512 BBi ignition upgrade | FerrariChat

512 BBi ignition upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #1 pshoejberg, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Upgrade is maybe a wrong word, perhaps the headline should have been "alternative ignition system". Anyhow, as some might know, I've had some a couple of issues with the original Digiplex ignition box in my 1984 BBi. First annoying issue was the high pitch noise coming from the box. The noise penetrated into the cabin and took the focus from the beautiful flat twelve sound. Secondly, I've noticed that the spark became less intensive when the unit got hot making the car difficult to start. Thirdly, I noticed that my instruments sometimes started to move erratic. Due to the problems, and much inspired by fchat member alhbln, I decided to change out the ignition box and associated coil with a MSD 6AL ignition box and a Blaster 2 coil. I removed the digiplex and coil 6 weeks ago and installed the MSD box and coil in a few hours. The conversion was very easy and alhbln have, as usual, made it even easier by supplying a diagram and easy to follow instructions:

http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_MSD6AL2_for_AEC104.pdf

I tested the ignition the following weeks and the car have run like a dream ever since....No noise and flawless starting, cold as warm. Only downside was the visual appearance, a red box on the firewall and a chromed ignition coil right in your face when you open the engine lid. Completely unacceptable obviously. After some considerations I finally decided to rib the guts out of the Digiplex and try to hide the MSD circuit board in the original Digiplex casting. This task is quite challenging and feels a bit destructive, but it can be done with simple tools and it makes a fine DIY weekend project. I first started to make the coil look a little more as the original. Flat black paint and a aftermarket sticker made it much nicer to look at. I'm still trying to source a sticker that is completely identical with the original, but this can do so far:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

alhbln likes this.
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #2 pshoejberg, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Your stock 512BBi ignition is "Dinoplex", not "Digiplex" (just wanted to add "Dinoplex" to this thread text so it comes up in searches for Dinoplex) -- carry on!

pshoejberg likes this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #4 pshoejberg, Oct 10, 2020
    Then came the most interesting part of the job: Fitting the MSD board into the old casting. Due to the MSD board complexity with components on both sides and general fragile look (I'm a analog guy) I decided to keep the original MSD box and modify it to fit inside the Dinoplex. I ended up chopping the top and the cooling fins off the MSD box before I could fit it. It is a tight fix, but that is good for heat transfer. I reused the old Dinoplex connector and added an additional connector to the Dinoplex box in order to keep the original wire harness in the car. Upon completion of the "Old Box" Installation in the car was done in less than 15 minutes and I just test ran the car...It's running great

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

alhbln likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #5 pshoejberg, Oct 10, 2020
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Peter,

Well done!

Cheers,

Sam

pshoejberg likes this.
  7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    ACK!

Peter! That whine is BB unique and comes form a diode in the Marelli unit. And is a plus at Concourse time. Oh well to each his own.

It's too late but you could have used the new Pertronix unit as I did after going thru two MSD units (both failed). The Pertronix is less expensive, 1/3 the size, hooks up almost identical to the MSD, uses the factory coil and has several adjustable settings. And Pertronix's tech support was very good unlike MSD. My experience, yours might vary.

You did a really nice job though, many kudos

Oh, where did you source the new coil sticker?

Have fun..

Don

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Don. The sticker is from Superformance. It doesn't have correct layout and type number, but close. Maybe Kilimanjaro design have the right one? The whining was unacceptable and the unit weak when getting hot. I don't go that much to Concourse arrangements, I only drive the car....-:). Next time it will be a Pertronix or similar unit....I had already bought the MSD unit when I learned about Pertronix. I hear a lot about quality issue with MSD so maybe time to look for alternative hardware. My impression is that there is a lot of new aftermarket junk around with only a few years lifespan before it craps out.

Best, Peter

bjunc likes this.
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #9 pshoejberg, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    For reference and sake of good order I just want to add this chapter to my ignition thread:

There are two versions of the MSD box. The one I converted to first were the standard non programmable version. Using this box you still need to maintain the original advance system. I have now converted to the programmable version of the box where you can delete the original advance system and program your own advance curve via a PC. I have then locked out the distributor and phased the rotor to fire exactly across the distributor terminal half way through the advance curve (@21 deg). I have programmed the advance curve so it is identical with the curve in the user manual for BBi. Every modification is completely reversible in a few minutes should anyone wish to convert the ignition back to the mechanical advance system.

This is the adventure:

First removal of the advance weights

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Then +- 5 degree facing of the rotor position relative to the reluctor wheel. The rotor shaft can be pressed out and turned approximately 5 deg.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Then locking the distributor shaft. I used a small metal plate and tag welded the rotor shaft to the distributor cup on both sides:

Then uploading the advance curve from the PC into the MSD box and go for a ride.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Next up is to fit the ignition into the Digiplex box.

Best, Peter

10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #10 pshoejberg, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Note for information that the whole setup is still kind of a test regime. The programmable ignition is build for max 8 cylinder engines so you have to tweak it by multiplying the rpm's with a factor of 1.5 times the actual rpm's of the twelve cylinder engine. Same goes for max amount of advance you can obtain. The box is good for 25 deg but I loose a factor 1.5 of that equals around 17 deg advance max and I need 22 deg (10 to 32 deg) to be in compliance with the original advance curve. For now I run 15 deg advance in idle and let it build up to 32 deg at 6400 rpm. You can pull out further advance if you install a map vacuum sensor and I am considering that.

Best, Peter

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #11 pshoejberg, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    I have now programmed and uploaded the final advance curve. I've settled on a compromise with 14 deg advance in idle and 31 deg advance at 6400 rpm. The car runs very well with this setting and there is no need for reducing advance in idle by adding a map sensor. See my latest curve below and note that the curve is a retard curve so all values must first be divided with 1.5 and then subtracted the 31 deg static ignition setting to give actual advance figures:

[​IMG]

I have also build in the MSD circuit board in the original Digiplex box as can be seen below. The car is now back on the road and running on full digital ignition with no mechanical advance system worries.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    There were reports of some MSD boxes having a higher than normal failure rate 10%. Anyone experience this, or was it corrected? Maybe the lower priced versions?

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    MSD claim they have a less than 1% failure rate on their units? But that said some years ago rumors were that they had quality issues. But imagine selling delicate, sensible and digital ignition equipment for DIY installations. Crazy guys like me ripping out the circuit board and making amateur installations of varying quality. Who is to blame when the box stops to work? Was the box installed in an extreme hot environment, was the box installed on the vibration dampers and the list goes on. MSD boxes are sold in vast quantities, mostly to amateurs, and I can imagine that it is easy for the company to be blamed for any problems regardless of the actual conditions around the installation. I am now running two programmable units and I have tampered with both and I have not had any issues. The day I have an issue I will just toss the box in the bin and buy a new one. The cost is about equal to 2 hours of labor at my local Ferrari service workshop.

Best, Peter

bjunc and theunissenguido like this.
  14. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    Hi all, very interesting thread, has anyone applied these units to a 308 GTSi to replace the Digiplex system? I’m interested in the programmable units you are talking about are so as to hopefully give a smoother (possibly more powerful too) curve than the original ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    turbo-joe likes this.