550 aftermarket springs and shocks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 aftermarket springs and shocks

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Jun 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Henry - The FHP fronts are 375 and the HGTC fronts are 400 according to my dealer.

2. drabe

drabe Karting

May 29, 2010

Terry, do you know the spring rates of these and if the shocks are appropriately valved for them?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  4. drabe

drabe Karting

May 29, 2010
    Are these for the cosmos spring or for the OEM HGTC?

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    all i can say is that i am pleased as punch with the swap. was initially a little ticked of that the FHP rear bar is no longer available but the car is nice and firm with very predictable handling at the limits. so that HGTC smaller rear bar works.

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Please check this with your dealer... but I was told if the Actuators fail the car would go into Sport Mode until you could get em fixed.

The other guys talking on this thread know a lot more then I do !

so maybe they will confirm.

Cheers,

Bill

7. gpanouts 550

gpanouts 550 Rookie

Oct 17, 2007
    Athens Greece
    Maranello 550 shocks are made by bilstein and in a bilstein shop you could rebuild them . You could also change their pistons by others that produce even 5 times stronger forces bound or rebound . The result is absoluty superior than stock in track even on public roads .
    My set up :
    600 lbs/450lbs fron/rear springs . You have to constract adapters as you could not find springs in stock diameter .
    New pistons and washers by bilstein that they produce 3 times stronger forces than stock . Before and after rebuild the socks on specific dynometer .
    The result is beyond every aspect you could have from an aftermarket suspension . The handling and cornering are perfect . The car still remains a grand tourer mile-eater ...

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    By chance when you got them rebuilt did they give you a front and rear shock dyno gragh?

9. gpanouts 550

gpanouts 550 Rookie

Oct 17, 2007
    Athens Greece
    Yes, front rear before and after .
    There is a difference also in curve speed/force .
    Sorry but I could not attach the grafics .

10. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Great Info, I have the Moton Club Sport with 1000LBS both front and rear works good on and off the track.

Alex Lin

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Alex,

What kind of laptimes can you get on ACS or WSIR?

12. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX

My best laptime in WSIR big track was only 1:47... due to worn street tires, will try next time with some fresh rubber to break 1:40... With the small tracK " Street of Willow" I did 1:29.562 which is OK, look forward to 1:28s or even 27s someday.... AAA "Roval" was 1:57.752.... Last month with Speedventure I could not break my own laptime due to light rain and I could only get down to 2:02....

Alex Lin

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool Alex,

One day we will have to get our 550's out there with alfa club or speed ventures. I run those tracks pretty often mostly with SCCA and SV.

14. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX

Of course, we should. On Jan 29th, EVO sports booked Big Willow Saturday all day event, I plan to join if I can spare my time out. Will let you know when time gets closer...

Alex

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have got to get some shock work done before I get the 550 to the track. I have never tracked this car. The vette racecar always derails my plans. And true to form I am again rushing to get my racecar ready for my first race of the season 1/20/11 trying to fix all the problems I had in 2010.

16. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Would any of you who have gone to aftermarket shocks on the 550, still have your OEM shocks? And would you want to sell them?

If so, please PM me. Ideally, I'm looking for rebuildable cores and could use a rear set soon.

p.s. Partial sets are interesting too!

17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I'm looking into a hydraulic lift kit for the front of the 550 and am needing to source some custom springs.

Our stock springs are around 11" tall (free length), 5" OD, and 4" ID, with a rate of around 310-315 lbf/in.

The hydraulic rams that will be located under the springs are about 3" tall, and since I still have about 1" of adjustability at the bottom of the Bilsteins, I'm needing new springs that are about 2" shorter than stock, or 8 3/4" to 9" tall.

Most coilover springs are designed with a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" ID, however for some reason Ferrari chose much larger diameters for the 550 (it would be interesting to know why).

It would be "possible" to go to a smaller diameter spring, however the 550's top shock mounts have a spring centering boss cast into them that would have to be machined off. Not a problem, but it starts getting a bit messy when you're trying to make a PnP setup and stuff has to be taken to the machine shop and modified. The better solution would be to stay with the stock spring diameters, and just have some new springs wound. Easier said than done, however. So far, I've contacted Eibach, Ground Control, Performance Shock, Eaton Detroit, Cannon Racecraft, and a few others, and no one is interested.

If anyone knows of a US based custom spring winder, I'm all ears! Else, like most weird car stuff, I'll probably end up sourcing these from the UK.

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks Dave - those FHP's are just a bit too long, but it's good to know they're available and they'll work.

So far, I've been able to find two places in the US that have, or can make the springs. Eaton Detroit (http://www.eatonsprings.com/) will make them for around $650 for the pair, and Rob from DeltaVee was kind enough to find some Lensing springs for me at LeftHander Chassis for less than $100 for the pair (and they're normal production items - not custom!). https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2511847

Also, Peter Faulkner @ Faulkner Springs in the UK said he'd wind nearly any spring I needed for around $250 for the pair. He's running the calcs on some 8 3/4" x 5" x 315 lbf/in now to see where they'll bind, and how well they'll work with these rams.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Make sure you set them up so you can bounce the front end up and down. That will bring down the house any time you do it.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjq0VBCrNo&feature=fvst[/ame]

22. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Taz / Barry, I'll definitely need a set of those super-duper motor mounts before I attempt one of those setups :)

This is more what I had in mind:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0H-bfUKRxI[/ame]

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Jan has it on her GL 550, but it is pneumatically powered. Push a button at low speed and the car raises 4" all around. Jeep now has the system on the Grand Cherokee, too. Worked great when I took her fly fishing in Colorado.

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    All the lowriders in that video had the "old solution" 550 mounts installed.

:D