512TR (or) F355. Which one to choose? | FerrariChat

512TR (or) F355. Which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Turi, Dec 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turi

Turi Rookie

Dec 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Turi Guilliano
    I'm looking to buy either one of those amazing cars early next year but cant really decide. Its my first ferrari buy.

The 512 is my childhood dream, the F355 is just another amazing car.

any ideas about the reliability and service cost for both cars?

thanx alot in advance

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As for servicing the car, it will be about the same. Both have to have the engine come out to change the timing belts for the major service. So you will not save on either one. It also depends on what you are looking for. The 512TR is about top end speed. The 355 is more about the twisties. You really can't loose with either one. Just depends on which one satisfies your "wow factor" more.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Salam.

What do you want out of the car? 2 VERY different feels.

4. Turi

Turi Rookie

Dec 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Turi Guilliano
    wsalam bro.

well .. first .. like i said the 512 is a childhood dream thats for one, second i love the 12 cylinder feel, thats why i bought an sl600.i heard the 512 is harder to drive, so this gives you some kind of satisfaction over the 360 drivers ..

i love to feel connected to the driving, and from the reviewes i heard the 512 is an amazing car thats gives you such a feeling

any ideas of average monthly bills if you put 100-200 miles a week on the car?

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    For daily driving, I suggest a 355. It is easier to live with, easy to drive has a decent AC, and all around much more 'modern' a car.

However the 512 is also one of my favorite cars, and you will be hard pressed to go wrong with it.

Know that the 512 feels that it has much more "grunt" due to its torque, but is harder to drive with its lack of power steering and very wide body in cities where parking, small streets, etc are a problem.

Servicing remember that every 30k miles you get a major done, which in the US will set you back 5-7k USD for either car. Aside from that yearly you need a basic fluids, etc which should not be that much. The crutch so to speak is paying for when things break, which they do at times, and accepting that repair bills can easily get into the 4 figures USD.

What year 600 BTW?

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Drive both, buy the one that feels right to you. The 512 is a great long distance cruiser, the F355 more of a tossable sports car.

Different cars, but both good ones. Get both if you can. ;)

7. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Guys, if you were to own a 328 already which one would you choose 355 or 512 and still keep the 328.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Depends on what you want to do with the cars, but if it was me, I would keep the 328 and get a 512.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 355 feels like a Kia compared to the 512 both in power and build quality.Get the 512!

10. BlackTwelve

BlackTwelve Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    New York, now Maine.
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At the end of the day, it's a very personal choice which one is the right one for you. I just bought a '93 512TR after looking at many different years/models. I had to have a twelve cylinder car, period. Personal choice. I drove 348s, 355s, 456s, 365s. All are great, but the 512TR was the one that stirred AND shook me (apologies to James Bond). You've got to try 'em both and see which one moves you the most. Both are priced in the same area, both are very expensive to maintain. The 512 will be a little harder/more expensive to get parts for and might be subject to more quirky problems. The active seat belts suck. Period. But the music the twelve makes is unlike any other sound in the automotive world and the styling is becoming classic (opinion). When disco comes back, their prices will surge. (smile)

The 355 is a very driveable, tractable car, probably better suited to everyday use. It's more "user-friendly", agile, maneuverable (from my limited experience). It probably still has some more to go in depreciation before it bottoms out, where the Testarossas/512TRs are starting to flatten out at the bottom of their depreciation curve. Some valve guide problems (I've heard) in cars that sit a lot and perhaps aren't warmed up thoroughly. Have a leakdown/compression test done as part of inspection, as it's a 25K job. But I know people who've had 'em, loved 'em and driven them hard with no regrets.

The search is part of the fun. Don't rush it, but enjoy it each step of the way. When you find the right car for you, it'll be worth the wait...

11. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    512TR will be my first choice, obviously! :) Having said that, a 355 will be nice addition.

Since you are in UAE, I guess you will get Euro versions, which won't have those automatic seatbelts that our stateside brothers get. Yes, driving a 512TR at low speeds takes a bit of effort.

Your biggest expenses will come from those engine-out services and when you have to replace parts, such as radiators, clutch, etc. 512TR parts are expensive, even more so today with Euro so high.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I have a 348...

and my dream is to one day own a 512TR.

It's that simple. The F355 is a great car, but the 512TR is a whole 'nother level. I haven't driven one, but based on testimonials and reading, I don't think it's as "difficult" to drive as some would say. After all, at 3,334 pounds, it's just 104 pounds heavier than my 348, and driving the 348 is a breeze. No power steering = true sports car and maximum feel.

The 512TR is the "poppa" Ferrari in my opinion. It was never really replaced by any other model! It's the last of the rear-engine 12 cylinder Ferraris, so as far as I'm concerned it's still king.

13. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree!

14. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I will test drive the 1994 512TR this week and see how comfortable I am in it.
    Tell you guys later and thanks for all the info.

15. harty

harty Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Glos UK
    Full Name:
    chris hart
    Have you tested the 512 yet? I bought one nearly a year ago and it took me a while to get used to the heavy steering and gearchange. Do not be put off by this as you will get used to it, but the first immpression may put you off.
    I drove a 355 which maranello here in the uk let me try. It is a great car but
    does not have the prescence of the 512, which looks like the nearest thing to sex and violence on four wheels. I had a 944turbo(250bhp and chipped to a lot more) before the 512tr, so I guess thats why I found the 355 not the
    most rapid.
    I ought to tell you that I have spent a lot of money on the car as soon as I got it. 12 years of little chips and slight scratches meant a full respray, a full service and repairs to some electrical problems, along with a new screen put 50% on the purchase price. I have removed the side grills, they had to come off for the respray and IMO it has made the car look 100% better, I sure I will hear back on that one
    Good luck with your search.

16. Roscoe

Roscoe Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What Discount/premium does color give to a 512. Black red yellow white silver and blue are the colors I have seen. What is a "premium color" and what is a "penalized color"?

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Red, and lesser degree black.
    White and lesser degree yellow.

Not saying one is better or worse then the other, just that market prices reflect the above preferences.

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Can you post a pic of your car w/ the grates off?

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Don't picture me like a jerk anybody but I dont think a 355 should be in any way a choice to a 512TR, the 512TR is in a total level, it is a 12 cylinder Ferrari and a Ferrari flagship and not an entry level bread and butter Ferrari. I would buy a Testarossa over any 355 any time unless I was looking for performance over anything else, but the 512TR is the one unless a 512M was within reach. I believe that all Ferraris are true Ferraris but nothing is like a flagship car or one that was.

20. Turi

Turi Rookie

Dec 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Turi Guilliano
    well .. looks like i made my mind

its the testarossa/512 .. depends on what i could find.

Anything specific I should look for in the car i'm buying ?

21. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Turi, there is an abandoned yellow '88 Testarossa in Dubai that would probably be free to a good home, if you're interested. I'm not sure if it's still around, it had a small panel repair right rear and motor was removed for belt change and then the owner couldn't afford it so there it sat.

22. Turi

Turi Rookie

Dec 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Turi Guilliano
    where is it !!? do you have the contact ?

well i found one in saudia arabia, '91 red testarossa with 8000 km. for around 38,000 US$ .. thats pretty cheap.

23. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    have to agree with the majority of 512TR owners on this one. I bought a 512TR about 9 months ago after having a 308 and 348. Have also driven the 355 on many occasions including tracks, and they are 2 different cars altogether. For sheer road presence however, I dont think you can beat the 512TR - have got mine fitted with a de-cat tubi and the noise now from the flat 12 is simply sensational. I used to drive in the 308 or 348 listening to the cd player...... and now I havent even got one fitted.... the engine noise is that good !

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    512tr hands down. the 355 is a toy by comparison

25. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I think 512 has made its points.
    Now, live in Bangkok and the difference between the price of a Testarossa and 512 TR is half so what would be your choice if you were in my shoes providing that both cars have excellent records and conditions?
    BTW, the prices are US$100K and US$200K!!!!