512M | FerrariChat

512M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cgt000, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Has anyone done a conversion on a Euro model 512M to US specs? I am leaning towards purchase of a Euro model because I cannot find a decently priced US model example.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As I understand your rules waiting a couple of years may help to get in under the 25 yr exemption - for most models other routes are not cost-effective

3. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    In 2 years nothing needs to be done. I guess I have to buy it and keep it out of US.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why not buy it now and wait with registering those 2 more years? I think the conversion you have only to do when you register the car? so it is in germany. the custom does not care about.

Melvok likes this.
  5. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I don't think I could import the car to US without first getting in legalized. That means the car must remain in Europe for 2 years.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #6 turbo-joe, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    strange ! ! !
    if you would use the car only for racing, so never register it, then you also can not import it???

here in germany it is absolutely no problem to import cars without registration.
    those are 2 different things: one is the import, the second the registration.
    so a friend of mine imported a car from japan and could not register it because of the exhaust emission laws. so he drives sometimes with his dealer license plate.

7. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I was told that since the car is not on the approved list, it could not be imported until the application is approved.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you use it for racing then I think there is no problem.

also not listen what someone tell you, read the law and then you will also find a way to import the car. so you may check with the custom, not with the DMV.
    and if you would take some parts out and import it as a junk or race car? only idea from me.

how does a car dealer there can make buisness worldwide with cars when he can not import the car? here in germany/europe we hde the possibility to ask for a "custom free zone". so you could put there goods ( also of course cars ) without paying custom tax to sell those then again out of europe ( for example to switzerland). otherwise the goods would get to expensive to pay always custom tax in the country where you store those.
    I did this about 25 years ago. but there are every strong requirements and you have to make a big deposit to the government, what you get back later when you cancel this "custom free zone"- as a private this would be not possible. if this still would work I don´t know?

the so called "approved list" you may put a link here in that we could read this list all. I think it is from common interest this problem?
    such a list we have also in germany/europe, but this list contains drugs, copyright protected goods and military stuff. and even this you could import with some restrictions.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Curious as to what you consider a decent price in todays market?

I have one coming my way for Service soon, that I could ask the owner for you , if they are interesting in selling.

S

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    After 25 years old, I thought cars were emission exempt?

11. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    For comparison purposes, I have located a very clean 9000 mile yellow/black with a recent major service for $235000. I am willing to pay more for a clean, low mile US model. What color is your client's M?

12. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    2 more years and the car could be imported

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Red / Tan " Show Car " #4 if I remember correctly.
    Last confirmed mileage was close to 16,xxx

Coming in for Engine Belt Service / Fluid-Filter Service / and over all " check out "

S

14. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    PM sent

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well ..... YOU NEVER KNOW :)

16. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Does anyone know of a Euro model 512M could be imported to Canada without a conversion?

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Deutschland über alles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I think meanwhile is in complete europe so? the custom tax is a euro tax, not a country tax. and in all europe this "custom tax" is equal, you only pay then additional VAT to this custom tax, and this varies from country to country.
    about the dealer license plate I don´t know in other european countries, but may be other members here could tell?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

SAFE4NOW likes this.