550 A/C Compressor Removal | FerrariChat

550 A/C Compressor Removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by pchop, Oct 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone know how to remove and reinstall the A/C Compressor? Mine will need to be rebuild, so I want to remove it and to send it out. Btw, I mine 550 is a 2000 (don't know if that matters).

Thanks!

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Go to a top mechanic or a good dealership. :)

3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #3 Patek, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just went through this, took forever. A thing to quiz the people who rebuild it , will they rebuild the clutch. I got mine back 5 day ago, after they did not rebuild the clutch, and the magnet messed up, it sat in the shop for 3 weeks. It was blowing 7.5 amp fuse everytime. It was the magnet in the clutch. Most shop will rebuild, but ASK them.

Best,
    John

1998 550
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That must have been frustrating; why would anyone rebuild the compressor but leave the clutch alone? They've got to pull the clutch off to tear the compressor down anyway.

It's like you paid to have an engine rebuilt, but they didn't do the heads........

5. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    when i did mine done i cleared access by removing the panel under the engine and opening all access from the top. then i had an a/c shop pull and replace and recharge the system. brought it home and replaced what i had taken out. this saved 3-4 hours of labor chages and left the other stuff to the pros.

6. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Good advice gang. I took a look at the diagram and I think I'll leave it to the pro...lol.