550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas | Page 12 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mbyormark, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Is the owner of this car on here?

This sounds quite similar to Fabio's sytem, but without the high pitch, shrieking metallic sound which I personally do not like.

pkl03 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That makes you just about the only one that does not like the high pitched, F1-like scream.

marce, tres55, subirg and 1 other person like this.
  3. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Well, I am not so sure I am the only one who would enjoy a smoother, traditional howling V12 sound out of a 550 which is a traditional front-engined Ferrari, and as such bears little resemblance with a Formula 1 car and its usualy deafening, aggressive sound.
    A Formula 1 sound out of an elegant and rather lardy GT is missing the point, I think.

I know sounds are subjective and the accuracy of recorded sounds on various videos will higly depend on mic quality and location, but this is what I am talking about :

I am well aware that the sound of carbs will be hard to replicate on a fuel-injected engine but there has to be a way to get a decent balance between loudness and smoothness without getting to a volume level or high pitch metallic noise that can become a problem for folks like me with over-sensitive (or just plain old) ears.

F456M, Oengus, zooyorker and 2 others like this.
  4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you have actually heard a SWB or GTO with open pipes, they are pretty loud and high pitched. Even my old Daytona with half a set of mufflers had a nice, high pitched scream.

5. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "If you have actually heard a SWB or GTO with open pipes,"
    The high pitched scream of a 250 SWB at the red line is unforgettable; that sound imprinted me on Ferraris in 1962.

F456M and Oengus like this.
  6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I get what TTM is talking about. The high pitch and high volume with headers (I only had 550 manifolds on my 575M) is subjective for the status of the 550/575 as it is more of a reserved car.

I prefer stock manifolds for daily use. But the headers really wakes up the power delivery to make the 550/575 relevant to modern performance metrics.

F456M and bruzzifumi like this.
  7. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    ... and there is something a little ridiculous or pathetic with a heavy GT screaming its nuts off when some other more mundane cars making far less noise go faster.

I have not seen a 250 GTO racing but I have heard a couple of 250 SWB and they had none of this terrible high pitch shriek. Either they had proper exhausts or perhaps I'm not the only one with damaged hearing after all.

bruzzifumi and zooyorker like this.
  8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Free rev difference between manifolds on a 575M. Both videos have the same post-manifold exhaust (equal length downpipes to 2.75" x-pipe, 2.5" titanium exhaust with valves)

575M manifolds:

550 manifolds (shorty headers):

NE550 likes this.
  9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I don't think its ridiculous or pathetic for these cars to be loud. But most owners treat them as long distance cars, not performance cars.

Swapping from 575M to 550 manifolds took a half second off my 60-130 time, that is a MASSIVE power gain. If it wasn't my daily driver, I would have kept the headers, but I look at the 550/575 as a muscle car, not a purely GT car.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Here it is under load, very similar to Fabio's system. 6-1 equal length manifolds create this noise.

F456M likes this.
  11. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  12. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    #287 niftyfivefifty, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    You aren’t hearing the headers. You are hearing the higher pitched sounds attenuated by a center silencer. This is very similar to how my car sounds with Fabio’s 6-1 headers, no cats, OEM center silencer, and straight-thru Tubi Competition mufflers.

0-100: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPwx014l-xD/?utm_medium=copy_link

Full Rev: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_chFMFiLS/?utm_medium=copy_link

A silencer will achieve the sound you are looking for with a 6-1 header. Straight rear pipes or a valved muffler will also help ("straight-thru" mufflers are going to be noisier).

F456M likes this.
  13. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Thank you for feedback. I have been following with interest your testing with different set ups on YT, but I have no access to the 2 links you posted.

Whilst the factory rear silencers probably work best with the factory double Y headers they have been designed to work with, I was curious if anybody had tried 6-1 headers with the double H pipe and factory rear silencers. This would be pretty much the opposite of what the average guy does, which is just replacing the rear silencers, but perhaps this would offer a reasonable compromise. This combination is perhaps worth trying, at least for the sake of science.

F456M likes this.
  14. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I ordered Fabios full system but have it in the back of my mind that going to OEM non HGTC mufflers with 6-1 catted headers and the h pipe might be my ideal set up. If I ever try this combo I’ll do my best to get some high quality sound clips.

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have Fabio's headers, cats, and down-pipes matched to OEM 575 straight center pipes and Superamerica HGTC mufflers. Sounds great, but there is a bit of resonance at 2500 rpm or so. Likely need Fabio's double H pipe. Relatively calm with bypass valves closed, louder as you would expect, especially at idle, with bypass valves opened remotely. Nice pop on upshifts with bypass valves open.

Auraraptor likes this.
  16. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    After starting this thread, started so many years ago, I'm finally getting double H pipes from Fabio! I'll post a video when it's installed

17. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    5 years later, I had a Flammenghi Double H pipe installed, and with the Tubis the audio doesn't do it justice! (Only revved to 3K)

18. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Do you mean tubi solo straight pipes and flammenghi double H pipe? Is that all ?
    If yes this is a nice and simple setup and I will probably go for it for my barchetta (I already have the tubi straight pipes)

19. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    Here's the second, present!;)

Timmo likes this.
  20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The H pipe does a great job addressing the drone of the tubis.

21. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here's a third that doesn't like the high pitched F1 scream.

Timmo likes this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    br- You two need to hunt down Novitec mufflers for your Maranellos. With 90 mm tailpipes (OEM ~72 mm), you get a much deeper sound regardless of what is upstream. I had them on mine with stock headers, cats, and factory straight pipes. Definitely not high pitched, and really loud. No bypass valves on mine and they would be a lot more livable with them. Did not last too long on mine, too loud.

Auraraptor likes this.
  23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My euro spec 550 sounds really good.
    Everything is stock with the exception of tubi mufflers.

24. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    I run Dimex mufflers which thankfully do not feature the usual nasal sound of Tubi mufflers. With cat delete pipes and Fabio's double H pipe the engine sounds pretty good, if still too metallic to me when the throttle bodies in the center plenum open under full load, as one can then hear pulse waves slam violently at the tail pipes. It is very far from my ideal V12 sound, but I suppose there is nothing to be done to the F133 engine to get anywhere near the perfect howling sound of a vintage carb'd V12, like this for instance :

F456M likes this.
  25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thats very close to what my 575 sounded like w Fabio headers > high flow > H pipe > SS over axel > OEM HGTC, only slight more muted due to insulation. Swapping HGTC to Fabios mufflers and its much louder with more pops/barks with valves open.