512BB run | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512BB run

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by J.P.Sarti, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Does anyone here have experience with SI or Ferrea valves in their BB?

2. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Thanks Peter! I will keep a log of how its going and pass it along for whoever is interested. I still have the QV to drive so I think I can survive;).

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    No personal experience with them but I have heard good things from SI valves as a replacement.

You might try posting this on "the other" site, David Feinberg is a early Boxer expert and rebuilt his motor awhile back replacing everything, their is also a variety of valve guides you can use that are superior to OEM. and cheaper.

It baffles me Carobu had this motor apart and replaced the pistons but kept the sodium valves, especialy with what he charges for a Boxer rebuild.

Anyway bad luck I guess since you just bought the car but as Peter said these cars are worth it, nothing is like them on the open road, I've been though a lot of sorting $$ to get my car to where it is now but the end result is worth it.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree on both counts...

you need to go to the other site and introduce yourself to dave feinberg. he is a great guy and may be the best source for all questions you will have. i met him 15 years ago and was a boxer nut...he still is today!

the caribou comment also interests me. matt, at the end of the day, most of these people are car salesman you never really know what you are getting. but you have a lovely car and it will remain one of the best.

have you thought of cams while you are in there?

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Dmax
    Holy crap! Sorry to hear about this, but your car is still tops in my book. Would agree that Dave Feinburg on the other board has lived his boxer and modded it for years and is EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgable. He really has taught me a lot abot Webers and boxers.

I'll be moved back to Dc next year, and maybe I'll have a boxer as well.

Good luck!
    Russ

6. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    What is the url for the "other board"?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    308's do the same thing, the valve head falls off, flips around after saying hi to the piston and proceeds to stuff itself in the pocket backwards. Too bad, if I make it through next summer, I might do a preventative valve replacement on mine.

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

F errari-talk.com without the space betwen F and e

I'll add most everyone there has been invaluable in helping me get my car to the near top condition it is now.

9. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    THANKS- I added it to my favorites today.

10. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

#35 Dopplemax, Nov 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a quick update for you folks. My heads are on their way to Carobu, Tate there has been great to deal with. They had a bit of a tough spot when it came to this BB. They essentially were given the motor in boxes and tasked with putting it back together, dyno it and push her out the door. Needless to say, they know their name is connected to 27001 and they want to help make her right. New Italian stainless valves are going in and FOW should have all her pieces back together in 2-3 weeks. The cylinder head and sleeve have been removed and sent along as well. So far so good!

DMAX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had heard that the sodium filed valves had failed in some of the early Ferrari v8 cars, but this is the first failure I have heard of in the 12s!

12. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

#37 Dopplemax, Nov 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im sure its not cheap to repair, dont mean to belittle your situation but given you technically dropped a valve it could have been much worse, glad its getting taken care of. I would be interested in my cost on a set of valves if thats ok, you can PM me with the prices of you like as well as the total cost of parts. Like you, Ill do the work myself and it will be a simple top end job. Ill just leave those pistons where they are.

Thanks,

P.

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Its good Carobu is working with you, still $3k to them and FOW maybe $5k at least $8k from this mistake.

Concerning the old PO being called tight and wanting to save on the rebuild but resurfacing the valves must have cost at least $300 for the machine work, 24 new valves would have been $1200 at $50 each so to save $900 on a $20k rebuild doesn't make sense, Carobu should have insisted new valves no matter what, even the Boxer WSM states to replace the valves during a rebuild. The PO also rebuilt the suspension and many other things such as new paint so he didn't seem to want to spare the cash too much in that regard.

If Carobu would like to explain their side I would like to hear it as well from them.

15. ferraripete

it can always be worse but do remember that w/ a boxer, nearly all repairs require r&r of the motor so that alone brings the ticket close to $5k depending on who is billing. the other issue is while apar, there is always something that scares you into submission to the extent that you say...wtf...since the motor is aready out...might as well...

i do have to agree with jeff however, as I had looked at buying your car from mike sheean about 4 years ago just after the motor and new tubi exhaust went back in...he raved how caribou had done this remarkable rebuild at no expense spared! i know there have been little miles put on the car since the rebuild so they may give you some consideration. worth a try.

sadly, these cars are seldom represented as they really are. my car was represented as having just completed a major when i bought mine a few years back...it did have the major and no miles since...but...the major was completed 3 years prior! so, might as well not have been serviced at all! don't feel badly, just make her better!

as jeff suggested, have you looked into sportier cams?

16. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I've been really busy with Turkey Day and a nasty cold, but am interested in cam suggestions. I floated the notion by Richard at FoW, no response yet. Anyone have had success with a new cam out there????

Thanks everyone for your comments and good natured ribbing. I WILL make her better, and will undoubtedly be the most engaged owner in her lifetime. I just love to drive her, what an amazing machine!!

Maybe it is time to part with the 308 and put all my focus into the BB. She definitely has the pedigree, now she just needs some fine tuning. :) cough, cough....after some "minor" surgery.

DMAX

17. ferraripete

dopple,

if you do consider cams, you may want to call bill pollard of sport auto. he is a very, very good 512 guy and will have no doubt had some hot cam history w/ performance, drivability, and cost impressions...reach him at 860-350-1515. tell him peter brinzey mentioned him.

having had my share of boxer heartburn, i just want to see that you get through this as best you can. good luck.

pcb

18. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Thanks Peter I'll give him a call. BTW - ever noticed that heartburn follows the most amazing meals? I'll take it any day.

DMAX

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Web is another fine choice in cam regrinding. 308 2 valve cams cost $1340USD for the set of 4, break it down to a "per lobe" cost from that and you can estimate the cost of the extra lobes on the 12. They are very familiar with the ferrari cams, the straightening involved after welding as they have no base circle to work with and warp during the welding process. I was priced under $2K for daytona cams so imagine the boxer is the same. Wish I could go with horny cams in mine but the CIS would freak out.

20. ferraripete

so that i am not misunderstood, bill pollard will not re grind cams...he may however be able to give you information on a profile that would provide great results...webcam would likely be the best choice to do the grinding.

21. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    DMAX,

I'm too new to Boxers to be able to help with any useful suggestions, so I'll just sit back and absorb.

But I can wish you the best of luck in getting her back on the road quickly.

John

22. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    JTR, you have a PM (or will, shortly)

23. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Thanks John!