512TR Radiators | FerrariChat

512TR Radiators

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by surfitscu, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfitscu

surfitscu Rookie

Oct 28, 2015
    morgam hill, CA 9503
    Full Name:
    john
    Recently, we discovered a leaking left side (driver’s side)radiator. Of course, Ferrari made these units with a plastic or rubber top, not really suitable for any rebuilding.

I secured two new aluminum
    radiators from Wizzard Radiator, New York. These units while the same size as the original Ferrari units had a slightly higher coolant capacity. We replaced both sides with the new Wizzard radiators.

Most importantly, these new units are allowing my car to run cooler by 25-30 degrees. Originally, the car ran on the freeway at about 195-205 while with new Wizzard units, it now runs at 170-175.

The secondary effect of their better cooling is that my oil temp is down about 15 degrees.

All of this adds up to a better engine life and continued strong performance.

Notably the Wizzard units were “half” the price of a Ferrari replacement. Completely plug and play, no Modifications.

I would like to get the old unit remanufactuered, has anyone undertaken it or has a resource.

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I can't keep my original rads at 195 deg. on hiway.

3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for sharing. I was gong to make a set of custom aluminum ones for my car but now I will buy these, SO EXCITED.I will also put in new upgraded more silent fans for more airflow.

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    any good radiator shops can repair your originals ones as long as cores are ok.do you have pics of the new radiators?

qwazipsycho likes this.
  5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    My left radiator blew about 4 years ago, and I was shocked at the cost(2K+). Since it was in the shop for that, I had 5yr/30K major performed it. Just a few months later, someone posted the same info - whereby I could have replaced both radiators with the aluminum ones you mentioned for the same cost as one of the factory plastic one. Live & learn.
    But I did replace both SPAL fans since we were at it - and that helped in quickly reducing the heat, and draw on the fusebox.

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    where did you get the spal fans

7. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

GOOD news John, can you post the adress of firm (website) and partnumbers please ?

In near future, more owners will get the same problems imo ...

9. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    whats outside ambient temp ?

12. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    75deg. F.

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Took my tr out was 100 outside went to local car show and temp 190/95 steady and oil temp was 200/210 I was proud of my red head didn’t want to drive it hot temp but rarely get a chance to drive her got a lot of attention at car show gathering

15. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Hi all. My LHS radiator is pumping out steam to the front, through the fins on the door and also dripping coolant. It does this after a few minutes of running from cold. The fan kicks in and the issue presents itself. I have it up at the rear and on stands of of this evening.

I cannot see coolant leaking from any pipes, only the steam coming out from the rad. The rad is very hot to the touch. Strangely the RHS rad is stone cold.

Before i begin removing the LHS rad, does anyone have any ideas on why one side might be stone cold whilst the other is steaming?

Cheers,

Craig.

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Should be no reason unless you have some type of air pocket

Also on the rhs there is a oil radiator in top of coolant radiator .could it be you touching that

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

17. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Hi Dominick. I was checking from below, it was the rad for sure. Could be air, thanks. I’ll try bleeding them then first.

With steam coming out of the front of the rad, does it sound like that rad has failed?

Cheers.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the thermostat for the right side will not open. may be air in the thermostat housing? so try to bleed first
    also may be that the right radiator is blocked inside by debris?
    when you repair 1 radiator then just do both

this oil radiator is much smaller, but could be that you touch this one?

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Actually - it could also be one thermostat is stuck

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could only be a clamp / hose issue on top of radiator .. - these are at least 2 hoses and four clamps between pipes and radiators

ALso the plug and temp sensor .. need to check those

21. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Thank you both. I’ll check these out over the weekend.

22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had one of my radiators repaired at my local rad shop. Cost me next to nothing and he recored it.

I thought that Ferrari had tuned these engines to run best at about 195 degrees. My car does not run better any cooler.

iw3cou likes this.
  23. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    I decided to concentrate on the leaky left. Looks like i found the cause.

I’d have had the right rad out of it wasn’t for one of the two bolts holding it through the floor being difficult. It spins and doesn’t drop so i’m using the dremel. Will try drilling it out tomorrow.

Im going to try and get both units repaired.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    someone posted aluminum radiators he put in that have been looking good and also great matching. sure, not original, but I think better than the originals.
    do a search. just now I not find them.

25. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Thanks, that was wizzardcooling in the US. https://wizardcooling.com/1991-94-ferrari-512-tr-1995-f512m-passenger-side-aluminum-radiator/

They do look great. $1300 per side but for me there’s import duties, VAT and shipping to the UK.

In the UK there’s an outfit that make bespoke rads - https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehicles/classic/

I’m going to compare the cost and merits of each option. If the repair quote comes in too high then replacement will be the way forward.

Thanks as ever for your help.