550 Hood release | FerrariChat

550 Hood release

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 355michael, Dec 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355michael

355michael Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2006
    Phila Area
    I have a 1998 550M that I drive everyday. Its been cold and snowy here in the NE over the last week so while there is snow on the ground I wanted to keep the car plugged in the trickle charger. I have a Ferrari charger that comes off the battery. Few days ago I went to open the hood and the handle just kind of dangled there-not opening the hood. I assume this is connected to some kind of cable release and perhaps this slopped off? Anyway I cant open the hood. Any easy suggestions other that taking to get repaired.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Have you tried the emergency release described in your handbook ?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    550 hoods are great, especially when they ripple enough to make the warning light come on when you're going over 180! :eek:

T'was a real Kodak moment the first time I saw it! :D :D

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #4 308 GTB, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've extended the emergency release with a cable tie as it's a bit short and doesn't really give enough leverage.

6. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #6 jay575, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did you ever get your hood open? The emergency cable is the same operating mechanism as the inside handle.

Another problem is that the hood latch springs can compress and not allow the hood to open. Happened to me. There are 2 hood latches and each cost $410. The latch just consists of a hood attachment nut, a spring and an adjustment screw. You just need the spring but it is not for sale separately. To minimize the cost I had a spring company custom fabricate four zinc plated springs for $60 each. I had 4 springs made and used two. If anyone has this problem I'll sell the other 2 for my cost.

First pic is the latch. Second is the new springs and the compressed one in the middle. (Sorry for the poor photos.)

To install, all you have to do is unscrew the adjustment screw from the hood nut, remove the old spring, insert the new one and screw it back into latch nut. Shut the hood to see if it latches properly. If not, open the hood and screw the adjustment screw in or out to adjust the latch to its base plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login