550 GT1 Prodrive sold for $4,290,000!?! | FerrariChat

550 GT1 Prodrive sold for $4,290,000!?!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Someone please explain.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AtSomePoint and crinoid like this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it was on the high end of its estimate so someone agreed with that price.

beautiful, sounds great, decent race history (Spa 24 win is a big deal), one of the last front engine V12 Ferrari race cars.

ewright, Jack-the-lad and crinoid like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Good call, I just don’t get it. Got that price why not a 333SP, Daytona comp, 275, Le Mans winner, older, rarer etc?

the big one is I think I’m more knowledgeable and know the market better than 99% out there and I can’t distinguish this one from the dozens of 6-digit ones that have sold. Well, the 1% smarter than me this time including you.

lorenzobandini, Flavio_C, BJK and 2 others like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The angle DK was using in presenting it is that it’s likely that most recent and very last V12 GT race car Ferrari and that one has good race history. Ferrari GT’s are more important than F1 to a lot of guys. As for the rest I guess a buying frenzy bidding war was able to be created...?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    JRE, BJK, rob lay and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If I had the $$ I would prefer the Daytona over the 550 as it’s certainly more user friendly and eligible for so many road and race events. The 550 will only ever be a track monster or a museum piece. I’m surprised the Daytona didn’t do better.

JRE, GuyIncognito, BJK and 1 other person like this.
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A lot of it is being driven by the demand for GT1 category cars currently.

These are the last of the mechanical cars driven by manual sequential gearboxes and they don't
    need a team of engineers to start them. All it takes is for a magazine to run an article on the joys
    of GT1 cars, collectors start picking up their phones and values start to rise.

In the case of 550 GT Maranellos, just look at them. They're simply magnificent. The cars were
    contenders in all the series they competed, ALMS, FIA GT and at Le Mans. I was fortunate at
    the height of my photo career to work for both Prodrive and the Olive Garden Rafanelli teams
    so these cars have a special place in the heart.

The road version 550 Maranello was described as "the best car Ferrari ever built" to me by one of
    the most revered Ferrari mechanics in the country several years ago. So, there's that.

As in the case of the Lamborghini R-GT GT1 car we have at Curated, the cars are bringing huge
    interest and values are trending up as there are revival/historic series where the cars are eligible
    to take part which also drives the market.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    maybe time to update the price on that car? :)

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes and not a great track car at that, a $125k 458 Challenge Evo can probably take it?

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Things like this just tell me how worthless fiat currencies are becoming. Assets will go up first before consumer prices. This is another example of that along with the hundreds of $3mm+ hypercars in current production/design with buyers lined up. That's what happens when governments double the money supply (monetary inflation) in under a decade.

ewright and lorenzobandini like this.
  11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Pro Drive cars were very dominant in their respective category. Plus it was a good looking car, much nicer and faster than the 575 GTC cars from the factory.

By the way, that Traco Daytona #14065 was a modified steel bodied Daytona with well tuned Traco high output V12. Not an alloy comp car. If it was a real alloy comp car I can see it going very high. Can you imagine driving up in one of the Pozzi Group 4 1972/73 Lemans/SPA cars?? People would drool on your car.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    thanks for that explanation!

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm with Rob on this one. I scratched my head long and hard trying to understand it, but I simply cannot. As someone who's owned multiple factory-built comp cars, I just don't. I've watched pricing on these for a while, and it STILL doesn't make any sense to me. Now, it's an auction, so if there's someone who MUST have it, so be it. Who am I to say what it should be? But, I wouldn't have bid this over $350K, as much as I might like it. And, even 333 numbers just don't make sense, either. Awesome cars, to be sure, BUT there's a very small group of individuals who can actually drive, support and maintain these cars. Finding someone who's also got $3-5MM at the ready to plunk down on one is an even smaller pool. But, hey, supply and demand...

Congrats to the new owner. I hope they run it.

CW

15. FerrariCountach

Jul 30, 2020
    The 6 Ferrari FX that were built by Pininfarina were all fitted with pro drives semi-automatic transmission and the Sultan thought they were awful.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Only one had paddle shift installed by Williams F1 and it never really worked properly without eating clutches.

FerrariCountach likes this.
  17. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Aside from the Prototipo #12547, Ferrari officially built a total of 15 official "Clienti Assistenza" 365 GTB/4 Competizione customer cars, divided into three series (i.e. five in each series). It was only the First Series cars which were Alloy. The second of these five Alloy Series I cars, #14429, was built for Dottore Paolo Mariani for road use (i.e. reputedly a friend of Enzo's).

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So was #14065 a factory Comp car...

19. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    No, it was a period privateer. Hence the much lower price estimate.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That was sort of my point, although you are right about them not being all alloy. I think almost all of the 15 series cars had alloy panels, but probably due to the weight limits set on them by the new constantly changing rules were mostly steel on the later cars, helping Porsche. Just like on the early all alloy Alfa GTAM's it always seems to help German cars, that time BMW CSL :)

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Correction, mostly alloy GTAM's, some with alloy floors and roof. Alfa went crazy on weight.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I absolutely love the 550 Maranello and the racecars...but this price utterly baffles me. Makes ZERO sense. You can get an FXX AND Schumacher V10 car for the same money....

23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #23 Terra, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    ALL steel-bodied STREET 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupes (on which the 15 'Clienti Assistenza' Competizione cars were based), and 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spiders were fitted from new with both alloy front hoods (bonnets) and alloy rear trunk lids (boots).

It's true some of the very early STREET 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupes were also fitted new with alloy door skins.

24. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #24 Terra, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    I don't think you'll be finding any Schumacher V10 F1 cars for $1-2 million (i.e. an FXX will currently set one back $3 million-plus).

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah I thought an FXX was around 2m these days.

Perhaps settle for an irvine-Barrichello car :D

Anyways, my point was more that a more usable track day car (as that's what the 550 GT1 would be, too, at best)...and one that's miles faster, for the same price.