550 barchetta vs f40 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 barchetta vs f40

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scycle2020, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    That is a great point. In the future, will someone buy an F40, deemed as a classic by then, or buy the latest sportscar with similar performance? Today, average sportscars are getting close to the performance numbers of the F40. Do you buy a 10-year old McLaren F1 for $1 million or buy the latest Ferrari Enzo for $1 million? They made approx. 64 road versions of the F1 (not including the LM's) and made what 400 Enzos (bringing up the rarity issue). For my generation (20's to 35's) we grew up with the McLaren F1 and not the Enzo. I am sure that tomorrow someone will bring out a car to crush the supercar title (Bugatti if they quit crashing the cars). That won't change my opinion on the McLaren because it has held the top speed title and it has taken over 10 years for other manufacturers to get close.

That said, the F40 was one of the posters on the wall and WILL go up in value as the 20 and 30-somethings make the big bucks. You don't see Shelby GT500s or Hemi cars losing value because newer and more technologically-advanced automobiles have come out. Those cars could only do one thing well - drive in a straight line.

As far as the investment issue, I think it is WAY to early to consider either cars as an investment. It may take 20-years for the barchetta to go up in value. That means you would lose many other investment opportunities. The F40 is much older and had a more significant place in history. The F40 may have to wait a long time as well. Way too soon to see appreciation. You're better off holding real estate because prices in the 550 Barchetta shouldn't go up for a very long time, if they do at all.

That said, I think the 550 Barchetta is one of the most beautiful cars, even though the top doesn't work well. At $200K, I think the car is an absolute bargain. Not to mention it is a 6-speed and they didn't produce many of them. It is absolutely impossible to find a 575 Maranello with a 6-speed, that is unless you want to order one for $240K and it'll be worth $200K in 9-months. Barrett-Jackson sold a Pozzi blue barchetta in January. Supposedly, the only pozzi blue US car. Does anyone think the 550 barchetta will hit $150K or hit the bottom at $200K?

2. kito

kito Karting

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Since this thread touches on the things I wanted to find out, I'll revive it...
    What are the Barchetta prices like now and the collectibility status? My dad went to FoH yesterday looking at the yellow one they have for sale and they want $245k for it. As far as the hardtop that I've seen in a couple pictures, was that a factory option? Any ideas of how many black/black were made? I know one member mentioned he had one so they obviously exist.

3. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Interesting how this thread has aged.

ewright, Il Tifoso and amenasce like this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    For once my comment aged well.

ralfabco likes this.
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I wonder what happened to mccprivate. Hasn’t posted for 16 years.

he was right about some of the cars, CGT, 288. But not the 308 or Testa.

I wonder what will happen to Barchetta values. I’d like to think they’re the next Daytona Spider, equally though there are lots of V12 convertibles in the modern era, from Aston, Lambo, even Mercedes; and V10s. And all the V8 front and mid engined Ferrari spiders, all with better roof systems.

I have been tempted a few times. It’s true that if you drive A to A on sunny days you don’t need a roof.

they’ve been pretty steady for many years here: £250k or a bit more.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I remember some of those members