512 BBi oil filters | FerrariChat

512 BBi oil filters

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertinOK, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Hi, Anyone know the type of oil filter I should use on my '84 Boxer? I have bought a couiple of WIX 51515 which I've been told are good...any thoughts?

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Baldwin B235 oil filters.......I believe that is the number. Go to a diesel truck sales, and repair,
    shop.......and find the BBi in the Baldwin catalog, at the parts counter. They cost less than $7 each. Hard to believe.

I use these on my 83 BBi.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If your BB512i has non-inverted oil filters (i.e., gasket end goes up) you could use either the Baldwin B252 (no standpipe) or B253 (with standpipe). The only thing you might check on the WIX is how the outer case construction/heft compares to the Baldwin(s), or the Fram PH2804 (or PH2804-1) for that matter, (which all have excellent HeavyDuty outer cases IMO).

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Steve: FYI.........the BBi has 2 oil filters, and they are inserted with the gasket up, as in the TR.

5. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Hi, thanks for the input regarding the oil filters. I have been running around this morning and found the Mobile1 oil filters (part # M1-301). This filter looks to be very sturdy (it's about 50% heavier than the WIX part) and as I'm using Mobile1 oil should be a good choice. However, Mobile tech. people can't confirm the use of this part on the Boxer. (it is spec'd for the 308, 365, etc)...should I use it or get the UFI part (#191993)....which again I think is the same part for the 308 and 365.
    Just don't want to muck up that lovely engine!!!
    Thanks.