512M HEADLIGHT HAZE | FerrariChat

512M HEADLIGHT HAZE

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by HOU, Nov 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    My M had very slight fogging on the right headlight and foglight when I bought it. I was told that it could not be removed and the headlight light was very expensive and since it was very minor, just live with it.

My friend has a 512M parts book and it shows the headlight lens as a separate part. Also when I tapped the lens, it did not sound like glass so I thought it must be lexan. here is what i did.

1. after removing the upper gasket which seals to the hood, i sliced open the seal on the perimeter of the lens using an Xacto knife.

2. it came off easily

3. now the surprise. the headlight cover is glass, not lexan/plexiglass. so i was able to quickly clean it on both sides to perfectly clear condition.

4. the lens does have micro road rash on the outside surface. recently i had purchased the griot headlight clear protection film. I had a window tint shop install it on the lens.

5. i decided to have a windshied installer put the lens back on the housing during which i heated the opeing up with a hair dryer to drive out any moisture.

6. i am happy with the final result: no haze, however a little distortion from certain angles due to the protective sheet.

2. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    good job mate. I opened mine and cleaned it with a soft dry cloth, good as new. not sure how to open the foglamps though.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did you make photo's.....? Send them please !

It's a common 512TR problem... fog in the lower (fog) lamps...(picture, see # 4)

@ My friend has a 512M parts book and it shows the headlight lens as a separate part @

I would love to find a way to obtain only the glass parts of the 512TR fog ligts.......

At Hella they tell me it's not for sale...

Cleaning out this fog is not much of a trouble after the light is out..... :-O) !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    1. my fog on the 512M is small and round. after the griot protective clear film was installed, the haze is very hard to see.

2. my guess is the is the big fog light on the TR is similar to the headlight construction on the M. if so, the glass can be separated from the housing.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #5 Melvok, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Everything can be separated if the need is there.... that's for sure ...

The Hella glass is OEM fixed; I will never try to separate it...

Other problem: often these glases are destructed from rocks, denting the glass..

You can not get loose / spare glasses (only) , pitty !

Did we know that the 512M fog light is the same as the light of the Ferrari 355 Fog light ...Part No. 164473 ?

6. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    1. the only reason to separate the lens is to clean off the haze which is likely some sort of volatile coming off the housing.

2. when i did it on the M, it was definitely not moisture condensation.

3. the rock risk is why i put on the griot film. it is advertised to withstand a bb gun hit. it is pretty thick and the window film guy that put it on said it was good stuff.

4. i had it put on all the front lights on the M. so far i am pleased.