550 FHP Reproduction Package? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

550 FHP Reproduction Package?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sherpa23, Jan 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  2. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks for the info and link Henry

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    last i heard :

FHP factory springs $2k+
    Suspension ECU $3k

maybe you can get the KW kit $5-6k wholesale.... ? this is more fatbilly areas

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    To answer the question you could recalculate the front rear chassis frequency for a 10% split and the porposing will go away. That is industry standard. In my case running moton shocks it also runs industry standard 2.5" springs. I can buy any spring in infinite rates for $60 bucks a spring. In the Ferrari case I think a standard spring will fit if the spring perches are modified or remade. Then you too can use cheap high quality hyperco or eibach springs until your eye go blurry. As easy way to get what you want is have rob at delta vee do it for you. He will get in your head to figure out what you want and customize a package just for you. In Ferrari world stock, fhp, hgtc are just shoe sizes small, medium, large. The fit depends on the user. One size does not fit all. Delta vee will get you 1/2 sizes , EE etc. Just the way you want it.

6. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
  7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, there will be no more switchable harnesses offered by Skunkworks, that doesn't mean you can't make your own. On a 575 the activating switch must be something other than the sport switch due to the fact that the 575 has a completely different shock ECU.

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks Dave
    The 575 does have an unused dashboard switch that I gather was left that way for possible future updates, but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to do it on my own. I am definitely not a "hands on" person, hence the reason I originally contacted your partner John because I do intend to take advantage of your other offerings for my 575 over time.
    Clyde

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That "dummy" switch is a rear fog light switch for countries that mandate a rear fog light.

Note that its not even a switch, just the toggle, there is no switch inside.

10. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Oh ok, well, as I've said, I don't know how to do a switch myself and would have to get someone else to do it for me. My first order of business on my 575 would be to do something to get rid of the float and porpoising which I really dislike, and would involve either changing the shock ECU's or replacement springs and/or replacement shocks as per FatBillyBob's suggestions.
    Clyde

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if i had your cash... ;).....

i'd spring for the shock ecu first to see what that does as i "hear" the later 575s dont have that issue FHP or not...

the KW kit has some type of ecu plug in that eliminates the dummy alert light...

i dont have the skill to replicate something like fatbilly and needed something turnkey

12. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Are you sure Henry?
    My cash? More like my lack of it! Otherwise I would have just ordered the FHP or the HGTC kit from Ferrari which the local Ferrari dealer here in Toronto is offering for an outrageous sum.
    Yea, I think I'll see if I can get a hold of the correct shock ECU first, and if I can, then see how much that helps.
    I need something turnkey as well. I am going to speak with the shop where I purchased the car who has a guy there that worked for the Ferrari F1 team for 17 years (even under Michael Schumacher) and also helped develop the F430 while he still was at Ferrari. I am sure they have some advice and maybe have done something for other customers on this before.
    Clyde

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think this is the best route to take

14. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks Dave, I will keep everyone posted once I talk to them.
    Clyde

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well the shocks have a side effect of adding wheel rate. Why not manually adjust the shocks over a porpoising piece of road to see if shock adjustment even has the capacity to add/subtract enough rate to make you happy? You goal is a 10% lower ride frequency than the rear. Ride frequency is loosely proportional to wheel rate which is loosely proportional to spring rate. A bar will not change the ride frequency thus not effect porpoising one way or the other because it only activates its change in wheel rate in a turn.

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I found the sport/standard, upgraded shock ECU/standard ECU made little difference to the porpoising. It's all about controlling longitudinal weight transfer which is springs. The hgtc spec springs made a big difference. Once this is sorted, you can next tune the lateral u/s, o/s balance with the ARBs.

17. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I agree with Philip, the shock ECU upgrade made little difference in my 2002. I wanted and installed the "package", FHP in my case adding springs and bar.
    Tifosi you are going to need to either follow FBB's advice attempting to adjust the existing shocks/springs or get some improved springs like Philip to likely find your happy zone for the porpoising. That's what it took for me. And if you decide to copy a spring "package", suggest you copy HGTC as now we know they are slightly stiffer. FHP is good but I wouldn't have minded a little more firm.
    Bill
    FL

18. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Thanks for the advice Bill (and others), seems that's my best route. The thing is, how does one find out the specs on either the FHP or HGTC springs to provide to someone to copy?
    Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Clyde, it's all been posted before if you use the search.
    Philip

20. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

I haven't quite figured out how to use the search function on Ferrarichat, I do it manually, where is the search button?
    Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Top right hand side of any thread has a link titled "Search this Thread"

From the home page, top left side has a Button "Search"

22. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    ok thanks

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We have specs on the FHP springs, but not the HGTC springs.

24. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #99 tifosi_, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. seanc

seanc Rookie

May 14, 2014
    is there an update on the kit? thx