512TR front lifts (struts) | FerrariChat

512TR front lifts (struts)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Jan 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    How do I access the front hood lifts on a 512TR? I'm sure I did this 15 years ago, but the struts have become weak over time. I just can't remember how to get to them. Take off the front clip? Thanks.

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Is it the same as a Testarossa? Pop the headlights to get the one side cotter pins and pull it off the post it sits on. The other ends are accessible through the battery access panel and the panel over the ac condenser on the other side. There’s a screw that holds it down I think.

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    turbo-joe likes this.
  4. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks. I sent my injectors out to be cleaned/repaired/tested. Both before and after flow rates. Florida Injectors is the name of the business in Pinellis Park, Florida (40 min from here). One man owner/operation. He looked at my bag of injectors and immediately knew the Bosch number on sight and told me they were indestructible, maybe one failure in 2,000. We shall see.
    Hopefully do struts and injectors by the weekend.

6. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Doc, BTW, replacing the front struts again is on my to-do list on my 86 Testarossa. You probably already know this, but if not search this TR forum for "Mondial struts" and you will see that the Stabilus Mondial rear luggage compartment struts are highly recommended as the preferred replacement for the TR front struts as they are identical to the Stabilus TR front struts EXCEPT that they exert more force which is needed (Mondial rear 460N / 103 LBS versus TR front 330N / 74LBS). You be the judge. My only caution with the higher spring force that nobody seems to mention is that we should be a little gentle in starting the pull-down to close the hood at first to see just how more resistant the higher spring force is on the hood structure. RockAuto is where I bought same and they are more than dirt cheap. EDoug

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hundreds of TRs have Mondial struts. My own has had them for over 10 years. Its not like it is an experiment.

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    That’s what installed. But the ones I got the ends are a hair thicker and partially block the cotter pin hole at the front bumper.