550 barchetta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 barchetta

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ScottS, Aug 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I understand - however , not many people would consider the CGT as anywhere near a competitor to the Enzo , and although I’m probably biased , by extrapolating your logic the CGT should be double to triple its present price and closer to an Enzo now - not a cogent argument … anyhows , the 550 Barchetta is yummy and on the rise

JAM1 likes this.
  2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    CGT has always been undervalued compared with Enzo, but that doesn’t mean the two weren’t head to head competitors.

Exactly the same as the old 959 vs F40 comparison.

Anyway, I fear we (well me anyway!) are veering off track. I agree that the barchetta rightly deserves to be held in very high regard.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Agreed

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For whatever reason, Ferrari did not hot-rod the 550 engine like they did the Superamerica engine, so the drivetrain is stock 550. Many Barchettas were built after the three pre-production 575Ms (123761, 123764, and 123765) were built, so that is probably why they went with a stock drivetrain. Could have done a 612 Sessanta and installed the 575M engine and transaxle in the Barchettas, but guess they decided not to.

5. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Given that these are the only special edition v12 that has no mechanical upgrades could be the reason the values have lagged a bit behind the later ones.

6. 550Maranello

550Maranello Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The value I see in the Barchetta is that it is a bespoke limited edition convertible with different styling than the coupe.
    I don’t think the lack of powertrain modification is an issue.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Agree.

My 'guess' the issue is the top. I do not believe it is a deal breaker

All the modern F cars are going to run away from a 550/575/S.A., on a fun run/track.

Just like the 550 would run away from the cars from the 1960's.

It takes a lot of work with a 60's exotic to try and stay with modern exotics on a fun run.

8. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Had not reflected that CGT was an Enzo competitor - it is different league to an Enzo. Apart from market values.

9. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I bet you could put a Fabio exhaust, some carbon MOVIT brakes and some MSW upgrades and have a really sweet car.

Mellow_Maranello likes this.