512 bbi hot start issue | FerrariChat

512 bbi hot start issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Jun 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I need some expert help here on a hot start issue. The story is following:

I spent yesterday adjusting and setting up my newly serviced 512 bbi engine. I checked and fine adjusted the ignition timing and balanced the two banks perfectly while adjusting the idle to +-1000 rpm. The engine is running very smooth and responsive. After the fine tuning I noticed that starting the hot engine was troublesome and needed cranking for many seconds and to some extent also a heavy foot on the speeder. Based on these symptoms I decided to checked the injection system. Following pressure data was recorded:

Fuel pump pressure (Primary pressure) = 5.4 bar both sides.

Control pressure (with WUR connected to power supply) = 2.0 bar start (at 20 deg ambient temp), 3.4 bar and stable after approximately 3 minutes (WUR fully heated). Same figures in both sides.

Upon completion of control pressure test I shut down the pumps and observed system pressure immediately drop to 0.7 bar and 2 minutes later drop to 0 bar over 2-3 seconds. Same behavior both sides.

I have limited knowledge about the CIS system, but I believe all measured values above are correct except from the system pressure after pump shut down. I would have expected the system pressure to remain around 3 to 2 bar for 15-20 minutes in order to facilitate efficient hot start conditions.

Are there anyone that knows what is going on here, why do the system pressure drop like a stone when the pumps are shut down?

I'm puzzled by the fact that both sides behave similar...One failure can happen but It is rare that a failure is doubled?

I believe that following issues could cause lack of pressure accumulation in the system:

1. Defect back pressure valve in fuel pump(s) (Can these valves be inspected and cleaned?)

2. Defect fuel accumulator (hole in diaphragm): I see no fuel coming out of the spring chamber breather outlet.

Any input or theories are received with much appreciation.

Best; Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- you need to correct this problem for good hot restart behavior.

Three possibilities:
    1. Bad check valve on fuel pump outlet.
    2. Bad Accumulator (since you report no fuel leaking out the vent nipples of the Accumulators, this is not the problem).
    3. Bad O-ring inside pressure regulator section of the fuel distributor.

I believe on the V-12s with K-Jet CIS injection, Ferrari learned that it was better to connect the control pressure sections of both banks together to give an exactly equal "average" control pressure on both banks; however, this also gives the result that, if one bank loses system shut-off pressure for some reason, then both banks lose system shut-off pressure. Do you have a fuel line connecting the top of one WUR to the top of the other WUR? Can you post photos of the top of your WURs? This interconnecting line for the control pressure is usually "double-stacked" on one of the banjo bolts on each WUR -- Fuel line 59 here:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/boxer-group/512-bbi/fuel-injection-system.html

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive and logical response Steve. I have a couple of comments:

1. I ruled out your failure suggestion #3 due to having correct fuel pump pressure at 5,4 bar, but i guess the regulator could still leak at lower pressure and potential bleed off the system pressure to the fuel tank.

2. You are right with the interconnected WUR's. There is a line between those and I see now why I have so equal measurements on both sides.

I just inspected the fuel accumulators and the fuel pumps and it strikes me that my fuel pump setup doesn't look like the setup I can find on google. Please have a look on the fuel pump picture below. It doesn't look like there is a check valve in the nipple. Can the check valve be integrated in the pump?

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    No, the fuel pump(s) being able to deliver good pressure when "on" has nothing to do with the check valve sealing well when the pump is turned "off".

It looks like you have the wrong style (newer) fuel pump installed -- have they been replaced recently?

Your model originally came with the older style CIS fuel pumps (now Bosch 69523 here in the US):
    BB512i assembly with original style Bosch 69523:

with the check valve built into the pump head itself -- this check valve is not replaceable nor serviceable. Later on, Bosch got smarter, and made the check valve a replaceable part -- so a still good motor and roller pump head could be reused when the check valve went bad (this style pump is now Bosch 69532). It is possible to update a system to use the later style fuel pump but this also requires plumbing/fitting changes.:

Unfortunately, it is also possible to use the older plumbing on a new pump, but this has no check valve at all. If you do a search here using "69523 69532" that will get you a lot of threads discussing these fuel pumps and showing the differences and the difference in their plumbing.

Attached Files:

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2020
    I ran out of time to edit my prior post (so it's a little mangled), but here are the two full pump types:

The early Bosch 69523 with built-in check valve (note the long output "snout") that uses a threaded coupling to connect to the plumbing:

The laler Bosch 69532 with replaceable check valve that uses a banjo bolt to connect to the plumbing:

What you have is the 69532 pump with the check valve (wrongly) removed and the threaded coupling (wrongly) installed.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks again Steve. The problem is hereby identified. My car must have had the fuel pumps changed recently by the previous owner and he apparently did a half job. I now have a small project ahead of me. I need to source a set of check valve nipples with end caps and Cohline fittings for new lines between pumps and accumulators. I just read an old Newman thread where he did exactly this and he was well supported by you and Larry Fletcher.

If anyone knows a good source for Cohline fittings specifically for Polyamide hose in Europe please speak up. I know it is produced in Germany, but it seems impossible to source for normal private persons.

Best, Peter

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2020
    You may actually have the easier option of just getting the correct Bosch 69523 fuel pumps. What happened was that the Bosch 69523 was not available at all for a while a few years ago so people were forced to upgrade to the new Bosch 69532 and adapt the plumbing; however, the Bosch 69523 has recently become available again.

If you do want to get the necessary fittings and Cohline plumbing (and check valves) to keep using the Bosch 69532, contact Larry Fletcher at www.CISFlowTech.com (but, IMO, doing this is way more hassle than just getting the Bosch 69523 pumps -- especially for someone not in the US).

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may go to a mercedes dealer and try to find an old technician who knows about the older cars. they also had those valves and could be ordered without a pump. or go to a bosch dealer. problem today is nearly no store guy can find anymore something without a VIN and bosch not listed this valve for BBi.

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I just replaced one of my pumps and the accumulator. the check valve is indeed the original fitting that can be screwed directly into the new pump. Both pump and bosch accumulator were from e bay.
    I believe it is normal behavior for all cis systems when warm to require some cranking and throttle to restart as the pressures are not maintained for long.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #10 turbo-joe, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    you may try the following when next time starting warm engine:
    as soon as you turn the ignition on the fuel pumps will run for a short time. when you just go on with starting the battery needs the most power for the starter and the pumps getting slower a little. so you may turn on the ignition 3 -5 times that the pumps will always run this short time several times and can deliver fuel and then you may start.
    let me know please if this helps

I once had this problem with a mercedes 300 SEL 3,5 ltr ( but this car had a D-jetronic, not a CIS ) and I put in a buttom switch to let the fuel pump run when pressing this buttom. it takes mostly minimum 30 seconds until the fuel pressed all the air out. had this problem I had only when the engine was warm and about 5 minutes after turning off the engine and 45 minutes after. so directly starting again and after those 45 minutes never had a problem. unfortunately never tested the fuel pressure, had not gauge, too expensive at that time for me ( have been 22 ;) )

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the good hints Romano. I have basically started the hot car by turning the ignition on and off a few times as you describe and it works. But I hate to make difficult starts in the public, a super car must start immediately if you know what I mean. I have now disconnected the micro switch in the CIS airmeter to keep the pumps running constantly when the key is turned (I know the risk here). I have ordered two check valves and plumbing equipment to rectify the issue so hopefully the car is back in business in a few weeks. I will update this thread on the progress. On another note I'm also planning to convert the ignition system into a MSD system. I'm tired of the high whine from the original ignition Dinoplex and I suspect that it will break down at any point in time. I use my cars regularly and wants full confidence. I have a programmable MSD unit in my Dino and it's the greatest (And only) upgrade I've ever made. The MSD unit is on order, more of this rebuild will follow later.

Best, Peter

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have been driving my car alot the last 6 years -10K+. Hot start is not an issue. Something is not right. I have MSD box, but I doubt that is the difference.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t think so. except you modified also the injection. the MSD is for ignition and the hot start problem is a fuel problem

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Slight progress in the hot start issue rectification; Spare parts arrived from UK and the States. With this setup it should be possible to keep the original steel piping and still having external back pressure valves that can be serviced. Next up is installation and re-test of system pressure.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I had the same problem. Having the WUR's rebuilt and putting new check valves on the fuel distributors solved the problem. Note, I had the correct/recent fuel pumps ans accumulators.

pshoejberg likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    dwhite and turbo-joe like this.
  17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hope you're able to go out and enjoy a nice drive, with stops and easy restarts.

It's been an inferno here in NYC area for weeks. Have not had my car out in 3 weeks. Also was tied up replacing outter lower cam drive bearings, belts and tensoners and replacing my AC compressor and drier on my 308. Thats all done, but still too hot for a fun drive.

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I just went for a 200 miles trip yesterday and the car is starting immediately both cold and warm. Also installed a MSD ignition as a test and it's working very well. The old Digiplex was whining so much that I got embarrassed by it and the spark intensity became weaker with temperature so no doubt it was about to crash completely. Installing the MSD took less than 4 hours and no modifications had to be done to the original harness. Next up will be to install the MSD board into the old Digiplex shell. I know the feeling of not having enough time for driving. I'm also tied up with service on my 308 changing out the long heater hose in the drivers side panel and installing new fuel tank connecting pipe hoses. On top of that I'm also doing a big engine out service on the 246......We are slaves of all our belongings....o_O

Best, Peter

dwhite and turbo-joe like this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the more toys ( cars ) you have the more work to do and the less enjoy driving.
    that is why I sold all my motorcycles about 4 years ago and also some cars to enjoy more

pshoejberg likes this.
  20. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Peter..

hey I noticed you have an MSD ignition box. I did to but two failed on me so I switched to the new Pertronix unit. It's about 1/3 the size of the MSD and has more functions. And their tech dept is really good.

It has almost identical wiring as the MSD as well. Just FWI

Don

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the Pertronix hint Don. Yes, I'm running a test with an MSD box and it's working flawless and soundless not least. I've had the slightly more advanced programmable MSD in my Dino for more than 2 years and it's been tested seriously in the Italian summer heat and I must admit that it is working very well. It's relatively cheap, easy to install and programming is very simple. I've heard rumors about the quality before, but I can live with a break down due to the fair pricing and good availability. Next project will be to pull out the guts from the Dinoplex and build in the MSD.

Best, Peter