550 barchetta | FerrariChat

550 barchetta

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ScottS, Aug 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Why have not these taken off?

Recent example for a great value and similar prices. Mike had another he sold for around the same or less.

Deja-Vu 550 BARCHETTA -RED BOOK!! YELLOW/BLACK 5950 mi MINT!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=9080&share_tid=641993&url=https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Deja-Vu-550-BARCHETTA--RED-BOOK%21%21-YELLOW-BLACK-5950-mi-MINT%21.641993/&share_type=t&link_source=app

6 speed. Special. Open. Is it limited use that keeps them down?

Curious for others opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Likely for the same reason Ferrari has not been able to sell the Monza SP models as quickly as hoped.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That particular car seems to have Alcantara around the instrument binnacle, and a stitching in yellow around the centre of the wheel. Aftermarket?

The leather on the wheel looks a bit sun faded, which I guess is the danger for these cars.

I was tempted by one. I could sell my gated 575 plus use the insurance money from my 550 which was killed by a falling tree, to buy a nice one. But I have never been seriously tempted, despite the fact that I love open cars and would have bought a standard spider version of a Maranello in a heartbeat, if they had made one. (It would be a good complement to my gated 430 spider).

My reasons for saying yes: looks great, rare, nice spec, come in some cool colours (I saw a beautiful Rosso metalizzato one here in Switzerland yesterday). Really pretty Ferrari with a V12 and open top and gated, what's not to love?

My reasons for saying no: much more money and no more power or handling prowess than a standard 550 (in fact less good to drive), and 550s not that rare. Less good to drive than my gated FHP 575.

No roof. I live in England and while I have probably had the roof shut while driving my 430 twice in five years, it's also about security a) of knowing there is one of it does rain and b) being able to park it in public.

In California or Texas or Monaco you'd have concerns about sunburn, and in Florida you'd rarely be able to take it out for a couple of days.

and then there's the value element, is it really worth three times a 550? I guess the market says just about yes, but no more.

If they had spiced it up, if it had more practicality, then I guess it would be even more desirable. Still, a fantastic car and a 20 year old car selling for hundreds of thousands is obviously super desirable anyway.

Mirek and white out like this.
  4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Alcantara around the binnacle is standard for this model… I’ve not seen contrasting stitching on the wheel like this before.

Ruben

5. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    None of the cars had Alcantera. The fabric used on the Barchetta's is another material. It was on the center tunnel, binnacle and rear panel behind the seats.
    I have considered replacing mine with Alcantera, since mine has faded over the years.

6. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    The material is called Lorica.

rampante550, JAM1 and Il Tifoso like this.
  7. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Is the Lorica material still available? Ideally I would like to use the original fabric, even though it has not been as durable as Alcantera.

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lorica is no longer available. Aside from Ferrari I’ve tried a dozen or so shops that used to have it with hope of enough leftover to do the job with no luck. Alcantara is the best bet…

9. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I just had mine replaced. The fabric is available in Italy.

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Can you share who sourced it? Both my Ferrari dealers in FL and NY said nla and I called all over the place looking!

11. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Great information. Can you let me know where you purchased it, so I can order some as well.

12. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Bradan had ordered the material for me 3+ years ago.

JAM1 likes this.
  13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I’m also from England and used to rain - All the time .
    Recently bought the Barchetta -superb ! Flawed , yes , undervalued - definitely . I don’t just mean financially , but also fun wise .
    Imho ( and several fellow collectors /driver friends ) a Manual gated, V12, numbered individually and limited … 448…. Should be equivalent in value to Carrera gt- circa £750k…. “Should”….. however , I believe will increase from about the £300k present cost to about £500k- soon I believe ….
    Anyway- fun fun fun

white out, -K1- and JAM1 like this.
  14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Appreciate the info. I spoke with them before and was told nla. Talked to them again yesterday and they said it's possible but they can't guarantee getting enough to do the entire job but that could change in time (covid supply chain issues). In any event I will keep it in mind for redoing my car but the alcantara durability sure is appealing.

cgt000 likes this.
  15. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on how it drives please as you clearly have some other lovely cars.

JagShergill likes this.
  16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Drive a 550 and imagine the wind in your hair. :)

JagShergill likes this.
  17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Comparable value to a carerra gt is daft in my opinion. CGT is a bespoke car through and through (ok, save for a few 996 switches), and an incredible drive. The barchetta isn’t a pretty thing in my eyes, and underneath it’s “just” a 550.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Shark01 likes this.
  18. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    1/3rd the price of a CGT

JagShergill likes this.
  19. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

20. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Hi Robin.
    I hope you’re well …
    Daft? You’re welcome to you’re opinion however would never call your ‘opinion ‘ daft /stupid/idiotic…. Like me you’ve probably driven a cgt/550 barchetta// 550 when they 1st came out and again in the last 2 months - if that’s the case I’m bowing to your insight…. Regards ,

21. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    However , I guess your probably being a little snobbish … The 550 Barchetta is lovely - far from perfect , but special nonetheless. The CGT is lovely , far from perfect , nonetheless and made in significantly higher numbers - I may be being a little prickly at my thoughts be being labeled “Daft” , but , hey ho- 1st world problems . . . If you’ve driven both a cgt and 550Barchetta within recent memory , then fair enough - if you haven’t , still fair enough - your opinion isn’t “daft” , just based on your ability to google

22. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I have both. It's really not fair comparing the two. They're both great in their own ways. CGT needs ALL your attention when driving it fast. It puts a huge smile on your face but can get you mentally and physically exhausted. The Barchetta is much easier to drive fast and demands less concentration. When given a choice, my wife picks the Barchetta every time over the CGT for a fun weekend drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Now THATs a fabulous 2 car garage ! Beautiful

cgt000 likes this.
  24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Beautiful cars. Enjoy.

I understand Ferrari did not present a press car for the automobile magazine authors and drivers to examine and test and publish the results. Perhaps this limited cover articles which restrained promotion, demand, and hype for the car.

Some moan about the issue with the top and the impractical method to install. The original old open top F cars with little to no windshield have no top at all. Yes it is not the same type of car. Not everyone wants a practical daily driver car. It is the easiest exotic I have driven.

Interesting how the Murcielago and LP 640 have taken off in value. Especially the LP640 manual. I assume the Murcielago and LP640 Roadster with the manual is already ahead in value of the Barchetta. In addition the Diablo Roadster has held it’s value.

Not all that many reasonable F car options with an open top, 12 cyl, and a manual box.

JagShergill likes this.
  25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Apologies gents- when I call people daft I really don’t mean any offence. This is all in my humble opinion as someone who has driven neither a barchetta or a CGT. For me though, a CGT deserves to be 3 times the price or a barchetta. Remember the CGT came out as a competitor to the Enzo, and I don’t think many people typically compare the barchetta as being on the same level as an Enzo.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

cgt000 likes this.