550 exhaust...so I got bored today | FerrariChat

550 exhaust...so I got bored today

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Apr 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well I got bored today and started taking the 550M exhaust system out. What a pain. I was going after the central muffler and the only way to get it out was to make enough space by taking off the bumper! Anyway, here are some datapoints:

550M
    Central muffler weight 25lbs
    Rear muffler 34lbs each!

I'm going to weld up some straight pipes to replace the central muffler tomorrow. I think I have to find another solution to the rear cans. It is just wrong to put back 68 unnessesary pounds back in the car. I'll post up some pictures later if you guys are interested.

2. Mike550M

Mike550M Karting

May 9, 2007
    Westchester,PA
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Let me know what it sounds like,I think I might do the same.Are you going to bring the central ones to a local guy to make straight pipes as a replacement?Let me know what it cost you.Thanks.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- For sure. Any idea on the rear mufflers yet? Make sure and try it with stock mufflers and the straight pipes to see how you like it. You can always try with the valves wired open to see if you like it better. If you are happy with that sound bypass the solenoid. Unfortunately 550 valves are closed at idle (575M valves are open at idle), so that tames the idle sound quite a bit.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No...I'm dangerous with cutting tools and a welder. So far it has cost me 40 bucks or so in pipe. I hope it sounds narly nasty loud and makes me some horsepower.

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    pics pretty plz

6. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    and sound file too, please!

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Even so, the idle sound is very sporty. Certainly not loud but that comes when the valves open.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You forgot to mention all the whiney baby fussing you were doing before I started to remove the wheels so that we could get to the bolts.

Hahahahahaaa!!!!

:D :p

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    But yes boys, those mufflers are HEAVY!!!

We actually actually took guesses as to how much they weighed.

Guess who was closest. ;)

10. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Or you can leave the central one in and replace the rear cans with straight pipes. That's what I did for a while. Then I also replaced the central one with FF's silenced X pipes, but it's now quite loud.

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes I thought about leaving the central muffler but while straight through like a resonator it has this factory ovalized restrictive crimp in it for some unknown reason. It sounds not too loud with just the central. What was it like for you to drive it around with factory central only as a daily driver?

12. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #12 cwwhk, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    The rear cans seem to only silence the low rpm grumble while the central can seems to silence the higher rpm volume. So when I was running only the central can, it was louder than stock at idle but as you run up the rpm range the engine sound level seems to get disproportionately quiet. A strange sensation for me anyways. That's why I later opted for FF's silenced X pipes. Now the sound is nice through out the rpm range and engine revs much quicker to red line, which no doubt is due to removal of OEM oval restriction. I did not notice much loss of torque as there is plenty of it to start with.

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #13 fatbillybob, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #14 fatbillybob, Apr 10, 2009
    So because I was lazy and did not want to take the time to fabricate from mandrels I cut the shaped nose off the central muffler and the shaped pipe after the central muffler. I figured there was no way I would put the central muffler back and I could weld it back if I wanted to but why? Also, who would buy such a POS? No value so I cut it.

Then I cut a piece of 2.25" OD 23.75" long and TIG welded the old nose and the old tail to the new straight section.

It now weights 14lbs for both. I took out 11lbs of crap and a giant exhaust restriction. If you look back at the central muffler you can see the squished section just aft of the muffler.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #15 fatbillybob, Apr 10, 2009
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #16 308 GTB, Apr 10, 2009
    FBB,

I think that was a great way to fabricate your straight pipes. It saved you some mandrel bending and welding for sure. Plus you didn't have to make new hangers and weld them to the pipes. I think you'll be pleased with the straight pipes and stock valved muffler set-up. If you have the chance, take a picture of the outlet end of your center muffler looking directly into the muffler body to update the one I posted of stephens unit. It would show just how much of a restriction that "squished section" produces.

Barry

Here's stephens' picture of the outlet restriction:

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Looks great. If I had any idea what to do with a welder, which I do not, that is what I would have done. I am much better with a fly rod.

I gave away my stock 575M rear mufflers, valves and all. Cannot believe your central muffler would have been worth more. Might be a market for the straight pipes, though, if you can find the end pieces.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    alright! practice before I bring my car over :D

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you think its possible to cut the center section out without removing the rear cans if you are going to use it as a donor for the ends?

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not think you will have the room because you will need to move the intermediate pipe and cans rearward to slip in the center straight pipes. The length of the two slip-on ferrari lips are about 3" and you have maybe 2" to play with. So I would think you would have to at least loosen the bumper and slide it back on its bolts for that last inch. The other is how do you squarely cut the center section out? The front slipon is slanted and the rear had weld blobs on it so you can't use that slick muffler cutting tool with the carbide roller wheels. You will have to get a sawzall blade in there and it is difficult to be square because you want to be when you weld it to your straight section. My cut and weld are very precise. I used very little TIG filler rod infact . While the whole process is a pain it is easy just time consuming and of course it is hard for one guy because you need 3 hands and then cans are heavy and the bumper is heavy. So for part of the job a friend to hold things really helps. By the way the reason I reused the ferrari tail section is that looking into the pipe it is mandrel and not crush bent so the exhaust velocity should be unchanged. I think I'll go finish this project and take the car for a drive.

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm thinking maybe put a V-band clamp in the new pipe section that way you could slip the pipes in and join them with the V-band clamp.

22. adrenalater

adrenalater Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff Stevens
    #22 adrenalater, Apr 11, 2009
    Please don't flame me too much for a <gasp> pcar picture - it's only here to make a point. Which is ... 550/575s are reaching the point where not-well-heeled DIY'ers like me can consider them. I couldn't see paying $4k for a 911tt exhaust, so I worked with a fabricator buddy to create this one. I designed it and spun wrenches, he cut and welded the stainless. We also made straight pipes that could be quickly swapped in place of the lower mufflers. I got a lot of compliments on the sound.

Jeff

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- That looks very good. Your friend is a pretty handy welder. Looks like a lot of mixing going on where those pipes meet. Should have a very nice burble.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

24. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Really a nice job in design and execution.

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1 - great job!

Onno