512TR starter solonoid and check engine | FerrariChat

512TR starter solonoid and check engine

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Christofer Olsson, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Hello!

I recently did the time belt service and when they did that they also did the gearbox oil change, brake fluid change, valvecover gasket on both sides.

After that i testdrove the car two times.

The first time i started the Engine the 1-6 check Engine lamp was on. It disappeared after a while and when you run the car with rpm over 1500-2000 then there is no lamp at all but if you slow down then the lamp comes on and a fast red lamp "slow down 1-6" just blink and when you give it a Little gas then the lamps are gone.

The second time i heard a noice after a while and when i still drove the car. I stopped the car and then i could not start it again. It just "BZZZZ" and the Engine will not run overa nymore

When i opened the hood there was a smell of something burned and when i removed the starter the smell was much higher. It seems that the starter "tried to start then Engine" when i drove the car. So the solonoid must be replaced. Anyone knows where to get this and how much it will cost. And if anyone knows why the starter did try to run when the Engine was running?

Also what to do with this blink of slow-down and check Engine?
    Thanks

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  3. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you need a brand new original Bosch starter and solenoid, PM me..

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I'm realy concerned about the fine wires Ferrari started using from 355 to modern cars. I advice owners NOT to upgrade fuses to a fuse with higher Amperage. The fuse is going to be fine when a higher current passes, but your cable loom will melt down.

Guido

5. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Hello, i am not sure how to pm somebody. I tried to start a new conversation but it Said that it was not possible.

So what is the price? What are the Numbers on it? Are you sure it Will fit my car?

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You have to subscribe : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/account/upgrades

Guido

7. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Christofer

I just sent you a conversation message with my contact information.

Thanks
    Mike

8. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Hello!

I just want to give an update on problem above. The car is running again, it was quite tough to find the part but i finally did and the car started great again. I have testdrove it a few times now and sometimes i noticed that the brake light is on and sometimes it does not go on. Anyone now what can cause this light to go on? On the service they did the brake fluid change.

Regarding the check Engine light it is on a few times but it goes off almost immediately again. The slow down light has not come on so far. Probably the car needs to get running a bit.

Regarding why the starter motor did get running even when the cars Engine was running, my mechanic found a relay against the starter motor and that needed to be replaced. So far the starter motor does not run when the Engine is on.

9. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    You have probably checked but if the brake fluid is low the sensor in the reservoir will operate the dash light. So fill it up a bit

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    brake light at the rear or in the dashboard?

11. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    The brake light in the dashboard.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    have a look at the handbrake

13. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Hello again, the hand brake light is working as it should. I have pulled up the hand brake and pulled it down but no change on the brake light. The hand brake light turns on and off as it should.

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then the sensor at the brake fluid reservoir may be fail?

15. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Some new news regarding the problem with the check engine light. We think that it has been sorted out now. There was a crack in the ignition coil to the 1-6 cylinders. So i will testdrive it in the weekend and see if the lights are not showing anymore.

I have also done the gearbox change of oil and i have read alot about the diff. Do you guys have something to say about this? Did any have problems with it. The garage did not mention anything strange in the oil that was changed.

The car runs well in the gearbox so i have not noticed anything about the diff.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even when the diff housing is broken there not have to be debris in the oil ( when it just cracked, but this you don´t feel )

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512tr-gearbox-problem.343161/

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Upgraded diff housing is debated on this forum to death. Changing out the housing makes some people sleep better at night.

turbo-joe likes this.