550 flat tire kit ? | FerrariChat

550 flat tire kit ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thibaut, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi everybody
    My 550 came without any gear for flat tire.
    I my experience small spare tires are a chore : impossible to fit and then what do you do with the big alloy ?

Apparently there is a can of foam which allows to fill the punctured tire so that you can drive the car at low speed to get to a dealer. Anyone was an idea of the price of that thing and where i could get it through mail order ?

The usual foam kits are that can be found at petrol stations are not suited for the size of a 550 tire.

2. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    ...and few dealers even carry this in stock. I bought a German item from JCW which come with a small compressor that forces the liquid into the tire. My expereince of actually using these things is that the cans dont have enough pressure to get the tire pressure up high enough to drive.

But with that said it is more than likely that if you get anywhere near a flat tire while rolling, you will do enough damage to the tire to prevent the use of any first aid.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    my 550 has the optional spare tire, which eats up trunk space, but i'm glad i have it. my 996TT came with the fix-a-flat stuff AND a cigarette-lighter compressor so you could inflate the thing. i wouldn't trust the fix a flat stuff without having a battery-or cig-lighter-run compressor on hand as well.

i've also heard that the fix-a-flat stuff has a relatively short shelf life - like two years, maybe three - and most of the cars have their original can in them so it might be useless anyway.

doody.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    quote <The usual foam kits are that can be found at petrol stations are not suited for the size of a 550 tire.>

Buy two, they are available at any auto supply store or mass merchandiser type store. About $8 each in the USA, cheaper on sale. I have a spare in both my cars, but these are cheap "back ups".

In addition, join a "auto club" that offers road side assistance. AAA here in the States, CAA in Canada. Last resort, they flat bed you to a tire store. :)