512 TR Tire Time | FerrariChat

512 TR Tire Time

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by AHudson, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I've been through the search function, but unable to sqaurely locate good info on replacement tires for the 18" 512TR rims.

Did TireRack.com (what a remarkable site) and found 9 'summer' tires there. My current tires are PZero Rosso Assymetricos which look cool but did poorly in the current test reviews on that site. Plus, they're about 7 years old, which I consider on their last days.

What do you guys recommend?

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Adams,

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport II's on my 17" BBS wheels....and love them. What sizes are the tires on your TR?

David

peteficarra likes this.
  3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    They're staggered and all the choices are here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=1994&autoModel=512TR&autoModClar=&frontWidth=235/&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=53800&rearWidth=295/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54700&tab=All

I've got PS2s on my Viper and agree they're VERY nice. Wear is a little fast for my tastes, but that's a tire eating car.

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    For me, it would be either the Michelin PS2, or the Bridgestone 760's, which I had on my M3....a cornering fool!

Or a set of snow tires....LOL!

David

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I've had the P-Zeros on my 512Tr and the rears lasted 5000 miles. The Bridgestone S-02s lasted 8000 miles - still too expensive. I tried 3 sets of the Toyo Proxes and could not get any of them to balance correctly (tires were out of round). I think I currently run a Goodrich tire on the rear - I'll check on the exact name. I believe it is W rated (not Z) up to 168 mph. I don't track the car anymore and the better price and wear makes up for the small downturn in stickiness, and they are better in the rain than the Pirellis (which are by far the best dry performers). Where can you exceed 168 mph???
    So far I have 8K miles on these new tires with no regrets.

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    BF Goodrich G-Force radials. Good compromise on longevity, tread pattern and tire life.

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Thanks JIMBO! I put those on a 328 and I thought they were excellent. I can get them reasonably as well, but the Bridgestone's fared a little better in tests at not much price premium, so I'm leaning that way.

Any other input greatly appreciated.

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #9 AHudson, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Hey guys, just passing this along.

I'd shopped fairly hard for good tires on the 512TR. My old Pzeros were hard as rocks (2002 date codes). As usual, I went to TireRack and got a great price. When I called my local Firestone/Bridgestone place to INSTALL them, they asked what price I'd gotten and had I ordered yet? Told 'em not yet.

I gave them the online price - that I've always found to KILL locals - and he said, "Let me call you back". In 20 minutes, told me he could have my new Bridgestone RE760s on my car, mounted, balanced, dispose of old tires and all for about $22 more than the 'tires and shipping only' online quote. ($825 all done.)

I was quite amazed. Apparently, some retailers are getting pretty aggressive in pricing. Likewise, the service was really good. They were super careful, and I love these tires. They ride remarkably well, stick like glue. Road testers were right.

Just thought I'd suggest you guys check local before committing to a bigger purchase online.

10. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    I have to replace my rear PZero's as well (the fronts have only 6K miles and are in perfect condition)

For the price of 2 Rear PZeros, I might as well spend $100 more and get a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DW.

Looks like they got some good reviews so far, and not to pricy either.

11. FerrariLS

FerrariLS Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I know this is a old post but... I have the Conties DW on my 430 and although I have nothing to compair them to, I do like them. Looking to replace the tires on my 512TR now. Has anybody tried the Conties? I am looking for a better ride rather than handling. I KNOW BLASPHEMY! It's just I will never track the car, and will be doing a decent amount of highway driving.

12. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Pirelli have made the P-Zero system in 16" again for you guys.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pneu/255-50-16/255-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero-asimmetrico.html
    &
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p-zero/225-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero.html

these just arrived with us the day before yesterday. I still have a bad back, because me and my kids had to empty the a lorry full of tyres, as my staff are isolating. so we have someone in the office, but a massive lorry full of tyres nneds more man power, so i roped my kids in. (should have made them do all of it.) the lorry was also full of our first delivery of original Pirelli tyres for ythe classic Fiat 500 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/fiat/500.html

13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I run Michelin p4s on my 512tr awesome!! Let me know if you need sizes!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I put the Continentals on my 512Tr a few years ago - different car, much more civilized. They don't have the grip of the Pirellis, but I don't track the car anymore and it is a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive.

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i just bought these too...cant wait to test it out...

EZORED likes this.