550 crazy prices | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 crazy prices

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Kingvogue, Oct 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Whoa....$200k with a tatty interior- check out the rash on drivers seat

2. D-F

D-F Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Its still affordable for an untouched 550 with low mileage. This car should do 215.

3. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Geez- at that price point the car should be PERFECT- the HVAC is bubbling, some stickness starting on the ashtray, some weird aftermarket audio thing by the shifter... the car is in great condition no doubt, just saying...but obviously the bidders aren't being that picky so my comment doesn't mean anything :)

This is the same color combination as the 550 I had a ride in back in 1997 when the 550 just came out- it was my very first ride in a ferrari! Really ignited my interest in the brand- I always loved Ferraris as a kid as I did Porsches, BMWs etc, but once I actually had a ride in one I started calculating ways to get one. Right after the ride I got into my '90 corvette to go home, which seemed like it was weezing and very sloppy/slow after a back to back drive- that 550 was some ride! I remember the back wheels hopping from the sheer power of the motor- could hardly keep the power/torque down!

4. Kingvogue

Kingvogue Karting

May 9, 2014
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Does anyone know anything about the dealer that is offering the car, are they legitemnnt bids? Over the years, I've seen a lot of sellers have there friends bid an item just to try to get some interest and of course attempt to raise the bids. I'm not saying this is the case, just a thought

5. 550Maranello

550Maranello Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I've been "in the market" recently and am now definitely priced out. Low mileage examples (under 20K) are selling (not asking) for over 200K now. Crazy but it seems prices are still rising. I guess I'm not the only one.

6. Ingrid550

Ingrid550 Rookie

Aug 17, 2011
    Metamora Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve Trudeau
    Have a dealer asking about mine, just nothing that interests me out there like my 550. LOVE driving her, glad to know I'm not alone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    One thing to consider with pricing for ultra low mileage examples - condition and mileage matter less and less as a car becomes a coveted classic like the 275 GTB or, to take an extreme example, the 250 GTO. The Hagerty's charts for these cars show much less variation among class 1,2,3 and 4 than more recent, less coveted cars. So, my advice is to buy a well maintained higher mileage car. If you think the model will become a real classic, all the more reason.

8. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Hey don't burst our bubble :)

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Would guess an ultra-low mile time-capsule 275 might command a premium. 250 GTO's, being race cars, are valued primarily on competition provenance?

10. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    True on the 275, but the premium commanded is less in percentage terms than it is with 'lesser' cars. So, if you were to flash back to 1970, you'd be better off buying a 275 with 30K miles for $10K than a time capsule at $16K (just guessing at 1970 prices from memory).

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    More variants of 275, as well. Alloy/steel, short nose/long nose, carb/cam count, outside filler, roll bar, comp., etc., all of which impact value.

Color(s), mileage, & ownership history may be the only things that separate two like-conditioned 550's now and going forward. The atelier didn't exist then, either, so unlikely to find a one-of-one with carbon radio switches-to-sample.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #37 JazzyO, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Definitely not alone! Is yours Grigio Ingrid (judging by your moniker)? Love that colour on a 550!

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #38 JazzyO, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you know where those pictures came from? It sure looks like my car that was delivered in Naples Florida. Same color, wheels, shields, and quilted shelf

15. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Most certainly taken in Naples. Gorgeous car!

16. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Sharp!

17. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I am willing to trade my 550 for a 275GTS or 330GTS in reasonably good condition. Any takers? :)

18. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That is very cool !

I don't know if you ever mentioned that before :)

19. mpurcy

mpurcy Karting

Jan 29, 2013
    Oceanside Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have 2001, 21k Barchetta wheels, black on black quilted roof and shelf, not selling unless a trade for F12....

20. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    You may not have to wait to much longer :)

21. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Do you recognize this quote from a year ago on your position on basically Maranello prices?
    Has your opinion changed now because you own one yourself or because all the Maranellos have gone up in value?

Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    Well I never understand this. Why the secret. It cost what it costs just state it for heavens sake. All this secret, secret, confidential POA nonsense and so you don't mention a price. Why do I have to pm just to get a price? All the other details about the car on ??

gsjhonson
    "IMHO this usually means the car is over priced. If it's a deal the price would have been posted."

So 550 Maranellos are a deal now at $200K+ prices?

I direct this question at you with respect and am interested in hearing your answer as to why the prices are reasonable now compared to 1 year ago when you thought a 2005 575M 6 Speed HGTC car was overpriced.

22. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #47 gsjohnson, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Hi Domenic-When did I state that prices are reasonable? Or that my opinion has changed? I never new the price of your 575. "Usually" is not a definitive term. You missed the point...It's not about values...It's my belief that an ad should state the asking price.
    You never pay too much, you just buy to soon :)

23. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Are we watching a world record for a 550?

24. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    You will know the true value of the 550 when it comes up for auction at Bonhams, Coys or even Bring a trailer.

I can only state that if these prices are true:
    a) Prices in US far exceed Europe
    b) My best investment ever

Let us take a less desirable 911 SC or Carrera 3.2 (Impact bumper generation). Dealers are advertising around 40K€ and up (up from 10k€ 2 years ago). But we have recently seen very good examples on Bring a trailer auctions (medium milage, max two owners).
    In the end they sell between 30 and 36k USD (so 27-33k€).

I think the dealer game is a game best played by patient people with the right network (and a lot of free cash flow).
    I have a 928 on the Radar for 60k€, perfect one owner. That is some 40k above what it should cost. And it will sell. To the man that has everything and wants to scratch an itch today.

Michel

25. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    #50 KARICOUM, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Michel this eBay price is consistent with 550 values in Australia. Luxury car sales and collector cars are skyrocketing down under- probably the trickle down from the Melbourne & Sydney property boom making these two cities among the most expensive