512 TR wheel bolts | FerrariChat

512 TR wheel bolts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vlamgat, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    So heading for the track (first time) and I check the tool kit for a wheel bolt socket. Nothing, nada! Can this be?

Using a non metric from my socket set but I question is:

21mm or 23 mm - and is it true that Ferrari just supplies the gas bottle for the flat and assumes that an owner would never take off a wheel. Must be so I guess because there is no wheel jack either let alone a place to secure it!

2. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    To answer your question, the lug bolts are 22mm, and this is not supplied in the factory tool kit. The factory spec for tightening is 72 ft. lbs., but for track work I tighten them to 77 ft. lbs. Since you are checking the lug bolts, do you know if any anti-seize is already on the lug bolts ?? If not, I strongly suggest a very small amount of anti-seize(copper based type) on each lug bolt.

Have fun at the track, and keep the rubber side down.

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    As a master of the obvious I might point out that in addition to not having the proper size socket and no jack, there is also not any spare.

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

The 512TR has no spare??

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes, it does. But if you don't have a jack, nor the proper tool to remove the lug(s), then you cannot utilize the spare. That's what Norm's trying to convey with his comment. =)

6. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Actually I believe a spare was available in Europe. One of those inflatable like Porsche used on the 959 for one. seriously thanks to both of you for the dimensions. Hmm 22 mm, interesting size!

Had a pleasant day with NASA D/E and Race Craft group. Found the car a bit of a handful after my ex Speed Audi. Seesm much smaller on the track than it feels on the road. Needs lots of wheel crank to move it around. Shows inevitable understeer and needs lots of boot to promote oversteer. Ran the tires at stock pressures and did not get more than 110 degrees into them since I was learning car, drive train and track. What a fabulous engine!

When you jack the car, where do you place the jack for the front?

7. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Glad you had a good time on the track, the first time it can be quite an experience (and a handful!) You might PM William, he probably has the most track time with a 512TR.

I plan to put the seats back in mine tonight so I'll have a look and see what I can find on jack points for the front.

So much for being the master of the obvious, I guess I'm not. Most 512's in the US were delivered without a spare, an emergency spare might have been an option, but I've never seen it listed as one for a US car, all you got was a can of fix-it.

8. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I have the manual for the kit as I had replaced 2 tires on my Quattro Avant this year from construction nails - and was thinking of going that route. Instead I found a reflation kit at JCW which is far more effective than the Ferrari bottles, includes a 12v pump because I believe that those rear monster wheels are much too large to be filled by bottle the same size as that sold to fix a Civic.

9. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I purchased from a UK seller on e-Bay a Ferrari factory booklet for the 512TR titled "SPARE WHEEL", which describes the spare wheel and how the brackets for it are installed in the trunk. It uses a 115/85 - R18 tire. None of this kit appears in my 512TR Parts Catalog.

I hear that there is not room in the trunk for a flat rear 512TR tire and wheel after you have removed it. Apparently it's enough bigger than the TR's 16" wheel that it won't fit. Next time I have one off the car I'll try and see if there's any way.

I carry a small 12v. air compressor and a probe or plug type repair kit as well as the emergency inflation bottle. Wouldn't help a major problem but might with a nail puncture.

If anyone knows of a spare wheel for sale such as described in this booklet, I'd appreciate an e-mail.

Ron

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Same here.
    Good evening, Ron--- Just as a reminder, our Ferrari event is this Saturday at 10am in KC. It will take place at Chris Hill's Auto Sport Gallery. I know it's a looooong drive but hope to see you there. Sarah and I would extend to you the hospitality of our home for the weekend, if you choose.

Tom,

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    a few tips if you plan on tracking the 512TR more often. Get some brake rotors & pads from porterfield. They are MUCH better & MUCH cheaper than stock. Also you might want to add an oil cooling fan as the 12 can heat its oil within 3 laps.

Check out my avatar & profile if you want to see what a 512TR race car looks like :)

12. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    "The 512Tr has no spare?"
    I am not aware of a spare in any US 512TR (or 360 for that matter). Mine has the st'd air bottle.

13. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    My 94 did not come with a spare only a temp patch bottle!

14. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

A lot of different responses regarding 512 spares... :)

Well. is there any *place* for a spare? Like the donut in my 86TR?

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I bought a "continental" kit for mine so now I have the spare mounted vertically on the rear bumper. It acts as a spoiler & absorbs impact :)

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    THAT's hilarious!!! Well said, William.

17. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

LOL! I will look for pics of that! :)

18. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    William I have indeed noticed exactly what you say re oil temp. although i run my Quattros at 212 - 235 degrees I am sure in Summer these TRs will get over that.

Is your car the one in the Kinesis web page? I will PM you separately to find out more.

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, I like kinesis wheels, they are much lighter than stock. Also since I have F50 brakes on both my 512TRs I need them bcus the stock wheels wont clear the front calipers without spacers which I dont like