512TR Parking Light Indicator Lamp (Green) - Confirmation of functionality | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512TR Parking Light Indicator Lamp (Green) - Confirmation of functionality

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tvu, Sep 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #26 Steve Magnusson, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    If you have no 12V on the S wire of the fog light switch (when the headlight stalk knob is rotated "on"), have you checked the condition of fuse #14?

PS I will add that your 459/86 late euro TR wiring diagram seems a little sketchy when it comes to front fog lights. What is called a "Day-light flashing and fog light" on a US version TR is only called a "Front light for flashing" (like it's not a fog light), and even if you get the front fog light switch to work, it only goes to an unused "predisposed" connector in the front light area that looks like you'd need to add your own fog light to connect it to (i.e., the front fog light switch does not control the "Front light for flashing"). Maybe this predisposed connector can be added to the "Front light for flashing" to also use it as a fog light like the US version, but I haven't looked in detail at that.

2. PierreBogart

PierreBogart Rookie

Feb 7, 2007
    Hi Steve, the fuse #14 is good with thanks. I would be interested indeed in transforming my Euro into a US model fog/flash light. I don’t know why they made these two types different as fog is present in Europe and US right ? My guess would be a supply issue or a cost saving in the Euro model by removing a connector along the line. What is your view?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Europe had some pretty weird, and different, auto light laws in the late 80s depending on the country. In the 496/88 euro TR OM, this light is described as "daylight flashing (Anti-fog-light where mandatory)". If you check the TR SPC, there are 14 different part numbers for the front direction+flashing light assembly -- and they don't go into any finer detail than the whole assembly. Even for the bulbs, there isn't much detail for this flashing light:

In the euro TR OM = 55W H3 halogen (iodine vapor) -- My comment: this would be a much brighter bulb that the US 50W sealed beam bulb. Since the power is about the same as the US, my guess would be the housing would be OK to run this bulb continuously, but I don't know that for sure.

In the US TR OM = 50W sealed beam

On the electrical side (if you get your fog light switch working ;)), if you connected the predisposed connector with the two SN wires on the RH side to the same terminal on the RH flashing light with the two AB wires (and leave the AB wires still connected, too), and connected the predisposed connector with the one SN wire on the LH side to the same terminal on the LH flashing light with the one AB wire (and leave AB wire still connected, too) = the system would operate like the US system.

If fuse #14 is OK, but you don't have +12V on the S wire at the front fog light switch (when the headlight stalk knob is rotated "on") = you have a problem somewhere. I would suggest that you remove fuse #14 and turn the headlight stalk knob "on", and then measure the voltage from one of the female fuse terminals to ground and from the other female fuse terminal to ground = one of those should measure +12V.

If neither measures +12V = give a shout, and we'll go hunting upstream.

If one does measure +12V = put fuse #14 back in and the find the S wire in the horizontal x connector at the bottom area of the fuse-relay panel, and measure the voltage from that terminal to ground = should be +12V.

Do you have a copy of the 459/86 euro TR wiring diagram book?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #29 Qavion, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020