550 gas tank removal? | FerrariChat

550 gas tank removal?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Anyone have pointers on how to get the fuel tank out of a 550? does the exhaust system have to be removed? does it come out the top through the trunk?

I did search, no luck

Thanks, Dave

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- It comes out through the luggage compartment in the 575M. I can post the 575M procedure if you like. It was published in a technical bulletin. Some detail differences, but should be similar. Includes color photos.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Taz, that should help.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    same on the 550, taz

5. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Wow- what detail. Nice job Mr. Taz.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    wow Taz! where are you getting all that postable detail. Who's manual is that and where can you get it? I have only seen paper manuals with no color pics and crappy CD's with typical Ferrari detail. Your manual looks like a GM manual with color pictures. It is awesome!

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Curious, Is this out of necessity?

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been getting a gas smell, not sure where it's coming from, but according to Taz's pictures it looks like I can check the fuel pump covers without taking the tank out. It may be the filler hose, anyone know if I can check/replace that with the tank in place?

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Yes you can. Remove the right hand wheel well housing and the entire assembly is easily accessible. My WSM is protected, so unable to post the images.

The WSM, Technical Bulletins, Parts Manuals, SD2/OBD2 Codes, and Flat Rate manual are all available from:

kurt white [[email protected]]

I have the 550 WSM, but not section M for bodywork. Anybody have access to section M?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Terry, I have the 550 manuals as well on CD. but not the "M" section. I have no pictures of the fuel tank except a drawing showing the locations of the various components.

BTW, its possible but may not be legal, to post pictures or text from a protected PDF file.

Just take a screen shot, save it, then post as an attachment.

If you can see it on your screen its toast as far as being protected goes.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Then your CDs are not genuine.

Taz's is a Ferrari CD

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dave, take the tank out. Your smell is coming from the top. Its really easy. The hardest part is draining it.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Taz, Rifledriver, Boba anyone:

is #14 in the original Taz posted the overfill drain....it doens't show the final exit port. Know where that exists as the 456 must be similar.

also

Removing the right wheel to access = same for the 456 GT...need to get in there for a lookie see.

rik

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    As usual, Brian has the experience you need. All I can usually provide are images of the procedures. Helpful, but not anywhere near the whole answer since I have not disassembled them like Brian has.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Well, your documents are very valuable, and always enjoy them...don't stop.

rik

16. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Resurrecting this thread; like many 550 owners, I’ve been chasing a persistent fuel odor in the trunk & cabin of the car.

Before I purchased my 550, according to its service records, it was in/out of FoW several times since 2006 for this problem. They changed the fuel pump covers and seals, and they revised/upgraded some of the hoses from OEM Ferrari to aftermarket ATL, plus they changed all the hose clamps to Oetiker style. Nevertheless, the fuel smell persisted, and was never completely sorted.

Fast forward to 2011, and the shop I’m using in Houston smoke tested the evap system and found that the filler cap wasn’t sealing completely, and there was a nicked o-ring in one of the purge valves. Both of these minor issues have been sorted but the fuel smell still persists.

I think it’s probably time for the tank to come out and to change the valves and seals on top, as well as the rollover valve, plus anything else back there that’s known to be problematic, and is normally inaccessible when the tank is in place.

My questions to those who have actually pulled the tank:

1. Do you have any tips to make the job go easier, and to avoid nicking the paint in the trunk? I had anticipated putting several layers of blue painter’s masking tape around the trunk opening to protect it, plus perhaps a layer of foam rubber, unless the tank is such a tight fit that this extra padding would make it impossible to extract?

2. How much clearance did you have between the tank, and the trunk opening? Could you get your hands around both sides of the tank to extract it, or did you have to support it from below and extract it?

3. Can one person extract it, if it’s pretty well drained, or does it require two people?

4. According to Taz’s printouts from the 575 manual, it looks like the job requires the rear wheels to be off and the inner fender liners to be removed to get at the holddowns for the tank. Has anyone done the job from jackstands, or is a floor lift really the best way?

Thanks in advance for any input.

17. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    John, From what I remember it is a very tight fit. I managed to get the check valve gaskets replaced without getting the tank all the way out. I didn't want to take the trunk gasket off. It was really tight on the valve at the front of the tank, but I was able to wiggle it out and replace the gasket. Inner fenders do have to come off. I drained mine completely and it was still pretty heavy. I'd guess that to get it all the way out would require two people. Jack stand would be difficult I'd think.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What goes bad Dave? Any pictures? Is this a typical 550 problem? It is the check valve seal not the check valves themselves?

19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Dave, thanks for that information. Did you replace only the valves on top of your tank?

There's supposed to be a rollover valve after the vapor separator and a tank breather valve in or near the filler circuit, and apparently those can be leakers too?

20. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #21 ferraridriver, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Its the check valves rubber gaskets, they are a new part number now. I guess it was to do with ethanol. The old ones are white, the new ones are green.

Yes, That's all I replaced, this was the advice I got from Brian Crall, and it solved the fumes problem.

Number 43 in the diagram, there are three of them, all on top. The one for valve# 33 is the hard one to get out, the rest are easy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Hey Dave:

Did you check the fuel pump ports for cracks? When I performed this task I found disintegrated fuel pump gaskets floating around in the bottom of the tank, along with the cracked port covers.

22. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Mark,

Mine were all OK. it was the old style check valve gaskets that were leaking.

The tip off was you could only smell fumes on a full tank.

23. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    ahh, something to look forward to.

24. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I am told the fuel pumps are surronded by some kind of sound insulation that with time it disintegrates and may prevent the pump(s) to put out the correct fuel pressure.
    Has anyone any experience with this?