512bb distributor cap non original | FerrariChat

512bb distributor cap non original

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Martin BB, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    Hello fellow BB owners, there are companies who supply non-original distributor caps. These are much cheaper than original. I have 2 different ones, but if I try to fit these on the distributor housing there is quite some play, the old original one doesn't have that. I measured the inside diameter which should tight fit around the ''circle'' on the distributor housing, but both the diameter is 1 mm bigger than the original one (97mm against 96 mm for the original one. What is your experience with aftermarket caps?

2. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Kind of junk in my experience. The plastic/Bakelite that the caps are made of isn't the same quality and, like you said, they don't fit too well. Also, factory Marelli caps have brass inserts where the screws go which retain the screws.
    FYI, The cap for the 400i works just fine but has a longer coil receptacle vs the BBi cap

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Does the longer center terminal of the 400i cap interfere with the large heatshield which gets pretty close to the dizzy?

I got a replacement ignition parts from Maranello Concessionaires, and the fit was good on the cap and it works very well. The rotor had a poor fit and wobbled on the dizzy shaft. I exchanged the rotor, and the replacement was better, but not as good as the original.

BTW, I believe the lambo countach uses the same rotor ? ?