550 door locking issues | FerrariChat

550 door locking issues

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Earl of Cavendish, Nov 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Earl of Cavendish

May 22, 2013
    Victoria,Australia
    Full Name:
    James Earl
    Locking the doors has become erratic so I removed the door trims as per a wonderful post and it all looks OK inside.When the car lock is activated using the fob the door lock can cycle through lock/unlock up to 6 times before stopping and at this point the external door handle may or may not open the door (generaly not ),this happens on both doors,the alarm is activated also.The sound signal should be once for lock and twice for unlock but it is generally three or more times on occasion .When the alarm is deactivated the door lock is generally unlocked but sometimes the key has to be used .I have replaced the alarm system and had the pin number extracted from the ECU on the floor under the passengers seat (R H D ,UK delivery) and reset to the original PIN, all the fobs were set back to the original PIN also,after this everything was perfect for some time but the problem has arisen since .Is it possibly an issue with an ECU which controls all this (other than the one under the seat),where might it be?,if not what else could be the cause.

2. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds like a mechanical adjustment in the door locking mechanism or the mechanism is binding. I would start in that area before playing with the electrics. Maybe disconnect the mechanism from one door at a time to help narrow down the side then go from there.

3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Ironically, I have noticed when its was cold outside I had the same issue, in addition, to the alarm chip being erratic.

My door issue would occur, only when cold approx. 5 degrees Celsius and maybe 20% of the time, it would take multiple times to get the drivers door to shut, it would bounce off the latch when i closed the door, so I had to repeatedly lock / unlock the door with the switch in the car!

Dropped my car off for service couple months ago, tech installed a new Interstate car battery, as mine was on the way out and it cured the issue
    This was on my list of to do's over the Canadian winter, however, I no longer have to address this and now I have a spare alarm (corvette) lol

Try a new battery?

Richard Day likes this.
  4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My car would not unlock when cold. Your problem may be similar, maybe not, but here is what I did. I cleaned and degreased the pivot for the door lock mechanism and replaced the helper spring that was no longer helping. In may case the door lock tab in the handle would move but not enough and so it would go back to where it started. It would mean I'd have to keep pressing the button over and over until the tab finally would move enough to stay in position.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/550-door-locks-not-locking.552579/

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Earl. Good to hear you too have some fun with these cars. Mine was a bit like that for a while, but nothing happened to the electronics. After a period where I used the car almost every day, the problem disappeared... Also same for the power steering which sometimes was hard, but still power assistance. Now it works perfect all the time. Are you sure you exercise her enough.?!?!

6. Earl of Cavendish

May 22, 2013
    Victoria,Australia
    Full Name:
    James Earl
    For those that are interested,the following problems were found en route to fixing the problem.When the system is unlocked (disarmed) a signal is sent from the Alarm system ECU (part 160 ,section L64 page 194 of 550 workshop manual) to the door locking control outside module (part 162) via the window control switch (part 164) this was not happening so the doors could not be unlocked unless you used the key.Firstly the part 162 had a dry solder joint which was repaired by resoldering the affected joints,then the part 164 was found to be not sending on the signal to the part 162 although it was receiving a signal from the alarm ECU,I could not repair this item (164) and found a new one in the UK which was fitted and everything then worked perfectly except the passengers window ,the original unit was tried again and this time it decided to work again so now all is OK and I hope it stays that way and I have a spare part 164!
    I did have the Alarm ECU investigated by a chap here in Australia (who I can highly recommend ) and he has reinstalled the original pin number and matched up my 3 fobs,I also had the main power board with all the relays and fuses resoldered as it had some dry joints also,at the same time the relays for the fuel pumps were replicated so that the original relays only act as switches to external fuel pump relays which do not take current from the main board and will do the same for the fan relays in the future,the result of all this no more random lights coming on and peace of mind for the moment.