550 FHP Reproduction Package? | FerrariChat

550 FHP Reproduction Package?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sherpa23, Jan 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I know that you can no longer buy the parts for the FHP package for the 550 but has anyone come up with suitable substitutes or replacement parts? Obviously some parts are more easy to replace than others, e.g. how do you reproduce the power steering control, but there should be some level of high quality substitution parts available, right? Has anyone done this and is there a list compiled anywhere?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what is on the 550 FHP. No shocks. Having springs wound and an anti-roll bar made is relatively simple and one owner had FHP springs made.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, Taz. Very good and complete info.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I had springs custom wound. About $100-120 per corner. Any race shop could fab an ARB for a couple of hundred dollars. The F ones if you can get are silly money.
    Philip

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- I was trying to remember who had that done. Yours looked just like OEM.

We should talk to Daniel about doing a kit, or Paul Hill. Would be a money maker for just the springs and anti-roll bar at $1500 or less.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I would love to find someone who could do the bar. I would be up for having a few made if it kept the unit costs down. Or I guess we could do a group buy.

Also, is is 100% known exactly what the correct (and optimal) spring lengths and rates are for the cars? I know that there is a difference between FHP and HTGC and maybe some controversy about what the actual numbers are.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No controversy, we have the complete specs for the FHP springs and relative stiffness of HGTC and FHP from Ferrari, but no HGTC spring specs, even in the last WSM from 2006. The FHP spring specs are in the 575M Technical Thread. Stiffness compared to OEM below:

HGTC

Front Springs: 35% Stiffer
    Rear Springs: 15% Stiffer
    19.5 mm Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 73% Stiffer

FHP

Front Springs: 32% Stiffer
    Rear Springs: 12.5% Stiffer
    21 mm Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 133% Stiffer

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Very cool. Do you have the actual springs rates and unsprung lengths for those?

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yes, FHP in the 575M Technical Thread. But not for HGTC.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Great. Thank you.

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I am sure my race shop could do a bar. PM me and I'll provide contact details.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Make the bars adjustable I'd be in for 1-2 sets.

Call me crazy but I have 2 550's and the steering is different on both. Both have the Maranello Skunkworks switchable steering ECU's. I actually like the super light steering for the track because power steering is power steering it may as well be light precise and not tire you out. If it was manual rack and pinion that's a different story. Racing is hard work. Light steering is an advantage as is a butter light clutch.

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

We're looking at doing an FHP package, minus the suspension ECU. We've had a EE with a wealth of embedded experience (obviously not me :)) working on the suspension ECU, but we haven't cracked it yet.

We do have a proposal for a 22mm hollow bar, which the (highly regarded) manufacturer says provides the same rigidity, etc. as a 21mm solid, and would be adjustable (just for you Carl :)).

We understand there have been issues with other sway bar reverse engineering attempts on other subforums here, so we're not using that manufacturer, nor will we offer these until they've been proven to fit and work on our own cars.

This package hasn't been a high priority for us, but if there's real interest, we can give it a bump in priority.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Since all the components except the 550 shock ECU work on 550s and 575Ms, seems like there would be a market. Springs should be easy and Philip and FBB have already done that.

A 22 mm hollow bar as stiff as a solid 21 mm bar? Not sure that passes my "that looks about right" (TLAR) test. Easy to calculate once you get some details. 4th power function IIRC.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- I guess it depends on how thick the outer layer is. Have to do some research. Most suspension torsion bars were solid, but my old 356A had hollow torsion bars, so sounds like you are correct. I thought the hollow bars were much larger in diameter, though, but lighter in weight, for the same stiffness. They were relatively large on the 356A.

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John, sounds like you have it covered.
    Philip

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm not an engineer but wouldn't the hollow vs. solid sway bar argument depend entirely on the wall thickness of the hollow bar in question?

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #19 ferraridriver, Jan 24, 2014
    Yes, A hollow bar with a slight increase in OD can have the same torsional rigidity as a solid bar of the same modulus of elasticity but with significant weight reduction at a certain wall thickness.

Think of it this way. When a bar is twisted the center doesn't move, the further out you get from the center the more relative movement you get. Therefore removing the center and adding a small amount to the OD can give the same torsional rigidity as a solid bar but will be much lighter.

Here's the math.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#20 Cribbj, Jan 25, 2014
  20. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    I'm in for a kit if this comes to fruition.

Derik

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- All the math looks good. I had previously used the same equations to calculate the relative differences in stiffness between the 17 mm, 19.5 mm and 21 mm anti-roll bars, but that simplified down to ratios of the 4th powers of the diameters.

I did not realize a hollow tube saved that much weight.

22. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    me too.

23. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    If it turns out that my 575M doesn't have the FHP (which I am going to check when I take it out of winter storage in the Spring), then I would most probably be in for a kit as well

Clyde

24. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    In case anyone is keeping track, I'd also consider joining in for a kit for my 2004 575M.