512tr vs Diablo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512tr vs Diablo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by AmoCS, Oct 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    I'm not sure about that one, but if it has less than 530 BHP like a 99 SV has then I doubt it is faster.

2. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H

Owned a '93 TR 2-'99 Diablo's , still have one '99 Diablo and now an F40. Not a fair comparison of the '93 TR to the '99 Diablo. But agree with the above statements 'cept would never own a roadster. Someone else commented the Diablo was "more like a kit car" I completely disagree. I am aware some cars can be nightmares as to maintainance, but what exotic isn't prone to that?
    Oh yeah the F40-LOL

3. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    How does the Diablo compare to the F40?, on paper performance is similiar.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Weight vs power

5. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    I used to think that also but it's not always true. For example, a Lotus Esprit Sport 350 is 80KG lighter than the standard Esprit V8 (both have exactly the same level of BHP) yet both cars show exactly the same performance figures. The 80KG reduction in weight didn't make the sport 350 any quicker, so I doubt a lighter 1997 Diablo SV with less BHP than than a heavier 1999 Diablo SV would be quicker. However there is a small possibility that a lightened 99 SV may be slightly quicker than a standard 99 SV.

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    That weight differential is to small to make a big improvement, the difference could be the driver in the case of the Lotus.

But when you match the 3600 lbs + of the Diablo brick against the closer to 2200 lbs of the F-40, there is gobs of difference.

I dont car what year or model Diablo, they are not in my opinion "sporty".

7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I think, I could keep up with a Diablo in my 4 cylinder Lotus on a twisty track. In the straights I would be murdered.

8. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    KENCO,
    The official performance test figures for the Esprit V8 and lighter Esprit Sport 350 are identical so it's not the driver. Maybe a huge weight reduction instead of minor weight reduction will make a Diablo that bit quicker, who knows.

9. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    iam in mexico.keyboard issues. diablo very torque oriented. thef40. blinding speed whence the turbos spool up. as mentioned befor. its a wt to hp thing. the lighter th better. still love em both. back at ya when i have a keyboard i understand............

10. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    First of all. I don't believe any of us would drive our cars the way they are driven to get the 0-60 , 0-100 or 1/4 mi times listed anywhere. Who in their right mind would hammer a car that'll cost you tens of thousands to fix if broken by such abuse? The Diablo has great off the line torque and pulls hard throughout the powerband. It does feel "heavy" compared to the F40 at any speed. Using two smaller turbos allows the power to come on earlier and smoother w/the F40 than in my RUF w/ a single larger turbo. Once on boost, which is quickly achieved, the throttle response of the F40 is much quicker than the Diablo. Again, as mentioned by others previously, the weight difference has to play a huge part in that. The thrust of an F40 is something to be experienced first hand. At WOT between 6-8K RPM it feels like your eyeballs are being pushed back into your skull. No other car I have ever been in produces such a rush. Long winded way of saying don't believe everything on paper-seat of the pants feel is far superior in the F40.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Gotta re-tell a story from a few years back when I had my ZR-1 Corvette. Every year at Route-66 dragway in Joliet, Ill. we would have a Vette / Viper shoot out. My ZR-1 was very quick running low 12s at about 120mph on street tires with a full exhaust system. I could hang with the stock Viper GTS cars and beat a few, but stock for stock the Viper would usually win. Well after hours of listening to Lotus-built cammer V-8s running Dodge V-10s you get used to the sound they make. Suddenly we all hear what sounds like a "japanese drag-bike" doing a burn out. Everyone drops what they are doing and runs for the starting line to see what's going on. There we see a.....my eyes could hardly believe it....a Ferrari F-40....just backing up from doing his burn out. He pulls up to the Christmas Tree....revs slightly....and when the lights turn green off he goes kinda gingerly.....granny-shifts into 2nd gear and about half-way through you hear the motor really start to rev and pull, then another granny-shift into 3rd. and he just gets into 4th near the finish line....the F-40's time was an astounding 11.87 at something like 128mph !!!!!!!!!!! That time far and away blew any stock or slightly modified ZR-1 or Viper into the weeds. The F-40 was stock, with street tires, and a Tubi exhaust - what a wicked car it is! The F-40 made two more passes down the quarter mile, going quicker each time...I'd heard the car was in the 11.60 range. Now as an old musclecar guy and racer....let me tell you......that was SOMETHING!! Since that day I have been fortunate enough to get a ride in an F-40 around a track, and the driver beat on her pretty hard. As I got out of the car I felt a little shakey and my lovely girlfriend Karen said I looked a little pale. The F-40 is an absolute animal, no way around it. I'll never get one.....but a guy can still dream....

12. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Great story.Yes, the F40 is truly an amazing and beautiful beast. I haven't been fortunate enough to get a ride in one yet, but I want one too!

13. Ermanno Claypool

Ermanno Claypool Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Ermanno

Really ? :(
    I really hoped that Diablo 's handling was better than TR one....i mean compared to the 1985 one,not the later TR and M.
    If i'm not wrong, Countach's handling (especially the QV and the 25th) is better/at least equal with 512BB one...so i hoped that the Diablo (which is a 1990 car,anyway) was better than a TR.
    But i suspet that is the high positioned engine that cause a not-so-good handling...am i wrong?

14. cafebisque

cafebisque Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Alex G
    Again it depends on which cars you are comparing. If you are looking at the 85-91 cars and put those up against a 91-93 Diablo, then the Lambo has all the advantages. Much more power, bigger tires, much better brakes, better chassis, stability, and much, much higher top end. However, once the VT came along, the Diablo gained some weight, but became a much more stable car for majority of drivers. If you want to scare the sh-t out of your self or can truly handle an SV, then that's the car for you. The 512TR is certainly more refined then the Testarossa, but the later Diablo's also underwent substantial development. By the time you get to the 6.0, from 2001 and under Audi's supervision, no TR or M could keep the pace with that car and the build quality was fairly hi along the curve for an exotic for the last models. There are a few other Diablos that are will absolutely amaze you, such as the GT, GTR and SVR.

All considering, if you are serious, you need to drive the two to realistically compare. For me, the TR is more of a GT, but the lambo is an animal and will eat the ferrari for lunch. If you can, got to have both.

AG
    __
    01 Diablo 6.0
    91 Testarossa
    97 Porsche 911 C2S
    90 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

15. NOWANNABE65

NOWANNABE65 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    I HAVE A 88 TESTAROSSA AND A 99 DIABLO ROADSTER. YOU GET SO MUCH MORE CAR FOR THE MONEY FOR THE TESTAROSSA AND IS MUCH SAFER AND EASIER TO DRIVE.

16. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    A buddy of mine owns both a 91 Diablo and a 89 Testarossa and loves both of them and says if you could get em both.

17. HkPlinker

HkPlinker Rookie

Feb 19, 2006
    Southern Miss
    Full Name:
    Mark Livingston