512TR Market | FerrariChat

512TR Market

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Drew_4RE, Jan 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I'm trying to get a handle on the 512TR market. FML has median asking price is $75,394.

The only cars I can find for sale are:
    $77,900 - http://www.automobilemag.com/ni/classifieds/256101019/113/
    $79,995 - http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/vehicle-details/f254fe5730b4c54dbae7005ed0479719/1994+ferrari+testarossa+512+tr+2-door+coupe.html
    $119,000 - http://www.ferrariofnewportbeach.com/used-Los+Angeles-1994-Ferrari-512+TR-Base-ZFFLG40A6R0097261

Any other cars out there? And what are your thoughts on these? or the overall market?

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here some in the EU market; importing is not such a great deal imo ...

You can see that some special F parts are becoming very difficult to obtain now already ...... ;) only 10.000 miles driven ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Here some in the EU market; importing is not such a great deal imo ...

that is right, also most cars from the dealers are included the sales tax of 19 % in germany.
    so if the car goes out of europe you don´t have to pay those 19 % or even you get them back after shipping

4. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    However, when you import a Euro version into the USA, you probably need to modify it a bit to make it "road legal". So, I guess some work on the side markers and the odometer. Not sure if any modifications to the engine are necessary (for smog tests and so on?).

This is not an issue for cars older than 25 years, like the early Testarossas. Those are seen as "Historic Vehicles" and don't have to be modified ...

I guess our US members can tell a bit more about this topic ...

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yeah, the market for 512 market is pretty dried up right now. I flew in to california last week to look at the black car. Wasn't the cleanest, but Had full service history. The manager of the dealer gave me a hard time about driving it wanted to credit check etc. I told him I'd be happy to pull up my bank account but that wasn't good enough for him. He said only if you're buying it today. So I basically told him to shove it and left. The virginia car looks interesting. The only other one I remember seeing was in florida and the dealer was smoking a crack pipe. They wanted 140k for a 30,000 mile car.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just idiot pricing imo ... wait a few months ... but was there nothing her for sale ??

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    here in the US clean 512tr are hard to find...i watched the market for a cple years...i wanted something very specific, red/tan 94 with low miles, but once i found it i made sure i got it....im taking mine to the grave with me but i wldnt sell mine for anything near 100k...it wld take alot more...

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if that virginia car has no stories someone shld jump on that asap

9. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
  10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've said this before....but with only 408 brought to the US...they are going to be harder to find.

11. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Naples told me the blue one is sold.

What's with the sub 15k miles cars? Geez people! Drive 'em!

12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The domani motors car was on ebay two or three weeks ago. I believe they were asking somewhere in the 130's. It was like a brand new car with the extremely low miles.

13. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
  14. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    #15 evandaalen, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was indeed a factory option. My 512 TR (also '94) also has a non-black dashboard. See photo. It's a kind of "reddish brown", called "Testa di Moro".

However, I don't know if a non-black steering wheel was also a factory option. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it before on a 512 TR ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the last rear engined 12 cylinder by ferrari is going to appreciate over time. the styling divides people, but it is iconic and will continue to attract fans going forward.

the testarossa was not such a great performer, and the looks needed to be changed.

the 512tr did that, and the performance was significantly improved.

the 512m went too far on styling for negligible performance improvement.

so the pick of the litter is the 512tr. about 2000 made, probably about 1700 still exist, and of that probably half in decent shape. so 900 cars worldwide worth buying. the numbers will talk.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very well spoken Ross ! :) (2200 made but quite some cars were wrecked too .... In my country, there is no 512TR to find on the market ...)

17. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    You know, everything was going along FINE this morning until you shared that swatter's blue with tan 512TR, now I'm all goofy. That car is gorgeous.

I'd lose the speedlines and go stock, but only after I wore those tires out on a few long, mountainous passes with the windows down and radio off, headed somewhere they don't know my name.

Anyway, that color combo - and I don't believe I'm making too much of this - will bring people to their feet if it appears onstage. Or drawn droolingly if appearing on a golf course. That car is special indeed.

I sold my 512TR about 4 months ago, and have been 'half way' looking since for a replacement. I didn't 'mean' to sell it, but a smart buyer knew what he was looking for, and things work this way for a reason.

Appears the secret is out on the 512TR: crazy, flamboyant, radically improved, useable, end-of-the-line, and virtually unrepeatable. That it's relatively rare makes it even more special. Someone please rid me of the image of the blue one, or ensure me and my wife that car is sold or I won't be responsible for my actions.

Long as I'm dreaming out loud, a Euro 'non mouse belt' car would erase my singular gripe about my 512TR. But hey, that's why they call 'em dreams. Now, back to the real posts...

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    What was the breakout of the of 408 that came to the US...was that the TOTAL 512TR import number?

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive "heard" there are less than 20 1994s in the country...i have no detail or substance behind it unfort...

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    has anyone done the work on the red 94? stories? if not i may be having twins!

21. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Number of 512 TRs for the North American market:

1992: 238 cars
    1993: 108 cars
    1994: 60 cars

Those are not official numbers, but it should be very very very close, as they almost match a total that I once found (406 vs 408 cars for North America).

Please note that those number are excluding any grey imports.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that makes more sense...maybe there were 20 512Ms that came over?

23. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    No, there were 75 F512Ms for the North American market (all numbered "xx of 75").

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ah ok...im useless