512TR Coolant in cylinder | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512TR Coolant in cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rjnavion, Dec 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I agree 225 is almost normal traffic temp...

2. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)

Interesting gizmo; any chance of posting a pic or two ?

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sure, give me a day or two. I need to rummage around in the 308 tool kit, find it, and take a pic.

Birdman

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    recently had a thermostat failure as well. i was stuck in city traffic and the temp went thru the roof, then the radiator hose burst and it dropped all its coolant right there. luckily i was about 100 yards from my garage, so after it had cooled a bit i drove it home, then called to have the major that i needed anyway. had everything done, but apparently there was no engine damage at all and the mechanic said the 512 is pretty strong so not to worry. fwiw.

5. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Both fans should kick on at 195, my car hits 200 and backs off, in traffic it stays at 195 give or take 5 degrees. Normal traffic temp should be no more then 200. On long trips/any trips, my eyes stay on that temp gage the whole time!

Good Luck on your project, I just changed out my alternator, and that bummed me out, I should have been happy I guess!!:)

Robert

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yeah, I guess from reading all this, it should not pass 200 degrees. That is why I just ordered a new thermal switch for the LH radiator. Mine would hit 220 something when in bumper to bumper traffic. It did it twice so far, since it did not go into the red so I thought it was normal in super hot weather. Since the manual said the max was 239.
    I tested the fan and it comes on when the AC is used. So deduction says it must be a faulty thermal swtich.
    My porsche would go 210-220 on really hot traffic days. So I thought it was not a big deal.
    Does one need to drain all the coolant to change the switch out? I will be changing the oil too since it may be stressed after seeing those temps.

7. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I know changing the oil is a help in the cooling process, almost 12 qts in mine. Not sure on your 355 if need to drain coolant for switch? My friends 355 does run hotter then my Tr, nature of the beast I guess.Aything over 200 makes me a little nervous, now more then ever after reading this thread!!

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Has anyone EVER fixed ANY leak by retorquing anything?? Not that I wouldn't try it myself to save $$$$ *S* but I think I'd have a better chance of winning the lottery...

FWIW, temperature senders on foreign sports cars seem to be wildly inaccurate; I doubt Ferraris are much different. When you get the car back together, I'd look into testing yours for accuracy and recalibrating if necessary. As a wild guess, I'd say your car got a lot hotter than the dial indicated.

Ken

9. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    #34 rjnavion, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've reached closure on my problem and will update the thread with my ideas of the cause. Recall, the fan thermal switch failed, the engine overheated, and blew coolant out of the coolant tank overflow tube. On the next two starts I had white smoke from the right bank (Tubi where left & right exhaust don't mix). When parked coolant ran out the right tailpipe. On later starts, no smoke so I continued to drive, putting up with a coolant leak somewhere around the water pump area. With a light and mirror I could never pinpoint exactly where it was. I added one quart coolant mix every 100 miles, being very careful to check level frequently. Plan was to pull engine and do the water pump and timing belts which were only three years old. Plus check for a cracked head or blown gasket.

Well, time got away and in 16 months drove it an additional 5500 mi. with no problems except having to run with a zero pressure cap, add coolant, and worry, worry. With a good cap, coolant poured out from right front of engine.

About a month ago I pulled the engine and here's my conclusion, right or wrong. A bad leak developed around the water pump housing (more in next paragraph), coolant level went down, either the fan thermal switch failed or air was in the system causing it to give a false reading and not close the contacts (I'll never know), the cap cracked losing pressure, coolant blew out the overflow tube, and entered the exhaust system through the bad donut gaskets at pre-cat to test pipe junction. After this coolant burned out, no smoke on later starts. I had an oil sample analyzed by Blackstone and found no coolant in oil. A compression check revealed no problem.

With engine out, I pulled the water pump housing. It is about 3" in dia. with an "O" ring fitted into a machined surface in the back engine case. This area was beat to hell. Some idiot or jake-leg had beat it up, probably while trying to pull the main water pump seal out. It is hard to get out, but no excuses accepted. Whether the last shop doing the water pump did it or not, they were responsible for leaving it that way and setting me up for a big problem. I sanded the surface smooth and had to fill some gouges with JB Weld and sand again. The new "O" ring was coated with the proper sealant and then another sealant for metal-to-metal contact was used between the faces of the two metal surfaces.

Other work done was new timing belts, new tensioner bearings, new shims on 29 of the 48 valves to set tappet clearance, leakdown test, new "O" ring on sliding shifter shaft, new NGK plugs, new interconnect fuel hoses between the two tanks, all new coolant hoses (except heater hoses). There were 19 originally and now 21 as explained in COOLANT BLEEDER paragraph. Also new thermostats, new pilot bushing in flywheel, new exhaust donuts where needed, head bolt torque checked, and many, many gaskets and seals. I took a good look at the shifter forks and the welded differential housing. Parties unknown had already replaced the prop shaft between rear gear box and tranny with the 22 mm dia. one. Mine would have left the factory with the 17mm light shaft.

Here's some tips I'll pass along to other doing this work themselves:

1. EXHAUST HEADERS: I couldn't remove the nuts and broke a 1/4" wiggler. Soooo, we pulled the rear wheel hubs and axles completely out. This is no big deal and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. On the work table the nuts were easy to get to with end wrenches. it was all much easier for us doing it this way. The engine will come out and re-install with the headers on, but you must have a leveler on the cherry picker as clearances are very close and the angle must be constantly changed to clear a crossmember.

2. BATTERY CABLE: The cables mate on the rear of the left timing belt cover. A tapered copper plug fits in a tapered receptable and was corroded as expected. I'll never know how the starter was working. I cleaned the parts and coated with corrosion-proof electrical compound. But it wouldn't plug together securely as I'd probably damaged the plastic housing and metal clip getting it out. So I soldered copper terminals to both cables and bolted them together. Several layers of heat shrink protect the junction and a new Adel clamp holds it on the belt cover bolt. If anyone has starter trouble this ia a likely spot to check. It's easy to get to with the car on a lift or jacks.

3. COOLANT BLEEDERS: The 512TR has three bleeders. Two are in the upper metal tubes and one on the thermostat housing at firewall area. The parts book shows later models had hoses from the outer bleeders to fittings on the coolant tank so the system could self-bleed. The neck on my tank was cracked so I had a radiator shop weld in a new neck and at the same time weld in fittings for the bleeder hoses. New powdercoat and it appears to work, leaving only the center bleeder to check.

4. A/C COMPRESSOR: Since I had no A/C vacuum pump to evacuate the system I elected to leave the comnpressor with the car and not break the hose connections. This was difficult but I'd probably do it again. But if you have a vacuum pump, leave the compressor on the engine. Mine is an R-134 system and I've added one can at the 3 yr./10,000 mi. mark.

5. SEALANTS, COMPOUNDS, AND FLUIDS USED: For right or wrong, these are what I used. Dow-Corning #55 "O" ring lub for stationary "O" rings. It causes them to swell about 2%. Parker Lube for "O" rings with moving parts against them such as the shifter shaft. Lubriplate #105 for cam lobes. Permatex Locktite #515 for metal to metal on side and back of transaxle. Hondabond 4 at junction of large "O" rings and valve cover gaskets. Engine Agip 10W40. Transaxle Red Line 75W90ns.

Summary of the experience: Have plenty of mechanical skill, patience, and attention to detail before tackling this job. I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and have thousands of hours of restoration experience, but this was the toughest thing I've ever tackled. The people that do it for a living earn what you pay them. What I did would have cost in excess of $10K at a dealer but I had in excess of 200 hrs. labor (mine and two helpers) because of the learning curve and excess amount of time cleaning and detailing parts. My parts bill was $1996. After a 145 mi. test drive it runs beautifully with no leaks or complaints and I'm left with a great feeling of satisfaction. Many thanks to those that advised me, especially Rod and Brian.

Picture below: I turned the clutch alignment tool on the lathe and an employee built the wrench to hold the cam gear while torquing the nuts. I will loan these to anyone for cost of postage and promise of return. The 1.25" silicone hose fits the four short hoses on top of engine. There's enough left for two cars and I'll cut it in half. I used a whole piece of the 1.375" hose so none of it left. PM me if interested.

Ron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    rjnavion: Thank You for taking the time and effort to post your results. This thread has been very educational for many of us here. From the sounds of it the work you did on your car is top notch.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #36 Birdman, May 23, 2007
    Hey Guys,
    Sorry I forgot to post a pic of the jumper I promised. Here it is.

It's just a wire with a connector crimped on each end. If your fans seem like they should be coming on but they aren't and you suspect something is wrong with the radiator switch, just pull the two wires off the switch and connect them to this jumper which connects them together as if the switch is closed. The fans will stay on. That will get you home.

Please keep in mind that if this does NOT cause the fans to stay on, you may have an issue elsewhere. In the 308, sometimes the fuseblock is the issue, not the radiator switch. Also, you could have a blown fuse. In that case, this jumper will not help! Nonetheless, this is a good thing to carry in the car!

Birdman

12. sccchiii

sccchiii Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 29, 2005
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am curious to find out what is considered acceptable "damage" to the seal surface of the waterpump when the seal is replaced? The reason I ask is I have watched several majors(different mechanics) on TRs and all of them have had some minor scrapes left on the surface of block where the waterpump goes. I have always asked about it, thinking that it would be cause for a future leak but all of them said it's the only way to get that particular seal out of the block.

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes I remember doing a TR's waterpump and it seemed to be impossible not to scuff something up. Definately not a service-friendly component.

14. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I think the surface must be fairly smooth for the "O" ring to seal. Sanding it helped and the big gouges I felt like had to be filled. After getting it to where the "O" ring would probably seal, I'd definitely seal the flat surfaces outside of the "O" ring, being particularily careful not to get any of the goop on the "O" ring itself. I used Permatex Loctite 515. It has to stand 15 psi under all kinds of temperatures.

We didn't put any more gouges on the surface getting the seal out. It's been three weeks ago and if I recall we used a small puller with a slide hammer on it. The seal came apart and took a little more prying. The inner oil seal came out easily by drilling two holes for sheet metal screws and one tap with the slide hammer puller and it was out. Don't trust the torque setting in the manual for the impeller nut. It stripped before reaching the specs so I used the old nut at a lower torque. A terrible sinking feeling not knowing if it was the nut or shaft!

Found two more invoices bringing parts total to $2200. I try to put them out of my mind and enjoy the car. Drove it another 100 miles today for total of 245 mi. and no problems. I used to have a rough burbling sound out of the right exhaust at idle and that is gone. Maybe the NGK plugs helped or the exhaust leaks getting fixed??

A new irritating problem; the radar detector constantly has a dim beep for one of the bands. It's not the loud one, but annoying. All we did to it was disconnect the wire plug from the rear detector. I can't even find the unit in the interior to check it out. I'll have to look up the brand but we're getting ready to leave for long weekend, so later.

Ron

15. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    Forgot to tell that I have a fan switch mounted in the center console where I can turn the fans on any time I want. I don't trust the system and get real goosey in slow traffic. Ron

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    could you post a pic of the fan switch and how it is mounted. Would be helpful too, if you show the electrical interface needed for connection to the fan.
    rik

17. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I'll do it when I get home and can post a picture. It's very simple to do. I'm in Dallas now and won't be home until late in the weekend. Ron

18. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    #43 rjnavion, May 27, 2007
    Here's the pictures of my added fan relay switch and the schematic. Schematic isn't the best but I think you can figure it out.

1. The small toggle switch in the right side is a SPST to operate the radiator fans from the driver's seat. The middle rotary switch is the radar detector. Remove the plastic tray by removing an allen head screw under the radar switch. Remove the rear tray with another allen head screw under the rubber pad in bottom of tray.

2. At the left radiator tap a wire into the two wire harness that goes from the thermal switch to the fan relay in the front trunk. Determine which wire is the correct one by alternately grounding the pins in the plug with the ignition switch on. The one that starts the fans is the correct one. To be certain the ground is good, I added a short wire to the other wire and attached it to chassis ground close by.

3. For easy access to the thermal switch I removed the left rear tire and wheel and inner fender shield. I used #18 aircraft wire that has a very durable insulation but also ran it through plastic spaghetti tubing from the radiatior to where it went through the firewall. I routed the wire up to the cooling pipes and to the right side of the car. Where the large electrical cables go through the firewall to the ECU's I ran the wire into the car interior through a slit in one of the rubber bellows. Remove the panel covering the ECU's back of the passenger seat and you can route the wire to the console and pull through with a fish tape where it is concealed. Remove plastic parts in console as in para. 1 above. At the SPST switch, connect a short wire to the other terminal and attach it to one of several ground screws you'll find in the console.

This switch is no 100% guarantee of turning the fans on, but if the relays or fuses haven't gone out, and the fan motors are working, it will turn them on every time. I've had one thermal switch fail and thought another one was bad. It was acting up so replaced it. A $25 switch is all there is between you and a $25,000 bill if you don't catch it in time.

Ron