550 as a daily driver? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 as a daily driver?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dmark1, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I agree.

2. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    jakermc - Interesting. Here is the Boardwalk link which still has it at $129k http://www.boardwalkferrari.com/used-inventory/ Jim @ Sports Car Co. must have JUST lowered it to $119k.

As to the items being EASILY replaced I think you will get some pushback on that from others on this forum. The salesperson at Boardwalk spent 2-3 weeks tracking down docs on this vehicle and came up with nothing. This, I should add, was before I made my offer, so there was no risk the salesperson was yanking my chain because my offer was too low.

If an authorized dealer can't pull docs on one of their own cars, that's a problem. I would also question how easy it is to replace books, remotes, keys, tool kits, etc. I have no experience there, but a few F-car owners I know have indicated getting remotes and keys replaced, once lost, is a huge and expensive hassle. Just sayin. Thanks for the perspective, however.

Thanks, Kosmo. I did not want to make this thread a 'beat up on Boardwalk' theme. I really think my experience was driven by a junior, poorly trained salesperson there who just did not represent the vehicle correctly nor the deal correctly. Truth be told, the other folks I interacted with there were nothing but pleasant. If I ever re-engage on this 575 I will certainly pull rank and move up the ladder there to someone with more influence and experience.

Fair criticism, henryr. I may have been trying too hard to "square peg, round hole" this situation with a car that just wasn't right for my expectations. Can't have everything, I suppose.

My understanding from a F-car colleague I sent to San Diego to drive Sheehan's 575 (when it was at FoOC) was that it was up-to-date on services. My friend (another F-chatter) is super picky, so when he says the car was immaculate, I take him at his word. Yes, I think $100k was a very good price on that vehicle. That said it was on the market for months and Grigio Alloy is, to some, an off-color which might explain why it went for that price and took that long. FoSF had an identical 575 (color combo, that is) with an F1 and it sold for about the same, maybe in the high-$90ks.

As to other gated 575s, there are several in the for-sale market. Beverly Hills Classic Cars has a Silver/Black one. I hear there is a lot of room in that price. There was a Tit/Blu one at FoNE that just sold, there is one being offered by an F-chatter here: http://www.575m.net/ that is gorgeous but all the money right now. There are several others that I am waiting to get more info on.

Couldn't agree more.

ketel

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #53 henryr, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    wasn't a criticism at all. i was doing the same thing when i started 550 shopping. i had a wanted list and if i came across a car that didn't have everything i wanted i'd start deducting. i found it just doesn't seem to work.....

i have seen wholesalers sell cars that dealers couldn't sell a zillion times at the same or higher prices. i think the Fcar dealer network intimates buyers sometimes or they don't seem to catch the "i see it i want it buyer".

i think i've seen this car for sale before. it was for sale by owner back maybe a year or two. started out at $130 and eventually dropped it to $120k. the only was slightly sketchy on the service and the records he faxed had showed some sort of check engine light issue.

4. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You are absolutely right, it was just lowered.

Keys are not expensive, many locksmiths can cut a new one and blanks are all over Ebay. Remotes, tool kits, etc. can be expensive when dealing with an independent sale, but this is where you can leverage a dealer sale (in this case leverage the fact that Boardwalk has it on consignment.) Just make a $ offer and say the deal is contingent upon keys, books, etc. You were discounting the deal at your retail cost, creating a larger gap between bid and ask. By putting the delivery of these items back on the dealer, they will value that request at their wholesale cost, closing the bid/ask spread. What might be difficult and expensive for you to source will not be for the dealer.

Some recent examples from my own purchases:

2004 Maserati was missing an owners manual, I bought it from Ricambi for < $100

2003 575M was (still is) missing the tool kit. Deal was contingent upon dealer getting me one. They will either source it from another car they get it or buy me a new one, I gave them some time to come up with one.

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Although caution is the order of the day, I've found ebay to be a good source for a lot of these items. I was able, with patience, to get a new Schedoni manual binder, every 456M original owner manual and silly consumer info booklet and even the flashlight--all genuine Ferrari--at a fraction of the cost through regular means. It took several months to put it together, but it was easily worth it.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ketel haven't you been "looking" for a 575/550 for as long as I can remember?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Allan- You are right. There is a 575M tool kit for sale right now and I have five OMs, picked up at very reasonable prices.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    #58 kosmo, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    the car does NOT have a clear bra. The sportcar co has another 575 w/ an F1 at $119k.
    Frankly there seems to some better deals out there...

9. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Yes, Sports Car Co has two (2) 2004 Silver 575s for sale @ $119k in eBay - one Argento/Bordeaux with 6k miles; and the Silver/Black gated one that this thread has been discussing. Easy to get them confused.

And, yes, I agree there are better deals to be had out there in 575 land, IMO.

ketel

10. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    maybe they'll take $110k?
    Honestly, I just started "studying" this space and must admit there arent too many data points but theres no reason why prices cant fall ~20% by the new year.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    As reiterated, 550s make wonderful dailies. in 4 years b/w two cars i did over 120k miles. any weather including light snow. you'd be silly not to. the only real issue was making sure exhaust wasn't too obtrusive (mine was on the later car right at like 2700 rpm which is about 80mph - annoying)

12. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Ketel, the 575 6spd on Ebay now has a "or Best Offer" option. The BIN is still the same at $119k. Its coming your way!!!
    Of course its still listed on Broadwalks website at $129k.

13. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Yes, I noticed. Too funny.

You never know: I could end up buying this thing after all. Things tend to come around in this crazy, incestuous Ferrari world we live in. You pass on a car (or miss out on it) and it washes up on your shores again before long.

ketel

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Only happens to undecisive people. I bought the first one that came along. Problem solved. :)

Onno

15. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    thats funny. My friend married the first girl that came along. Now he's divorced and living in my guest room. :(

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Cameron?

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    definitely not the sausage king of Chicago!

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I knew you'd come. :)

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    This thread is like the equivalent of being at the bottom of a pool looking at what you think is the love of your life.

I say, get out of the pool, grab that beautiful butterfly!

20. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    +1

21. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    To each his own, but I find that knowing what you want, being methodical, and pulling the trigger when the pieces fit has served me well with the big decisions in life - career, investments, houses, expensive cars, women, etc. If you're more of an impulse person, God bless ya, but as I recall from your elaborate spreadsheet on 550 running costs, you're pretty methodical yourself. Not a criticism, just an observation. Live and let live.

ketel

22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It was just a joke. Pure coincidence that the first one I encountered met all my criteria. I have often stated here that finding a good one is much harder than people think.

Onno

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I know exactly what you mean, Onno. The first Maranello I saw was the one I now own. I saw it in early 2002 when I brought my 308 in for servicing. It had some damage to the driver's side wheels and rocker panel as a result of an offtrack excursion at Limerock. Classic Coach would make it right. It was gorgeous! How lucky I was to be at Classic when the owner decided to sell. I liked the 59,000 miles, of which several thousand were track miles. The car is reliable and problem-free. It doesn't leak or burn oil. I'm pretty sure that the Ferrari 550 recall for oil line repositioning and shielding was precipitated by my car experiencing the oil leak problem seven years ago.

I know you happily put miles on your 550 also. That's what they are for.

Barry

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    As is yours, Onno. They're practically twins!

Barry

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It is again, now... my brother clipped a lamppost when turning into our driveway suffering a slight dent and some scratching. He picked her up yesterday all bright and shiney - just the way I like her. She has to look perfect, and I spend some money on that every year, as and when it's needed. In a month or so I'm having the boys from Swissvax revitalise the interior. I'm very curious to see the results they're going to get, apparently they're miracle workers.

As for the miles, my brother drove her through the 50k kms marker yesterday. I hope to still have her when she hits the 200k kms marker!

Onno