512TR front fog light housing | FerrariChat

512TR front fog light housing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Oct 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Just got finished washing the 1994 512TR and I noticed the LH front fog/directional light was hanging a bit forward. Upon closer inspection the plastic that holds the threaded clips into which the two 10 mm pins screw (from the center of the bumper) had disintegrated. Are these housings available anywhere or am I going to have to create a repair out of epoxy and imagination? The plastic is starting to disintegrate. I will post photos when the I-Cloud downloads them to this computer.

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Scuderiacarparts.com looks like they might have that part. Check with them to see.

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks, Zeff, but at $1,300+, I'll try to repair the original first.

4. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Buy whatever is available for peace of mind in the future, its good to have stock for whenever you might require them.

5. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Jimbo - I had a similar problem with one of the fog lights on my '92 512TR. I kind of ignored the loosening mounting points for years and wound up ejecting the housing and running over it after a sudden stop. I wrote an article for Prancing Horse about the experience in 2014. I can send you the text if you'd like. I wound up having the casing repaired by a company that specializes in polymers and auto lenses called Squadra Nuvolari. And if you were able to find a US spec replacement for $1,300 I would snap it up! It shouldn't be difficult to repair the attachment points, though. Squadra Nuvolari also replaced the lenses on both units with factory looking ones as mine had become pitted and hazy.
    Best,
    Will

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks for the advice, Will. Yes, please send me the text.

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The replacement fog light assembly is "not available", so repair is the only option.

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    If anyone is interested, I first cleaned the entire area to be repaired with a dremel and a tiny wire wheel and some lacquer thinner. I then took a piece of this metal strapping and bent it to re-approximate the original broken plastic. 2 small screws will hold it in place along with the epoxy. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    A trial fit on the car confirmed no obvious interference issues. The center of the straps was opened up and the cage nuts attached, after which the whole shebang was secured with Marine Tex. Like JB Weld, this is a structural 2-part epoxy that adheres well to plastic. The final result should be very strong. More pics tomorrow after full cure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EZORED likes this.
  11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Had to do similar repair on my 512 tr. A PIA but effective. I used JB Weld

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  13. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Strong work!

14. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Excellent job, Jimbo! Sorry for slow response - I haven't logged in for a few days. Here's that article and with photos of the repair. Cheers

Attached Files:

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks, Will. I may purchase a set of Squadra Nuvolari's fog light lenses in case one of mine gets broken.