550 Electrical question | FerrariChat

550 Electrical question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by root, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Everything was working great. Car parked indoors covered with battery tender connected. Wanted to replace wiper blades. Turned key to on position. Turned wiper switch on, wipers moved. When in vertical position, turned key off to keep them in that position to facilitate blades removal and installation. Replaced wiper blades. Turned switch back on expecting wipers to return to rest position, but wipers did not return. They stayed in the vertical position. Manipulated the wiper switch on and off, nothing doing. Checked gas filler and brake lights. Both stopped working. Must be fuse #4, right? Wrong. Replaced fuse. Still no wipers, stop lights or gas door. Left car sitting for a few days. Started it today and after a minute or two the wipers suddenly went back to rest position. Tried operating them, but they did not work. Still no brake lights or gas door. Also, turn signals (fuse #3) have stopped working. Not sure when they stopped, but last time I drove the car they were working fine. Both fuse #3 and #4 are good. Tried the battery disconnect reconnect, but that didn't help either. Appreciate any idea of where I should be looking. Thanks.
    Riad

2. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Operating on the premise of when in doubt RTFM, I reread the WSM for clues. Thought it could be the N relay, which operates the key-operated controls. Replaced it and everything is back to working as they should.

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Was just about to suggest swapping relays when I read your 2nd post :) Congrats! We have lots of spooky problems with these cars and most are related to electrons not going where they're supposed to and/or being where they're not supposed to be!!! :)

4. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    BOSCH = JUNK, Why would Ferrari ever buy a Computer system off of Bosch's shelf and try to hack it into the Maranello's and not have one made specifically for the cars. A box with a lot of wires sticking out doesn't mean you can make it work well in your cars.

5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks John & Chuck. I'm replacing all the Bosch relays with similar fresh Tyco relays even though I seem to recall that Tyco took over Bosch's relay production a few years ago. Maybe the original Bosch relays in our cars are too old which can make them a little erratic and temperamental (believe me I know) because what I did with the wipers should not kill a relay or even blow a fuse.
    Riad