Xavier,
    Yes it is JPB former BBi, you are a Connaisseur!
    The car is beautifully restored but I have still some AC clutch compressor to fix up ( nice to have it functioning this summer, …but not). In Bordeaux not easy to find an AC specialist because I have probably some mini/maxi pressure cut-off problem. I will go and see the Ferrari dealer workshop head who could indicate me an authorized specialist (see other thread on this subject). Turbo Jo, Newman, and Pshoejberg are very knowledgeable and helpful on 512BBi.
    You are based in Toulouse?
    But what do you mean by « waiting my BBi service ». You will get a 512 shortly?
    Let us know,
    Cordialement,
    Jean-Paul

25. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Based in Brittany five months a year and Indonesia, the rest.
    Indeed, I am waiting for a BBi now in Toulouse. Can't wait, so impatient.
    Cheers